Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Blown Budget - 32 Roadster Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Berky, Aug 1, 2011.

1. Berky

Berky

Do you ever start a simple project and then things take a complete 180°? I decided that I didn’t need two closed cars so my plan was to just swap the body on my Tudor with a roadster body. This would let me keep the running gear, frame, fenders... the cost was supposed to be low.:rolleyes:

While I was searching through the HAMB classifieds I found a 32 with the most of the big pieces needed to complete the car. It had a title and the price was fair. So a week later I owned another major project and I couldn’t be happier.

This is what it looked like when I picked it up. The plan is a 50s style build with a flathead, T5 and banjo rear. I’m not going for a show car, but something that will be fun to drive and now worry about a paint chip.

[​IMG]
    <O:p</O:p
    [​IMG]
    <O:p
    [​IMG]<O:p

Last edited: Aug 2, 2011
    oliver westlund likes this.
  2. Berky

Berky

The frame is an original 1932, but it has been through a few changes in its life span and it really needed some help. I could have just gone with new rails, but I already had this so I will get it road worthy. Someone boxed the front and rear, added an X member and a Model A front crossmember. This work was done well and at one point had a nice paint job. Then someone “tried” to add mounts for a 350/350 and early steering. They added boxing plates to the middle of the frame which didn’t line up and were poorly welded in. Hopefully this person isn’t building cars anymore.:eek:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Berky

Berky

The first thing was to remove the suspension and get the front axle off to Bear Metal Kustoms to get it drilled and dropped. While I had it apart I decided to clean up the 36 bones. Since I am using spring over axle I needed to cut the spring perches off. I also added split wishbone kit while I had the grinder out.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. brady1929

brady1929

nice work, good luck

5. Berky

Berky

The boxing plates on the front were pretty cut up from the previous owner and had mounts for a Vega cross steer that I want going to use, so I decided to cut them out. Since I’m running a flathead I don’t think I will need the extra reinforcement. I also took out that sweet transmission corssmember that was held in with four tack welds.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Hot Rod Bob

Hot Rod Bob
    from T-ville Ky

Cool.....Why build it if ya can't drive it? Run the wheels off of it!

7. Pat Pryor

Pat Pryor

8. Berky

Berky

I picked up a 40 rear crossmember at the LB swap meet to replace the square tube crossmember that was temporarily installed. The plan was to flatten it so the car wouldn’t sit like a 4X4. I followed the article from Rod n Custom which worked out pretty well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Berky

Berky

10. el Roach

el Roach
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

SWEET! I'm building a deuce roadster myself, so I'll be watching this!!!

11. Berky

Berky

Next I decided to drill my backing plates to go with my drilled axle. I pulled some templates from the HAMB and fired up the drill press.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Berky

Berky

I then moved on to the clutch an brake pedal assembly. I had a 40 pedal assembly that kind of fit in the X member so I decided to make it work. I mocked up the firewall to check my clearances and the height was good, but the clutch arm hit the X member.

[​IMG]

I made a bracket to mount my brake and clutch master cylinder so I could check the travel on the pedals and see how much of a pocket would be needed for the clutch arm.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Berky

Berky

I used BASS’s idea and made a pocket in the frame so the clutch arm wouldn’t hit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Berky

Berky

I received my radiator back from Custom Auto Radiator. It was originally designed for a SBC, but they were able to add the inlet/outlets for a flathead. It was cheaper than a new Walker and the radiator only had a few thousand miles on it. I had to get it on the frame and get the support rods installed.

[​IMG]

While I was at it I mounted the gas pedal and fuel block and ran the fuel line back to the tank.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. McFly

McFly

Nice work...keep it coming.

16. Berky

Berky

My father in law gave me one of his 37 Hudson steering boxes, which was awesome, but when I opened it up I found that it was not ready to run. The bearings were shot and the worm and roller were pitted.

[​IMG]

I sent the box off to NealinCA and he worked his magic.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 2, 2011
  17. Berky

Berky

I received the axle and decided to put the front suspension back together and get the body on for an idea of how it is going to look. I had extra wheels from the 36 and I think they look at home on the roadster. I’m not sure about the white walls, but I’m going to wait until the paint is on before I make my final decision.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. flatoz

flatoz

HA.

I thought you meant.

blown, budget 32 roadster build...

owning a blown flathead powered 32 roadster I thought ' got to see this!"

but anything 32 means a blown budget, but you can't budget for smiles!

19. Berky

Berky

I wish the engine was supercharged. If I can find a good McCulloch that doesn't empty the bank I might have to jump on it.

20. I like the build I will keep my eyes on this one.

Frenchy

21. Berky

Berky

Since I had the body was already on I decided to add the lights. During this time I was looking for a manual T5 to continue my mockup. I thought these transmissions were a dime a dozen, but I had a hard time locating one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. Berky

Berky

I also decided to mount the gauge panel that I got from Alchemy. It still needs to get polished but I think it looks great the way it is. I am torn between painting the insert or getting a turned panel to fit inside.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

bct and Tjompen like this.
  23. Chuckhole

Chuckhole
    BANNED
    from Montana

24. NealinCA

NealinCA

Neat project! Keep the progress pics coming...as I'm looking forward to seeing the steering gear mounted in place.

Neal

25. I remeber seeing that in the ads for sale. Nice save and keep the updates coming really like the details that you are giving.

26. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Hey now this is a cool thread!!! Nice work so far and I love threads that progress fast like this one is doing!! keep it up!

27. Berky

Berky

After many trips to the local junk yards I found a T5. The shop doing the engine gave me a junk block for my mock up so I could continue the progress. I needed to place the motor mounts so I could clear the steering so I ended up offsetting the motor about an inch.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I figured out the placement of the mounts and yanked the engine back out to get them welded into the frame. Since the frame is not boxed I had to extend the edge of the mounts about an inch and a half to meet the outside of the frame rail.
    [​IMG]<O:p</O:p

28. Berky

Berky

I stuck the engine back in and checked the clearance of the lower water outlets. I may have a problem here; the inlet/outlets at the bottom are about 1 ½” offset and there is a small gap between the connections. I also had to stick the speed equipment on there to see what it’s going to look like. I have early Sharp heads and a 2X2 Sharp intake. I can tell if the intake is old or new. It looks really good, has a script logo instead of the block like the heads. It has one thread insert for one of the carb studs which makes me wonder if it is old and just cleaned up. I can’t find another one like it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

29. grapp

grapp

Can you have the rad shop move the lower necks over?

30. George G

George G

What article was that?? Looks great