Register now to get rid of these ads!

62 Merc Monterey

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Encinitas4, Aug 28, 2011.

1. Encinitas4

Encinitas4
    from California

I just picked up a Merc Monterey two months ago. Ive done simple tuning up myself just getting her running smooth. Now I got issue, my right leaf collapsed and now the rear dif. is tweak and looks like im fish tailing when I drive straight. I planned on doing the suspension so I guess now is the time. She is completely stock and I wanted to take her down 1-2 inches. My buddy suggest lowering springs in the front and bags in the back? Good idea? I know you pay for what you get, would this fly or should I bag the whole thing?

2. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

How far to you want to dig into that car? I am doing a complete frame off build on my '62 Monterey Wagon. I replaced the rear springs with a triangulated 4 bar and added air bags. The Firestone bags in the pic have been replaced with Slam Specialties, but you get the idea. Also, the stock shock location was maintained, even though they aren't installed in the pic.

If you have deep pockets, the Monterey's share the same chassis as '61-'64 Galaxies, and Air Ride Tech and a few other companies produce bolt in air ride suspensions for these cars.

[​IMG]

This set up allows it to sit right down on the ground, but you will have to make a few "adjustments" to the floor. Not a big deal on a frame off, but a bit harder to do if you don't want to completely dig into the car.

[​IMG]

Good Luck

3. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Have a local spring shop rebuild your rear spring packs and go with a lowering block.
    Use the lowering springs you mentioned in the front.

I'm thinking that bags etc are too fabrication intensive for a subtle drop...not to mention too expensive!

4. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

If you are looking for the quick fix to get it back on the road, Hackerbilt is right on. I am building a full custom, so it is on the other end of the work/time scale.

5. Encinitas4

Encinitas4
    from California

Thanks, thinking of just of going for lowering blocks and bags when i become a millionaire

6. Hoptup Jalop

Hoptup Jalop

could be a cracked spring...i has one which looks just like yours in the 70's and that was the problem....id do blocks too on that 4 door..and some chrome reverse/spiders or bullet lugs and medium ww's.
    [​IMG]
    car above was lowered by cutting just over 2 coils and 4.25" blocks.
    [​IMG]

7. Encinitas4

Encinitas4
    from California

Im digging that man thanks for the heads up. Can any of you help me out, im new to HAMB, is there a way i can get notified when someone writes on my threads so i dont have to search for it everytime. Thanks for all the help homies I will post some picks at the end of the week when she is done

8. Hoptup Jalop

Hoptup Jalop

just go to the quick links tab...(black) and click on the drop down arrow to subscribed threads...when you write or participate in a thread it subscribes you to it.

9. 390Merc

390Merc
    from Indiana

I lowered my Merc by cutting just a hair over 2 coils up front, and 4.25" blocks in the rear. That just happened to be the size of stock available so I figured if it was too low I could always cut the blocks down. Got bigger u-bolts at a truck accessory store and had to enlarge the bolt holes in the shock mount/u-bolt mounting plate just a tad bit. 14" wheels too.
    It still rides pretty good too. Just barely touching the front snubbers and plenty of travel left in the back. I think the pinion snubber is the only thing that bottoms out back there.

Attached Files:

10. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

390Merc, That is a great looking car.

11. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

Encinitas4,go with the spring shop and the lowering blocks,air bag set up is way intensive,for what your looking for.Trust me i have been there!....but when the time comes i have teo firestone bags if you want them to get started...

12. Encinitas4

Encinitas4
    from California

390 merc- Are you loudpipes? Ive seen that car before, inspired me to buy mine. Is it your daily? Ive got a ways to go to be in the same class but soon I hope. Im torn on paint, been talking about maybe blue w/ a white top? any thoughts?

13. Hoptup Jalop

Hoptup Jalop

Agreed 390 bad ass!

14. SWANKEY1

SWANKEY1
    from Venice ca

15. Encinitas4

Encinitas4
    from California

shes coming along

Attached Files:

16. she is gone now, but still have the memories ! now in Europe...

Attached Files:

17. snowman

snowman

Hey that car looks familiar! I'm glad it was taken care of, it was sure fun to drive.

18. Encinitas4

Encinitas4
    from California

Snow man, you used to own it?

19. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

390 man, that car is bitchin. respect for drivin this low on a static drop.

20. snowman

snowman

Yep, I bought it from the 2nd owner. Rebuilt the engine, got it road worthy, cleaned it up and drove it. I worked with Rob-Redm and sold it to help fund an ex's business venture...bad move.

21. 62Mercury

62Mercury
    from USA

I just joined this board. I saw 390Merc's photos and thought wow that's a nice looking car. (haha, I have one like it.)

I really like the FrozenMerc's a wagon with bags and frame mods, awesome. And Encinitas4's enthusiasm! Keep it up man, you'll get it going. I'm in the same boat, slowly but surely. I'm finally getting the engine done now.

Can't wait to cruise it through the neighborhood:cool

22. HotRodHooligan13

HotRodHooligan13

hahahaha I have the same exact vehicle im tearing her down as we speak but it was in good shape with all the chrome included so im off to a good start ill be posting pics soon

23. HotRodHooligan13

HotRodHooligan13

here is a few pics as promised so i guess the previous owner stripped all the chrome and had it all re done then had it painted and added the white walls but only had a chance to re attach the mouldings to one side before he past away i biught it off his son with all the fresh chrome inside..they must have used really cheap single stage because alot of it burned up and cracked anyhow ill be posting up pics of my progress![​IMG] http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/album.php?albumid=33871&pictureid=387804 http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/album.php?albumid=33871&pictureid=387805

24. HotRodHooligan13

HotRodHooligan13

whoops sorry

Attached Files:

• 2 (2).jpg
      2 (2).jpg
      File size:
      74.4 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      76.4 KB
      Views:
    • 2 (1).jpg
      2 (1).jpg
      File size:
      73.1 KB
      Views:
  25. SJ13

SJ13
    from PNW

I recently purchased a 60 Merc Monterey 2dr hrdtp from Ramblux in Hollister Ca. I have to say he did a great job bagging this car he used the Galaxie set up from Air Ride Technologies he kept the original A-Arms on front and used de-arched leafs in the back

Attached Files: