Register now to get rid of these ads!

September banger meet

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BHT8BALL, Sep 3, 2011.

1. BHT8BALL

BHT8BALL

C.D. I guess I was too busy to connect you with the car, look at Max's video, that's as close as I got to you. I'm right behind you in the track roadster. And the day seemed to go by in an eye blink. Max said there is going to be a meeting in a few weeks at the Santa Margarita ranch to see if we can have more events there. Maybe you could come if we could get an event scheduled and we could meet & talk then. Cheers, Pat

2. Thanks for the pictures fellas, looks like a good time at the hill climb.-Weeks

3. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

4. RussTee

RussTee

Any other information about the blue four ever four streamliner in Pats photos of the hill climb?

5. This is a great thread.

6. Heo2

Heo2

I have a magazine from 1930-31with pics from the
    Swedish grandprix there is a 30-31 roadster with
    a Record head i think the owner was a Ford dealer
    and if i remember right he won the race
    i would trye to find the magazine

Sorry remembered wrong googled and found that he. Olle
    Benström won in 32. with a model A with a Italian head. Bosch magneto
    an dual carb ,He was not a ford dealer at the time but
    in 33 he drowe one of 5 32 Ford v8 sponsored by Ford

when he won in 32 the rumor goes that Henry ford
    Wrote him a cheque (sp)in x amount dollars

In the magazine i know the head is a Recordo
    (can be a missprint) and is described as an italian
    ohv

Last edited: Sep 22, 2011
  7. hot rod pro

hot rod pro
    from spring tx.

you got my vote for sexiest banger motor!

-danny

8. BHT8BALL

BHT8BALL

Thx for the vote, will have a complete engine running soon. Pat

9. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Jim Brierley has all of the info. He set a record with it at Bonneville this year.
    I think 162 mph. He told me, I don't remember the entire conversation.

10. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

my lil banger . notice pressure oiling & alum rods , etc

[​IMG]

more pix in my albums ........... very proud of this lil motor . stan vermile motor ! what else is there . my daily driver ....................... steve

11. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

Very nice Steve.... Some day I will get off my ass and put my B engine together. 24 hrs in a day is not cutting it.

12. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

not to many would see all the work , thank you . i know you do ! just gotta brag now & then .......... steve

13. RussTee

RussTee

Steve its good to see well built motors this is the best way to pass on knowledge thank you for posting could you list the full specs for us thanks Rusty

14. RussTee

RussTee

hot rod pro just looked at your album of your pickup great photography Danny great stuff Rusty

15. RussTee

RussTee

Thanks Crazy wondered if it was Jims car excellent finish as we would expect from him the only other photo I have is one with Derek Thomason of kiwi quickchange who I believe supplied the quickchange in this car. Rusty

16. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Rusty,
    It's not "Jim's Car" it is a club car built and run by the members of the 4 Ever 4 club. The engine that is in the car now (and in these photos) is Ron Mosiers. Dry sump, Cree 5 main crank and girdle, Dan Eubanks head, and Mechanical fuel injection.

Jim's engine has a Cook head and I'm pretty sure it has a Ford 3 main crank and babbit bearings.

17. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

LOL long list but here goes :
    ** .060 bore with ross pistons
    ** counter weight crank , full motor balance (flywheel to front pulley)
    ** aluminum rods
    ** pressurized oil with modified v8 oil pump (20# all the time)
    ** full insert brg .. rods/mains
    ** modern seals on both ends of crank
    ** aluminum timing gear
    ** s/s valves + hardened seats modern guides
    ** valve spings are shimmed . 55# seat / 100# open
    ** grade 8 head studs & main bolts
    ** decked block & milled head (5.5 now 6.0)
    ** full flow oil filter
    ** lightened / balancede flywheel
    ** cam .. 260/260 duration ... 320/320 lift

** motor built by stan vermile **

so this is my pride & joy . maybe 75hp , but with the 5 speed , it really gets it for 200 ci . ........................ hope this excites you ! LOL ............. steve

18. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

jim told me that the record motor has many yrs on the babbit brgs , but no problems on goin fast ........... steve

19. RussTee

RussTee

thanks guys apologies to the four ever four club must be great to be able to work on a club project at that standard shows the strength of the club and its members

20. RussTee

RussTee

Steve you have ever right to feel proud of that motor only to often we work on our motors only to have all our work hidden inside it is great to share knowledge though lately there have been some really good posts here on new products' motors' runs and competitions this shows the four cylinder movement is not only strong but is moving forward and growing in strength it is amazing the number of four cylinder cars appearing in magazines out here in New Zealand its making rodders sit up and take notice then find how fun and addictive they are when they build one. Thanks Rusty

21. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

"The 25-member 4Ever4 club, which formed in 1954 in the Los Angeles area as a response to the street rods and dry-lake racers."

Jim has been a member since 1959.

22. RussTee

RussTee

And is not only a dam nice guy but grinds a great cam I know I have one Rusty

23. If not mistaken, Jim's 3 journal motor was holding 6# boost on the record runs.

Not bad at all.

Is that a modified Flathead oilpump in Steve Norcal's motor? What is the application started with?

John

Last edited: Sep 23, 2011
  24. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

yes a modified v8 pump . started as a stock "A" motor ................ steve

25. Steve,

what did the pump come from? I have one of the later pumps but the relief porting doesn't make sense. For the reverse rotation it is no bueno.

John

26. There is/was a guy in Baldwin park that converts them. He uses the earlier long shaft. I have purchased them through Taylor Engine in Whittier. There was an DIY article in the S O S S mag showing how to modify the short pump a few years back.

27. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

im glad bill could help you on the pump . stan vermile built it for me , so i dont really know . i can find out if you need to know ................ steve

28. easyrider47

easyrider47

Hi guys, I haven't posted for quite awhile buy I have made some progress. Still need bumpers chromed and seat recovered, as well as the hood painted and my 35 wires powdercoated. Oh.. and glass in the windhield frame...cleanest windshield in the neighborhood. It has a 5.5 head and a "B" cam, counterbalanced crank and lightened flywheel. Not exactly HAMB friendly but it has a Volvo overdrive too.

Attached Files:

29. RoddyB34

RoddyB34

we have put a single barrel stromberg downdraft on our A coupe ,finding its starving at about 40 MPH ,if i slow down it picks up again ,looks like it may need a small pump to keep the bowl full ,we checked the flow at the tap seems good ,there is about 3 inches difference between carb inlet and glass bowl outlet ,what experience has anyone had?,,

30. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

With a carb that high you will need a pump
    The intake I made for my single 94 sits real low and I still run out on long wide open runs or up hills at full speed.
    With the tank under 1/2 full on a long fast right hand turn it will give me a little sign of no fuel is getting to the carb

I had 2 12 volt pumps just stop working on me last year but it's real nice to just take the gas line out of the tool box and drive it home.
    All summer I have not been running a pump I just keep the tank full