Register now to get rid of these ads!

Imron wont lay flat!?!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gearhead695456, Aug 2, 2011.

1. gearhead695456

gearhead695456

Any ideas why a Imron flat black ended with a texture like a golf ball? Its orange peeled all over. The color and shine are good but the texture is terrible. The shop that did it says that's just the way it goes on, that it wont lay flat. Thanks for the input.

2. Lild

Lild

Not reduced properly I would say. Didnt think you could even get that paint anymore

3. dirtcop

dirtcop

I like to use the Imron satin black on my frames and suspension parts. It normally lays on flat, but takes forever to get hard. I don't know about the texture you are getting.

4. henry29

henry29

I believe you're supposed to heat imron before spraying.

5. Roger Walling

Roger Walling

There are at least three different kinds of Imron that I use..
    Industrial Imron goes on just like you described.
    It can be thinned up to 10% to lay down a little smoother.

6. 400 4spd.

400 4spd.

He lives in Florida. I've seen it warmed in cold shop conditions.
    Could be too thick, air pressure too low (didn't atomize), gun tip size too large, surface too warm, first coat too dry, etc.

7. ABBoston

ABBoston
    from Boston

8. i've had problems with urethane paints doing that in humid conditions.

9. I am willing to bet they added some fish-eye eliminator to it, that is exactly what happens to it if its added.

10. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

Had an O/T CJ5 that had been painted black Imron....smooth as glass and shiny forever

11. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

People are still using Imron? And why?

12. special-k

special-k

I can't answer for others but on my OT Peterbilt I had a fender painted with baseclear and got around 20 stone chips in 2 years. The other fender has 5 year old imron and has maybe 5. Back to Imron for me. I found the same thing with orange peel. The painters I talk to say it's hard to be consistent. That and cost/availability seem to be the biggest problems. For a commercial truck I can live with the finish. For a hot rod probably not.

13. ottos

ottos

make sure u wear a mask or u will lay flat...very sticky stuff for ur lungs....

14. "Back in the day" the cool cars were shiny.

15. hoof22

hoof22
    Member Emeritus

"make sure u wear a mask or u will lay flat...very sticky stuff for ur lungs...."

x10!! nasty stuff!

Imron-I used once on a customers car because he insisted on it-got sold on how tough it was, but we never could get it to look good...it was way to hard to cut & polish and it wouldn't flow.. After talking to the paint rep, this is what he told me - "IMRON is great for roll bars, suspension parts & scuba tanks, not so good for cars, that's not what it's designed for..." I think it's intended to be more of an industrial coating than an auto paint...just my experience.

Eric

16. I've seem Imron go on 2 ways, 1st is how his is, 2nd is smooth and laying all over the floor!

17. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

Special K is right---Imron is supertough. Very chip resistant. I always specced Imron on our OTR units with good success---hard as nails.

18. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

Imron is polyurethane. A good polyurethane9Imron or others) does more things better than other types of paints.

The only thing I can add to what's already been posted is that to be smooth Imron needs to go on relatively heavy. It takes some adjusting, even for experienced painters. If you don't get an occasional run you are very, very, good, or, you aren't laying it on heavy enough. Start with a normal first coat, let that cure till it's gelled up well, then one or two(usually two) heavier coats.

19. RR

RR

The thing I didn't like about Imron was that when it did chip, it took off all paint down to the metal. As for laying down nice- check with the paint supplier. Sounds like poor atomization- possibly due to low air pressure at the gun. When we used to spray it (25 years ago), it always laid down nice and smooth.