Register now to get rid of these ads!

Sweet Nadine for sale for $390,000?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 56KUSTOM, Jul 22, 2011.

1. moter

moter

Wow...never thought i would hear of Charlie selling Nadine. Hope he gets the money he wants! Awesome car..fantastic build....and he drives it..thats the best part!

Good luck to ya Charlie!

2. Now, that's what i call a quality Merc. I wanna shake the hand of whoever buys it.............. if anyone.

3. MR. FORD

MR. FORD
    from Austin, TX

Double ditto...

4. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

For sale in my area...

$18,000 for the original. $28,000 for the custom.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Rickybop, you're better than that. It's not even in context with the convo goin on here. If I owned the 2 cars you posted I'd pull em off the market right now and wait to see what happens or start another P E R F E C T L Y executed Merc custom. That car's so high-end it's almost wrong, and I'm going by pictures with that comment! No offense bro but...

6. What are kidneys going for these days?

7. PUMPKINHEAD

PUMPKINHEAD

You're comparing apples to oranges.

Nadine is one fine car.

Wish I had the $$$$$

Good luck Charlie!

8. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I gotta go with Rick Finch here...I'm surprised to read the "Worth It!" posts.
    Gary Meaders needs you guys.

Wow! Wood for birdhouses has gone up! Oh well, I build & fly control line, too...

9. seventhirteen

seventhirteen
    from dago, ca

it really is in context, it's been said you couldn't build a merc as nice as Charlies for the asking price of $390,000. If you can start with a pretty nice car for 30k do you really think for $330,000 more you couldn't have a similar car?

It's an amazing car, noone will dispute that, if the price tag is based on the history of the car that's fine. To say you couldn't build a merc that nice for under $390,000 is silly.

10. Asking price aside, the car is being looked at by half the posters as the sum of it's parts.

The other half are looking at this car more like the owner is...as art.

A one of a kind original masterpiece that may be copied and cloned, but no other car will ever be THIS one.

I think that at this level of build, you are looking at an original piece of art that could not be duplicated without being a copy.

While the Mona Lisa is not the best painting ever done, the original is worth some serious loot.

That being said, I have yet to witness a better Merc.

The longer this car is around and public, the more it will be copied, and the more the value of the original will go up.

If the Hirohata merc were a fresh build, it would not hold the value it does.

History takes time, and it will happen for this car.

11. swissmike

swissmike

I respectfully disagree in several aspects:
    While this car may have better workmanship and attention to detail than the Hirohata Merc , the early Barris cars was a revolutionary new concept at the time whereas this car is a fairly tame re-interpretation of the same theme. To me it is the same as a Foose car, I can appreciate the first rate workmanship but it does not excite me or hold my interest and I am certain many people on here whose interest is traditional customs feel the same way.

12. PhatCaddy

PhatCaddy

I would buy Charlies Merc and park it in my living room. One of my favorite Mercs ever.

Brian

13. Special Ed

Special Ed

Very valid points. From a historical viewpoint, innovation trumps everything else.

14. gassercrazy41

gassercrazy41

15. chopt49

chopt49

sorry, but $390k... buy a house or buy a car? Guess the rich get to keep getting richer...

Nice car, but NOWAY damn near $400k ... come on people.

16. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No offense taken, old friend...none at all. I just posted the pics for some contrast. It's not a commentary on Nadine in particular, 'cause I know nothing about her other than what I've seen/read here. According to some of you, she's an extremely detailed custom, and I absolutely respect all it took to get 'er there. Of course, posting the pics does make a statement, but I figured I'd let everyone draw their own conclusions. What I wasn't saying, is that these cars are anywhere near the same "level" as Nadine. They're not...and that was my point...if any.
    Is Nadine worth that much $? Jeez, I don't know...that's up to a prospective buyer.

Exactly. You want apples, oranges, or maybe mangosteen?

17. I dont agree with all this bull about it being not worth it.
    Only the seller and the final buyer can say for sure.
    Seems that people with low incomes think it's dear just
    as people on higher incomes think the price is fair.
    Too much judging the cars value by personal income status.
    I'll just sit back and see what the market finally says ... :D

18. Kustom Komet

Kustom Komet

Nice car, but the price is pure cocaine.

-KK

19. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

if i was a collector, or hell just a car guy with a lot of money, i would buy the Rudy built merc and Nadine.. both cars are exceptional, current customs that will honor the customs of the past, and set the bars high for the future. i can customize a merc all i want, and think up some custom touches , but at some point im still taking ideas and styling points that were done 50 yrs ago in my pops era.. to be original i guess i could go buy a new camaro or charger or something and customize it...:rolleyes: Is it a high price tag, of course, but the days of finding a showing winning chopped merc on a used car lot for a few hundred bucks are long gone....

20. VERY nice car but way too much

21. U-235

U-235

While this car may have better workmanship and attention to detail than the Hirohata Merc , the early Barris cars was a revolutionary new concept at the time whereas this car is a fairly tame re-interpretation of the same theme. To me it is the same as a Foose car, I can appreciate the first rate workmanship but it does not excite me or hold my interest and I am certain many people on here whose interest is traditional customs feel the same way.....

I agree 100%....while the car is a very beautiful and well executed, it doesn't have the history or pedigree....is it worth 390k ? maybe....for personel reasons I hope so..!
    By-the-way the Hirohata Merc was appraised for 1.1M it would probally sell for more...

22. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

<HR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #e5e5e5; COLOR: #e5e5e5" SIZE=1> <!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->
    While this car may have better workmanship and attention to detail than the Hirohata Merc , the early Barris cars was a revolutionary new concept at the time whereas this car is a fairly tame re-interpretation of the same theme. To me it is the same as a Foose car, I can appreciate the first rate workmanship but it does not excite me or hold my COLOR]

I agree to disagree. Having seen this car it has had a lot of heart and soul put into it and it is unfair to compare it with a plastic foose car. Its is a classic that breaks boundaries with more custom made parts and love than a most customs. You can not compare it with the Hirohata merc, but in 40 or 50 yrs it certainly will be right there in the equal history books. Worth it? yup money is only relative to those that have it. And this car sure is.

23. Muttley

Muttley

$390k for that car is asinine.

24. You can sleep in you car but you can't drive your house.

25. Cowtown Speed Shop

Cowtown Speed Shop
    from KC

Agreed!!......Charlies merc is really nice, But rudy's 40 is the best looking merc I have ever seen hands down!

26. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This post is a pendulum. I'll go out on a limb and say that the ones who think it's priced outta hand have never lived that "life" from any aspect. By that I mean any and all top end cars, even new stuff. It takes 4000hrs to restore a good complete Classic. I'll have that many in my truck for shit's sake, maybe more. The point being that the time invested alone carries a value that can't be measured in money. That tima also has to net spectacular results or it's just time spent for nothing...tinkering. Not the same. A bondo slinger may "see" a car like that in is head but it doesn't mean he could do it no matter how hard he tried or how bad he wanted it. Not every painter is an artist, not every shooter an expert marksman, and clearly that car isn't something "anyone" could just whip up. Then there's the type who will never "get it" regarding not only the topic car but anything of that ilk. That's actually alright in my book as long as the judgements are kept out of it. Is that car too high? I'm thinkin maybe a little, but I'm also hearing that shop rates in New York and California are at or over $100/hr. Gas is $4.00/gal or close. A gallon of red basecoat is $400-600. Chrome bills on some top $50K. 10yrs ago we'd be saying $190K was too much.

27. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

Straight off the line Bugatti Veyron will cost you over $1 million, and you could be parked up in Monte Carlo when another one exactly the same parks next to you. What's the chances of that happening to you in Nadine?
    Worth it?
    If you can afford it, why the hell not?

28. sololobo

sololobo

Good point Paul, one of a kind for sure. The photo of Nadine drag racing C. Casey's coupe is awesome. I am sure none of the others in it's class would be on a drag strip. Whatever goes down, Mercury Charlie is a cool daddy-o. ~sololobo~

29. Special Ed

Special Ed

"One of a kind"? Really? A very nicely done chopped Merc? How many thousands of them do you think are out there? It very well may be the nicest example out there, I don't know... but it's certainly not one of a kind, or unique.

30. jb39chev

jb39chev
    from Conroe,TX.

The true worth of anything for sale lies somewhere between what the seller wants and the buyer is willing to pay.