Register now to get rid of these ads!

You've got too much junk, don't you?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Sep 6, 2011.

1. I just about fell out of my chair! This is too close to home. :p

2. knotheads

knotheads

when i left california for nevada, i cleaned and chucked everything in the shop and junk pile i thought i could live without. spent about a month on that project. at moving time the first 3 trips were cars on a car trailer. next was a rent-a truck loaded with the house stuff. the next 5 rent-a truck loads was tools and car parts for all the projects. all tucked into about 1700 sq feet of wanna be shop .at this point i know i have stuff but dang if i can tell for sure where its at.

3. mastergun1980

mastergun1980
    from Alva OK

Ha ha ha I am always buying and selling stuff - I try real hard to buy less than I sell but that just doesnt seem to work out because I always have more stuff, but it sure is fun to crooked horse trade ..... I traded the same 48 f-6 back and forth with the same guy 3 times in as many years!

4. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

If you need a son you can adopt me. I love 32 fords.:D

Last edited: Sep 7, 2011
  5. Outlaw Bender

Outlaw Bender

The squirrel syndrom is a bad habit.

6. Jarred Hodges

Jarred Hodges

I am bad about keeping stuff of cars that i think I may use. I will usually keep it for a year or 2 and when it gets to the point I can't move or I am broke I will haul the complete crap to the junkyard

7. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Every space in shed is full as well as under stairs and cupboards inside the house. :)

Attached Files:

8. Preach on brother!

I just decided to have a clearance sale of one metric ton of crap from my garage. When my 59 Plymouth sold, a bunch of other stuff went right along with it.

Tools, obviously, stay, but old car parts that I know I'll never use? Gone!

9. Deuces

Deuces

Exactly!! I get sore from sorting everything out that I have... :rolleyes:

10. chopper cliff

chopper cliff
    from lodi ca

I thought I was the only 1, I may be forced to move due to an unforeseen problem,(major surgery on me 1 1/2 yrs ago) the wife can move the house in 2 days, I can move the shop and yard in 60. My solution, a Sea- Land container! I can just barely fit all of my treasures inside, now where do I move it to??????? I'm getting to old for this Shit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cliff.

11. squirrel

squirrel

Tell me about it....

12. boutlaw

boutlaw

I give stuff away all the time, and the pile still grows, got a deal on a 4 speed just this past weekend at the Y block shootout in Columbus, Oh. I dang sure didn't need it but for $40., you just can't walk away. When I check out, my wife won't have a clue what it is or what its worth, so therefore I'm back to my first sentence...I give stuff away all the time.

13. A buddy of mine always tells me , Any body can have money , but only the lucky people have stuff. I am so Lucky....

14. Hyde_Auto_Body

Hyde_Auto_Body

Well, I told my wife there's worse things I could be into such as gambling or chasing woman! At least if us guys get tired of the junk we can turn it into cash!!

15. i could use 12 steps to pile stuff up higher ...
    hmmmm
    1 in 10 HAMBers collects tooo much "stuff'
    1 in 10 needs the the " stuff "that the first guy has stashed
    1 in 10 really works on cars to a expert level with mediocre "stuff"
    1 in 10 should not work on his own " stuff "ever
    1 in 10 will get to use all the "stuff" one day
    1 in 10 will get divorced over all his " stuff"

don't know the other 4 guys ... yet
    maybe you do?
    but i wonder what stuff they have

Last edited: Sep 7, 2011
  16. burnout2614

burnout2614

I have parts and cars scattered across 4 counties. A disease? Nope. It relaxes me! peace

17. You could leave one of those Deuces to a nice fellow that would let it live in a real nice garage!

He would keep it real clean. :D

18. flamingokid

flamingokid

I had a dream about this recently,and it wasn't a good one.....

19. flathead fred

flathead fred

Yup, I just moved too! Way too much stuff, I am liquidating, save for what is actually being used and some old family stuff. Now.. What to do about those 41 milk crates full of records....

20. chop32

chop32

Its only too much when you are in the process of moving, once you settle in and the muscles stop aching, you get over it.
    Ive moved and thinned out my stash of stuff "Ill never need" only to need it later and have to pay good money for it.

21. hemi

hemi

My grandfather was a bit of an old school pack rat and when he passed we were left with a house and barn full of stuff. I realized that you can hold stuff for as long as you want, and it just goes away after you do. I had a shop and a ton of parts and cars before I moved west when I was younger, and chucked every bit of it t omove. I've since moved a bunch and have my stuff whittled down to some family keep-stuff and two project cars and their related parts. I keep nothing and buy nothing I do not have a use for.

If you own a lot of stuff, your stuff will own you.... there is a fine line of the madness.

22. Stuff!! Stuff!! Stuff!! Did you ever notice how how your " shit " is " stuff " and everyone elses " stuff " is shit. For whatever reason, I have more than my share of...... well you know.

23. Riva B.

Riva B.

I don't have half as much junk as I want. I love it like a fat kid loves cake!

24. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

My problem is I cannot GET to my stuff. Stuff piled on stuff. I'm going thin out the stuff. Do I really need two 327 blocks and a late-model 350? I'm dumping them. When I need a small block, I'll just go buy one.
    The problem with "collectibles" is they don't appreicate very much. We stopped buy
    "collectibles" years ago. I only keep stuff that truly means something to me.
    Organization is the key, even if it is in those plastic bins. Access is to the stuff is also important. I want to be able to actually WORK on a project rather than wading through stuff.
    Magazines --> I finally threw my 20 year collection of car magazines into recycle bin. Liberating!! They are worth nothing and nobody wants them.
    I bought a '63 Covair Spyder turbo air cleaner for 5 bucks. A good deal, but I don't even own a Covair!!
    My rule of thumb has because "if it going to end up in the yard pile in 6 months, don't buy it".

Last edited: Sep 8, 2011
  25. canerat

canerat

I have seen the light! I'm going to start "thinning out my junk" .... soon.

26. michael037

michael037
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A hoarder cannot afford to be a gypsy, and a gysy cannot afford to be a hoarder.
    I agree with Old&Low's first comment, but I don't know about his second.
    Michael

27. I sold three yesterday a dodge ommni , horizon and a K car. Now I got $300 to buy something else! OldWolf

28. You never know how much you have til you start rooting through it. I just drug the K car around. In the trunk I found a lot of Y block ford parts. Included where a set of Mercury valve covers , Water punp with the power steering bracket. Two 57 up single advance distrubuters. 3 valley covers, crossover exhaust car oil pan & pump,ect.:cool: OldWolf

29. Deuces

Deuces

....... And they're all front wheel drive cars. :eek:
    You did the right thing to get rid of those.. ;)

30. Deuces

Deuces

You'll be seeing stars soon if you don't go do an intro!!... ;)