Register now to get rid of these ads!

What is the best reaction you have gotten from people?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by EnragedHawk, Jul 8, 2011.

1. Special Ed

Special Ed

Living in Southern California, it seems as though you can't drive for more than a block or two in any given direction on just about any day of the year, without seeing a really nice hotrod or custom. They just seem to be everywhere, and without the novelty, the public is just not impressed.
    During lunchtime one day a few years ago, I drove my Jet to a large shopping center to grab a fish taco when a middle-aged woman and her elderly mom in some grocery-getter followed me from the street into the parking lot, waited until I got out, and said; "I don't know anything at all about vehicles, but that's the most beautiful car that I've ever seen in my life". I was blown away. Still am. How do you respond to someone who would take their time to compliment you about someting that they don't even have a clue about? I'll never forget that...:)

2. dirtracer

dirtracer

Several years ago I was driving the truck in my avatar. It was parked in a huge lot with lots of other cars. I was parked up front and as I was leaving the store I heard these two old guys say to each other "Did you see that truck in various stages of decomposition?" I laughed to myself and kept walking.:p

3. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

Wow, there have been a lot of posts since last night! Thank you guys for sharing, I have really enjoyed reading all of these, there hasn't been a bad one yet!

4. Pulling Big Blue across country, we stopped in Big Beaver (ha ha ha) PA for some gas. As I was topping off the truck, an older gentleman in overalls shuffled over and struck up a conversation.
    "Is that your 1949 Plymouth? Did you just buy it?"
    "Sure is. Bought it a few years back, been hot rodding it with my son, and we're moving to VA."
    "Hot Damn, they just don't make 'em like that anymore. She looks great. If they built these cars today, they wouldn't be able to keep them on the lot."

And then he smiled, shook my hand, and wandered back to his truck. If Blue did that on a tow dolley, imagine what she'll do actually rolling the road!

5. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

Either they dont know, Dont show or dont care whats going on in the HOOD.

6. Never2low

Never2low

I'll never forget the only reaction I ever wanted to see. My dad and I had been going to shows for about six years. I'd never owned, or even road in, an "old" car and my dad hadn't either since he sold his '55 Chevy post sometime in '68. Everytime we would see a Chevy AD pick-up, he'd start talkin about "the old station truck" that he had to drive when he worked at a service station in the late 50's. Always stuck with me. He didn't know that I had saved up 6,000, and that I was looking for a mid 50's convert. He had already accepted the fact that he was never again going to be able to afford another hotrod and had expressed how much it had meant to him to "just drive". So coming home from golfing, one day, I stumbled apon a black AD pick-up for sale. A '50, with a stright six and some alum truck rims, just something to cruise. I bought it, got it plated, and drove straight to his house. He was in his driveway, hunched over, vacuming out his wifes car. I pulled in and yelled "Hey old man....wanna go for a ride?" he looked up with such a puzzled look on his face. He dropped the hose, climbed in, and off we went. Zipping down the country roads, niether of us saying anything. Just listening to the sound of six soilders marching in tune and the wind. I noticed him start to tear up a bit. I thought maybe it was just the smell of the turkrey farm we had just passed, but then he said "this is what I needed......this is what's been missing in my life.....this really bring back the memories" By this time I can barely see the road. Trying to steer, shift, and wipe away the tears rolling down my cheeks, I said "I figured as much......"
    Best day of my life.:cool:

Last edited: Jul 9, 2011
  7. was just getting into fresno in the 55 bread truck, I pulled into a parking lot, where some guys were hanging out, one guy looked over and said it looked like jeepers creepers lol.

8. yekoms

yekoms

Bein' a car nut my whole life I can still remember how cool it was to see a hotrod when I was a kid. Hell I guess that I'm still a kid cause I still like seein' hotrods.
    So when the coupe is on the road I'll like the reaction from the kids.
    Smokey

9. yekoms

yekoms

Never2low, You are a very lucky man to be able to do that. Thanks for makin' my day better.
    Smokey

clem likes this.
  10. last week i mocked up my chevy in the garage, when my wife got home from the shops, my 2 year old son charlie jumps out of the car and yells "dad built a hot rod! lets go for a drive!" that made my day.

11. bigalturk1

bigalturk1

Park next to me!

12. yardgoat

yardgoat

My brother in law and my sister came down from ohio to see my mother. they came out to the garage where i was working on my 1959 Dodge Townpanel.They walked around it and my brother in law said , you have lost your mind,you paid for this? I said yes its cool isnt it? they just walked away.............................YG

13. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Was out driving my '40 Stude coop one day for business. I'm in a coat and tie (used to sell commercial printing) going to my next appointment. I was stopped at a light when this new, dealer plated silver Mercedes hardtop pulls up on my passenger's, the driver motions me to roll down the window. I expected he wanted to see me lean over and roll it, but I just hit the power window button and roll it down. His mouth is agape. He asked me what engine/tranny/etc. then sez: "Want to trade?"

"Sure," I said, "...how much difference will you give me?"

Needless to say, he rolled up his window and pulled away from the light quickly without even saying anything.

R-

14. TerrytheK

TerrytheK
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

^^^^^
    I love stories like these. I have plenty of them of my own, and I think the kids' reactions are about the coolest. Most kids don't know what to make of it except that it's an old car and they like it.
    Years ago, we had our '39 coupe at the Street Rod Nats in St. Paul and I'd been wandering about. I got back to the car and there was a dad standing next it and his kid, maybe four or five years old, was ... wouldn't you know it.. standing on the running board, on tiptoes, hands on the window sill, trying to see inside the car. The dad saw me coming, must've had a jolt of guilt and hustled the little guy off the running board as I walked up. I looked at the kid and said, "You know, if you want to see inside all you gotta do is ask"! I opened up the door, and asked the kid if he thought he could fit behind the wheel. Never saw anybody climb into a car as fast as that little kid. He sat there twisting the steering wheel and making engine noises for maybe five minutes or so while his dad and I made small talk about the car. I can still remember how excited that kid was, and how much fun he was having playing behind the wheel. Hopefully, he never outgrew that.

I know I never have!

15. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Drove my 57 Fuely to Ace hardware --pulled into the parking lot and got out. An elderly fellow (older than me-I'm 68) came slowly over to the car. Looked at it for a bit and told me he KNEW what it was when he heard it coming--he was very knowledgable about FI cars with solids and said there was no mistaking that sound-said it took him back 40 years-really an enjoyable experience.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  16. MedicCustoms

MedicCustoms

I was driveing my dads 30 5 window with my kids in the rumble seat. We went to a freinds house that deals in old cars. As we are talking his phone rings and he startes laughing. It was his daughter she told him there was some guy at his house with his kids in the trunk of a car. I about lost it. It still brings a smile to my face. LOL

17. yblock292

yblock292

Best one was when i first got my model a coupe on the road, pulled into the local gas station to fill up. old farmer at the next pump kept looking at the coupe, pretty soon i say "watta think?", his reply............"Looks like you F#*^#$-up a pretty nice Model A!Next one was when i had my 29 roadster out, go to the liquor store, old guy running the place comes out to look at it, sez " now thats a real JALOPY!" nicest compliment i've ever got!

18. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

The best ones i get are from my school bus. Its a 35 footer, 66 chevy, all decked out, with a deck on top of it. Ive owned it for like ten years, had it at college as a daily driver for a while. That vehicle has dropped more pantys and tops then anything ive owned. The best was this chick on back of a harley flashed us her D's. It was all about timming and made that trip. So i guess getting laid is the best good reaction ive gotten resulting from my hard work on motorized vehicles.

19. belair

belair

My dad drove his pale yellow 57 chevy hardtop to Home Depot one night. When he came back, there was a mna from India who was simply mesmerized by the car. (Under those orange lights, it really did look good). The man just stood there, and finally asked what the car was, and finally just said " I have never seen anything like that. It is a beautiful car." And then he went on his way. Pretty cool moment.

20. grey46

grey46

I always get a kick when ever I gas up the 55 post ,when I come out from paying always a couple people standing around waiting to ask questions . I think my favorite is kids on the sidewalks yelling COOL CAR.

21. Spidercoupe

Spidercoupe
    from Bevier, MO

I was t salina last year and george barris told me I had a real nice car. I told him he didnt just make my day he made my year. about five minutes later gene winfield and vodo larry came up and were asking me how I did the top around the back glass. [cut through the glass instead of laying it down. Hell that 10 minutes made the century.

22. Larry T

Larry T

I've had lowered trucks for a daily driver since the early 70's. One day one of my "older" customers came in and asked who's truck it was. When I told him it was mine he said

"Damn son, looks like the bottom dropped out of it!"

Always makes me grin when I think about it.
    Larry T

Last edited: Jul 9, 2011
  23. Mart

Mart

Couple of times I've heard real young kids start singing "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" when I drive by in my A Roadster. I think that's neat.

Mart.

24. bangngears

bangngears
    from ofallon mo

The one i remember was when several of us were heading to the LA roadster show from Missouri.We were in New Mexuco and a Dodge magnum wagon was going by and i saw this little bitty hand next to the rear window with a thumbs up.Couldnt have been more than 3 years old.Never saw the kid,just a little hand.I cracked up,hope the driver saw me laughing

25. Back in the 80's, I was filling up my stock Model "A" four door at the gas station. An old guy came up and gave the car the full once over, never said a word. After he got through looking it over, he turned to me with a straight face and said "I got my first piece of a$$ in the back seat of a Model "A" four door and I'll never forget it". He never said another word, turned and walked away.

26. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

Was driving the Lark downt eh main drag and looked over to see the guy in the Progressive "first arrival vehicle" giving it a good look. He'd speed up and slow down to get different angles,,,, finally he pulls even and gives me the thumbs up.

While he is giving me the thumbs up some chick pulls out of Mcdonalds and cuts him off. He looked foward just in time to jam on the brakes and stop before clobbering her.

While not the greatest reaction it had the potential to be the most ironic situation I have ever seen.

27. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

I don't like this reaction, but it still makes me laugh. Every time I talk to my father about hot rods or my truck, he has pretty much the same reaction: "You should sell that van of yours so we can restore a corvette." It'd be nice if he were to fund a project and get involved, but I just don't care about corvettes and he's all about restoring to stock. He cringes when I say we could put an LS1 in it.

28. DRD57

DRD57

I drive my cars a lot so, I get a lot of reactions from people. Here are some of my favorite memories.

When I first got m Model A coupe on the road I noticed old guys usually asked "how's it ride?". Kids always asked "how fast does it go?"

My coupe, perpetually in primer because I have too man other projects in the works to spend any time or money on body work and paint, uually gets the reaction "What color (or when) are you going to paint it?

My roadster, a heavily patina'd beater, usually gets the reaction "Where did you find that?"

Once I stopped at a house, where there was a yard sale, because I saw a 29 coupe in the open garage. An old woman using a walker came out of the house and said "I love your Model A, is that 30 or 31?" I was impressed that she had narrowed it down that far.

I was driving down the freeway about 5 mph faster than a minivan in the lane to my left. As I came up on the van I could see a boy about 4 years old, with a sad look on his face, sitting sideways in the van looking out the right window. As soon as my coupe came into his view he cracked a big smile.

I was sitting at a red light in the left lane at a boulevard stop in my roadster. A Porsche Boxter pulld up next to me on the right. There were two young girls standing on the corner and one of them yelled "nice car". The Boxter driver nodded and said "thanks". The girl replied "Not You!"

Once I was sitting in my 32 roadster at a gas station, just enjoying the shade and drinking a Coke. A guy walked up to the car and didn't say anything at first. He just stood thre staring at the car. Finally, he asked "How does if feel to be one of the lucky ones?" I'm sure the woman who walked up next was sent to keep my ego and fat head in check because she asked "Is this one of those MG kit cars?"

My favorite was at Pleasanton in '09. On Sunday I parked my roadster next to that wooden shed over on the north side of the fairgrounds. It's a great photo spot for beaters. The crowd was pretty thin that early so, there were no cars anywhere around mine. My brother and I started walking to look at cars. We were about 100 yards away talking to someone when my brother told me to look over at my car. There was a guy in his 70's who had set his beer on the tulip panel and he was slowly rubbing both of his hands over nearly every square inch of the car. We watched him for a few minutes and my brother said "That guy is all over your car like it's his woman".

Later that afternoon we were over on the other side of the fairgrounds talking to someone else and I noticed someone standing really close out of the corner of my eye. I turned to look and it was the old guy who had been all over my car. He said "You own that car, don't you?"

He must have been on a quest all day to find the owner of that car because he wanted to buy it. Sorry, not for sale.

29. jalopy31

jalopy31

We stopped for gas at a rural gas station on the way to a cruise night a couple of years ago. While I was pumping gas, the cashier from the station (a 30-something girl) comes out and starts checking out the coupe.

She kept saying it was "bad to the bone" in between all the questions she was asking. What cracked me up was what she said just before we left - she said "that's just like the one Herman the monster drove on TV isn't it?". My wife and I still laugh about that every time we drive past that station. :)

Todd

30. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

I get lots.The best one is "Is that thing safe, do you have to wear a helmet?"