Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 64/65 Comets old drag cars lets see pictures

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by apound, Feb 17, 2009.

1. gassercrazy41

gassercrazy41

thats the one.

2. shomanwi

shomanwi

Here is some more pictures of my buddy and I at the Meltdown Drags (im in the 65).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. dragway classic

dragway classic
    from U.P.

Amazing how we can take the time to scan and copy the photos,but not take the time to list the name of photographer.Taken from 'Fan of the old Detroit Dragway'/site.Doug Carnahan's PHOTOS,the family were kind enough to pass photos on,we can't take time to acknowledge him.PRETTY SAD!!!!

4. Falfasnightmare

Falfasnightmare

Shomanwi,

Glad you all made the trip....seriously your cars helped make the show....loved the red vs red match race!!! Picture perfect...and your Dad's 61' Ford perfect with steel's on the back...Thank you guys for coming...hope to see you in 2012.....
    E

5. Christian Bros Racing

Christian Bros Racing

Heck yeah!

6. Mr. Squirrel

Mr. Squirrel
    from Texas

Ken, now that is one sweet mag. I need to grab it while its hot. I have been a subscriber since there days of fox stangs and then still till this day. I have the very first mag and still loving every issue. hope they start featuring more of Mercurys racing history.

7. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

Those are Awesome Comets. What a great shot. Still cant decide if I'm a 64 guy or a 65 Guy. Its best just to own one of each.

8. Analog Dog

Analog Dog
    from Utah

I think it all depends on the hood...:D

9. 65COMET

65COMET

The 64s still have the fins and look of the late 50s/early 60s cars,the 65s have the newer,cleaner look.I have to agree with Ken though,one of each would work!!! ROY.

10. I hope this is not a re post of Ronnie runnin' over in England? Either way enjoy the pics! :)

11. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

Looks like I'm going to have to get a new license plate for the back.

[​IMG]

12. I'm diggin' this nice '65! Scat Cat! :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. 65COMET

65COMET

WICKEDJOHN;nice looking survivor Caliente,it has the same interior mine came with.Most cars with the "Scat Cat"name seem to be Cougars! ROY.

14. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

Yeehaw!

I just received a confirmation that I'll be allowed to run in the exibition class at this years California Hot Rod Reunion!! This year, they really scaled back on the classes, in order for the big draw cars to have a bit longer time to run. I'm all for that! But, they eliminated alot, and the only class I"d be eligible to run was exibition, and that was only if the NHRA Reunion Committee selected your car. They did , and now at least one Comet will make the show!!
    [​IMG]

15. Mr. Squirrel

Mr. Squirrel
    from Texas

Let them have it with your comet. Good luck:)

16. Analog Dog

Analog Dog
    from Utah

Whats up with the Cyclone trim by the rear tail lights?I also noticed the Caliente script on the rear fenders.

17. 65COMET

65COMET

Analog Dog;the 65 Comet is a Caliente,the side trim,bench seat,woodgrain dash,grill,and quarter emblems all are Caliente items,who knows why it has a Cyclone rear emblem. ROY.

18. 65COMET

65COMET

Dale;I got a pre-confirmation from NHRA to run CHRR,it did not show Exhibition class! I may have to send my entry in and we can match race again,I'll give you to the 60' clocks!!!!!! Are you staying at the track? ROY.

19. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

Thats odd? Someone even wrote exibition on my postcard.

I'll be camping as well. Gotta save where you can. Plus- I always have a good time dusting off the camping gear and using it!

Also received word today, the Comet story is on cover, and in the Oct. issue of Car Craft! Hey Roy! Does that mean thay may park us on the asphalt instead of the dirt field now!!!!!!

Last edited: Jul 29, 2011
  20. 65COMET

65COMET

Dale;they will probably park us in the old Motocross arena out beyond the time slip shack!!!! Good to hear about CC,did you get a preview? ROY.

21. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

Yup. The photos are quite impressive, especially the sunset shot.....

22. Analog Dog

Analog Dog
    from Utah

Awhile back someone posted a picture of the original Dyno Don rear fenders sitting against a building.Does anybody remember the post number?I did a search and can't find the post.Thanks.

23. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

24. SLCK64

SLCK64

Hey guys, what an acceptable straight axle width for the Comets? Backing plate to backing plate.

Got a line on a '64 ford pickup 2wd axle.

25. 65COMET

65COMET

Measure between your front wheels now,that will tell you what will work.Look at teddisnoke's avatar,64 Comet,straight axle. ROY.

26. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

Mine measure's out at about 56" mounting face to mounting face(rimto rotor), but you can fudge a bit inboard and use a rim with a deeper offset. I would try to not go any wider. It starts to look a bit funky when the front track width is wider than the rear. It looks bitchin on old dragsters, but not on doorslammers!:)

[​IMG]

27. umassjj

umassjj
    from MA

It only took half a year, but I talked to Randy DeLisio on the phone today and asked him specifically about the hood on the red comet above. He confirmed two things: he doesn't do any fiberglass work anymore, and on that build, he simply grafted a bubble onto a ram air hood.

I was hoping he'd say that he had one of those hoods laying around in the shop that he felt compelled to sell ;)

Pretty cool talking to the guy.

Jay

28. MaggieDad

MaggieDad

Greetings..first time poster here. Does anyone have any pictures / info / history on the Bessey Brothers '64 B/FX Comet? I think it ran under the name "Scarlet Fever" back in the day. Any help would be appreciated!

29. Analog Dog

Analog Dog
    from Utah

This is the only "Scarlet Fever" I can remember seeing.

Attached Files: