Register now to get rid of these ads!

$250 for switching R&P in banjo?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BillyBobsSpeedShop, Sep 26, 2011.

1. BillyBobsSpeedShop

BillyBobsSpeedShop

I have an open drive 3:54 ring gear and pinion that I want to put in a 39 ford banjo rear. I have never done any type of rear end work and never switched the R&P before. I have read a few tech write ups on here but just dont feel confortable doing it. So I called a shop who does rear end work and they priced switching the R&P for me and it would be around $250. Does that sound reasonable?

2. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Yup I paid $300 to have my banjo set up with 3.54's and new bearings.......of course that wasn't counting the other $700 I paid when I screw'd up the R&P from ordering the wrong one and then having to have it redone, but that's another story.

Yeah $250 is worth it man.

3. cuznbrucie

cuznbrucie

$250 is reasonable for sure.....it is a greasy, heavy, dirty, strenuous and exacting job....ask me how I know? I wouldn't do another one for $250........pay it......and save yourself a really difficult job.....

CB

4. Good, Fast or Cheap ..... you can pick any two.

5. Andy

Andy

I think that is unreasonably cheap. I hope they understand that it is like nothing else they have worked on. It requires multiple trys with different side bell gaskets to set the clearance and preload. You have to install all bolts on the bells to get the right crush of the gaskets. It is a very time consuming job.

6. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I would definitely find out how familiar they are with early Ford parts.

7. 117harv

117harv

8. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

$250 is a good deal, but I figure with a handle like "BillyBobsSpeedShop" shouldn't you be doing this yourself? :eek::rolleyes::D

9. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

You're unable to post without getting a dig in somewhere huh Zman. :D

10. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Yep, two possibilities... one is more likely than the other... either they are experts or they have no clue... That is a stupid cheap price to set one of those rears up. And I set all mine up myself!

11. BillyBobsSpeedShop

BillyBobsSpeedShop

They set my fiance's dads rear up for him, and when I spoke with the guy about the rear end he is familiar with the rears and have done many. He specializes in older cars and a bunch of old guys takes there early fords to him.

ZMAN

I probably could do the work myself and if I studied more on it it probably wouldnt be that hard. Its just my fiance wants to get married in may and I am trying to get the car done by then, and i am only able to work in the car one or two days a week so this would speed up the process. I am working crazy long hours for an aviation company as an engineer and there just isnt enough hours in the day to get some things done. So please dont think I am not capable of doing it.

Thanks

12. chopper cliff

chopper cliff
    from lodi ca

is the pinion still in the banjo? If it is, swap banjo's, you will have to swap axels if width diff. If you have never done it, best left to those who have, save alot of grief. but, really Billy Bob's????????