Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My Model A Truck will soon Scream under new Power

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Littleman, Oct 15, 2007.

1. Congrats Dave. Awesome run and thank you for the compliment.

Art

2. Cshabang

Cshabang

I saw it on Facebook and Im still giddy haha

3. Clevername

Clevername

Great thread Littleman! I know someone said this earlier, but I really appreciate you documenting everything you did. I have one question though, when you were bending valves on the 13:1 engine with the Patriot heads -I seem to recall there was an issue with crappy valve guides in the Patriot heads. Is that a fair statement?

Congratulations on the 9 pass -really incredible!

4. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

bad ass man! What was the 60' on that pass? Looks like you were shot out of a cannon.

5. modelacitizen

modelacitizen

I'm bumping this thread because its awesome.

6. Brewton

Brewton

Sweet! Haulin' ass!

7. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

clevername, Yes, the Patriot heads did not do well above 7,000 RPM's......guide problems...the seats moved...well atleast on the set I bought new and ran...

Thirdyfivepickup, the 60' time on the 9.73 pass was a 1.346, new slicks may have had helped , for the ones I am running have some time on them...

Sorry... it took so long to respond...I have been on the down low...working allot, looks like things are starting to slow down after two years of working allot of hours...I know I have been lucky to have had the hours available in these times we find ourselves in.

Quick update since some have wondered what I did w/ the Truck...I was going to build a streetable pump gas engine for the street....I did retire the six-two's from the Strip.....I did decide to bolt on the modern Dart like four barrel intake and Holley four barrel carb to play with..........I finally had it out this past Wed. night...I had to buy a buch of Holley four barrel tune jets and other stuff for it's been so long since I attempted to tune one, like back in 1986-87 when I last played w/ one......

First pass the Holley spit and spuddered but still clicked off a 11.07.....I went back to the pits and removed the carb scoop and dreaded working on this carb..Then finally realized this will be much easier than dealing w/ six old two barrels....and allot easier and allot less jets to change.....I jumped the front and back jets up three sizes, double checked the float settings and it clicked off a 10.43 w/ ease....I felt dirty...ha ha...like I cheated or something.....Tonight I jump the jets up another three sizes larger based on the plug readings, I also changed to a NGK R5671A-10 which is way colder of a plug than I was running before....Thats for the 225 hp shot of go juice I have it setup for after I have a safe good tune on this donkey.....That 9.73 was awesome to get.....But w/ this setup I am looking to eventually click off a 9.20 in this Truck and live and keep the engine together w/ the correct tune up...Then call it a day, build a good pump gas engine and then drive the wheels off it on the street.......So yes I am still fooling around w/ it be it bad or good......Littleman, Dave

Last edited: Aug 23, 2011
  8. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

I went to the Strip after work today...and finally felt good about hitting the nitrous fun button on my 2nd trip down the track today.....It was also the first time I had to get out of the gas during a pass.....It clicked off a 1.276 60' time but I had to get out of it or wreck...Littleman

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_f1RPT_V25o?hl=en&fs=1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

9. SchlottyD

SchlottyD

Man Dave, that little truck is MEAN off the line. Good to see you are still having fun with it.

10. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

This was my 3rd and last pass today.....9.74 1.30 60', still off on the nitrous side of the tune-up.....The car I raced ran a 9.19.....thats right were I would like to be.....Littleman

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/eu5i6-UIpc4?hl=en&fs=1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

11. Ha Ha, crazy mo-fo Dave !

12. Cool vid !!! >>>>.

13. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Awesome you can't get enough of that.

14. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Did I just see you get beat by a Cavalier. Damn he must of had NOS :D Just kidding man, that's an incredible feat of getting your truck to run that fast. I was just talking about this thing at the shop a few days ago in awe.

Awesome!

15. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Holy SHIT....... :) :) :)

16. modelacitizen

modelacitizen

coolest thing i seen a while

17. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

The HP has passed up the Model A chassis's ability to handle it predictably....But I'll take it out a few more times this year if the weather holds out....Should be an easy 9.50 + w/ more tuning. I just scratched the surface yesterday w/ the tuneup.......Littleman

18. this is just too f'n cool... i can't stand it! haha:D

you said you think the hp finally passed what the chassis can handle... any hp/tq estimates off the bottle?

19. fast30coupe

fast30coupe
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Illinois

20. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

Those videos are crazy!! That thing hooks hard!! Good luck on the new setup and I can't wait to see what the final numbers will be.

Hopefully I can get mine to hook like that someday!!

21. hog mtn dave

hog mtn dave

Hey Dave, are you using wheelie bars yet? When I was using nitrous the only way I could use it all coming off the line was to leave in 2nd gear. It would still ride the bars quite a way out, but softened the hit.

Nitrous seems like its right up your alley, as it's challenging to get the thing tuned just right and there are lots of variables to mess with. Plus you get some pretty impressive ET slips.

22. Dave... will you be attending the Jalopy Drags this weekend at BSD?

23. I never get tired of the in-truck videos Dave.

24. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

The engine made 575 hp on the dyno.....and it is setup for a 225 hp shot...too bad all that power is not bolted into a purpose built dragcar...This poor Truck has taken a beating over the last couple of years but has done rather well for a boxed Model A chassis and rear homemade traction bones..I am very happy with how it has performed.........Littleman

25. american opel

american opel
    from ohio

looks and sounds awsome dave!!!!i knew it wouldnt be long before you had to get it back to the track.

26. You really know how to work your majic with that little truck Dave! Love the videos.

Planning on making Thompson on the 15th. See you there?

Art

27. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

Had the Truck tune-up on kill today, but the potential fun and fast E.T. ended shortly after the bulbs dropped......Then the Truck hooked ...went up and dropped as well..faster than the bulbs.....he he he...........I left the track shortly after 1 pm today...enough time to run a grab a new axle...should be back together soon....as long as nothing else has been hurt....Someone snapped a great photo of it....waiting on them to send it too me..I did not build this Truck for JOY-RIDING, I was told the frontend came up real high....I need to make some bolt on wheeli bars too so I can maximize the launch and not waste all the motion. Hopfully some video will surface.I think the Truck really liked the taller new fresh slicks...Later, Littleman

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

28. modelacitizen

modelacitizen

29. WOW! What axle is that that bent?