Register now to get rid of these ads!

TEch week - Building a custom grill

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dabirdguy, Sep 12, 2011.

1. dabirdguy

dabirdguy
    Member Emeritus

I wanted a custom grill for my '50 PU.
    This is what I made:

[​IMG]

First I bent some Stainless 1" weave to match the shape of the upper grill bar. The stainless weave will end up up inside the bar.
    [​IMG]

Then I cut some pieces of 22 guage stainless flatstock for the mounts. I bent the 4" x4" pieces in half to start.
    [​IMG]

To get the tabs in the right place first I positioned the piece on the grill to determine where the vertical rods crossed the piece and marked them with a magic marker.

[​IMG]

I used the portion where the vertical bars cross the support piece to set the height by bending them forward before I cut them off. Then I bent and fed the other tabs thru the bars, cut them to length, and bent them up around the horizontal rods.

2. dabirdguy

dabirdguy
    Member Emeritus

3. dabirdguy

dabirdguy
    Member Emeritus

Then the pieces were firmly crimped around the bars and welded using my mig and stainless steel wire to avoid rusting. I won't show you my bugger welds here...LOL.
    [​IMG]

4. dabirdguy

dabirdguy
    Member Emeritus

For the pieces that went on the curved sections of the grill I used a stretcher to mimic the curve of the weave.
    [​IMG]
    I made tabs for all the mounting points the grill bar uses to attach to the other sheetmetal. I did this for both top and bottom.
    [​IMG]

5. Racewriter

Racewriter

Perfectly timed, Glenn - I have been thinking about something similar myself. Thanks!

Oh, and where did you get the stainless weave - is this a Home Depot type item, or a metal supply item?

6. dabirdguy

dabirdguy
    Member Emeritus

Then I built the side pieces. They were rolled on an English wheel to match the bend of the edge of the bar and I used a break to make the bends. These pieces are 1.25" longer than the stainless weave was high. The edge that will be exposed was folded back over itself to make a clean smooth edge.
    [​IMG]

7. dabirdguy

dabirdguy
    Member Emeritus

I cut the underside edge of the top bar to allow the end pieces to slide up and into the bar using a Dremel tool and a fine cutting disk. Here you can clearly see the shape the uprights need to have.
    [​IMG]
    This is how they fit together:
    [​IMG]

I put a bar on both top and bottom, thus totally retaining the side pieces.
    For decoration I added a cast flying eyball.

[​IMG]

Not a bad result, eh?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

My apologies for the brevity and the crummy pictures, but I was in a hurry to get this posted before the deadline!

8. dabirdguy

dabirdguy
    Member Emeritus

The weave came from a metal yard here in St. Louis. It is DEFINATELY not Home depot stuff.

9. stevechaos13

stevechaos13

Clean work man.

10. Danimal

Danimal
    1. A-D Truckers

Nice work.

I always knew you wanted a cyclops!

(Inside joke)

11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Last edited: Sep 12, 2011
  12. metlmunchr

metlmunchr

McNichols Company has a bigger variety of metals like this than anyone else in the country, and they do sell small quantities. In addition to the woven wire mesh, they also have lots of different patterns in perforated metals. Most stuff is available in copper, stainless, mild steel, and aluminum.

http://www.mcnichols.com Pricing is on their site once you specify a material and quantity.

Materials like these are NOT CHEAP, but you generally don't need big quantities for the typical car project, so they're a way to add some unique features without spending a ton of money overall.

13. VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

VOODOO likes. Nice work. I like different.

VR&C.

14. dabirdguy

dabirdguy
    Member Emeritus

15. godspeedbear

godspeedbear
    from golden

Looks REEEAALLLL good Glenn :)

16. Silverado85

Silverado85

Man, Your truck won't look like every other 50 pickup driving down the road. Very nice Grill. Great look and unique!

17. toolman1967

toolman1967

Nice job. I like the idea of doing something different.