Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flathead 59a 8ba starter

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by telecustom, Jun 27, 2011.

1. telecustom

telecustom
    from Langey, BC

Quick question, I'm looking at a 51 ford meteor for sale and buddy says was running when parked in a garage for three years needs starter rebuilt to run. Well I have an original 59A starter, I've had a look inside and it looks o.k. Would my 59A starter fit with the 8BA block? If so I mite have a 'new' car.. then just rebuild the 8BA starter. So what works?
    Thanks
    Telecustom

2. paulie_boy13

paulie_boy13
    from NC

From what I understand if you have the correct starter plate it'll work. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

3. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

I also understand it that the starters are all the same but the mounting plates are different such as truck verses car, year etc Makes a difference on ring gear contact I believe and if I'm all wet please correct me too so we can all learn.:)

4. telecustom

telecustom
    from Langey, BC

5. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

It sounds like you have the 59A starter loose and in your hands. It shouldn't be too much trouble to go over to your buddy's place and remove the starter from the '51. Then you'll have both loose and in your hands. Inspect and compare. The basic piece (case and armature) is the same on each. The only potential difference is in the drive mechanism. They can be swapped.

6. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

All 221, 239, and 255 flathead starters interchange EXCEPT '51-3 automatic trans.
    V8-60 is different.

7. telecustom

telecustom
    from Langey, BC

Thank you Bruce, just when I think I'm down on my luck you come and save the day.