Register now to get rid of these ads!

How many of you are "That Guy"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bilt, Jun 24, 2011.

1. Harms Way

Harms Way

There you go !,.... Eloquent, and in a nut shell !!! I couldn't agree more. But there not all young guys !,... Some guys want your stuff so they can flip it, or ad it to there moth ball hording pile.

I had a guy come over one time, fell in love with a cool old Hot Rod part I had (A original SW gauge panel with early SW gauges) , and was practically in tears because he wanted it so bad for his project,... I didn't want to sell it, but shot him a fair price anyway. He acted disappointed and tells me I only have this much (a little over half of what I told him).

So I asked him,... this is going on YOUR car right ? "OH YES without question" the little worm replied,.. Well,.... OK..... Fast forward a year later, I am over at a friends house thats building a car, and I see the same panel in his dash, I asked him where he got it from?, He tells me this little worms name,... When did you get it ? Oh a bout a year ago,... what did you have to give for it?,.... I had to really step up to the plate, because the guy was firm on his price. ( around twice what I originally offered it to him for).

So there you go.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2011
  2. Its not necessairly a bad thing. Nothing wrong with being that guy. There are much worse things. If your not taking away from the family responsibilitys to pay for it thats OK. Ive still got a few vehicles that I owned before I got married 37 years ago. Back then My wife drove my 56 ford pk for a couple of years until the Y block crapped out. I have gathered a short bed frame& bed a 351 cleveland& FMX tranny. all I need is a good driver side door. I likely may never build it. It dont really matter its still worth more than it was when I first got it. I enjoy going out and looking at it. My wife when she sees me looking at the sitting and rotting thread will state( want to look at a bunch of cars? lets go around back):) Its not eating anything. the same can be said for my other 100 or so projects. Maybe with all the chrushing Ill eventually be the only source of old projects left. My collection might be of some value when I take the dirt nap. Its all in how you look at something:cool: Old Wolf

Attached Files:

3. bct

bct

you are not "that guy" if you collect parts and build cars from others junk. you are "that guy" if you are hoarding complete or near complete projects that will never be built.
    the vast majority of hot rodders are old. there is going to be a flood of projects and cars in the near future .....if you are going to sell your stash , do it soon.

4. I was that guy... all it took was a divorce. financial issues and some health issues... "All Cured now"! (bs)!

We're going to see quite a few of these up for auction as these guys start passing away...

5. That sonds kinda sad:(However you are not cured. If you where cured you wouldnt be posting on the HAMB. No wife to hold you back ! Now you can achive Infamy& greatness beyond your wildest dreams.
    OldWolf

6. UNSHINED 2

UNSHINED 2

I've been thinkin this same thing. There just aren't that many people my age and younger that are into these ol' jalopies! I know, because I have a hell of a time finding people my age, in my area, to get together and cruise or hit some of the bigger traditional shows. Its too bad because at the same time I am not quite to that comfort age when you finally start making a decent living and the kids are leaving the house so there is some extra cash.

I don't mind paying what stuff is worth, but honestly, SOME, not all, prices do seem to be a little off base after seeing some of the collections of parts I have seen. Especially after what's available on the aftermarket. Don't get me wrong, this isn't a rant or anything-- I have all respect in the world for my hot rod elders. But sometime here in the not too distant future, there's gonna be a pretty saturated market. JMHO ........

By the way, I am one of those guys too. But everything I have is junk. If I didn't keep this stuff, it would definitely get scrapped. At least I saved some of it!

Last edited: Jun 25, 2011
  7. jobbless

jobbless

I am kind of that guy. I have 16 cars. 3 are currently together and on the road. and almost enough parts to build 3 30-31 A roadsters. While I would sell a few cars. The ones I am willing to part with, the old lady wants to keep. The ones she wants to sell I couldn't bring myself to part with. And I am always looking for more.

8. dmikulec

dmikulec

I've been collecting parts for the Newport and hope to have her back on the road (more or less) before the end of the year, so... with that said, I am taking "donations" so that I can build me a serious "go fast" car. :cool:

9. ab_51Ford

ab_51Ford

Im 26...I hope I'll have the means to turn into that guy!

10. and now, another episode of "American Picker"........

Make a bucket list....WHAT can you get done in 2-5 years...sell the rest...hey there is a site where you can sell to guys that are looking for your parts.......
    the HAMB classified ads

11. 46stude

46stude

I had quite a collection of junk- until we moved 'bout 2 yrs ago. A good relocation will usually make you realize that some of the stuff you've amassed isn't all that neccessary. I got rid of 5 Y blocks, 4 or so "project vehicles", a couple misc motors & a ton of other crap, mostly because it was easier to part with than to move & store somewhere.

I have even come close to parting w/ my Studebaker a few times, as I've felt like "that guy" by holding on to it. Ten years & its still not even started.... but in the last month or so I've done some "soul searching" & looked around at other options. I've decided to become "that guy" who drives a cool old Stude instead of "that guy" with the cool old Stude he's letting rot away. LSRU '12 or bust, baby.

Attached Files:

• M5a.jpg
      M5a.jpg
      File size:
      130 KB
      Views:
  12. cheveey57

cheveey57

When you say "that guy" Do you mean the guy in your avatar?

13. Caught again...!:)

Not sad... I discovered it's easier to move to another location if you drive your cars... not having to pack them in trailers and disperse them into another building!

14. JimSwann

JimSwann

My friend is "that guy" 14 39-40 Ford Sedans, coupes, and 1 40 truck. Half of them are Drivers, the rest are in process of restoration or are parts cars. Also tons of parts, some NOS. Incredible collection of stuff and a really cool guy.

15. Crestliner

Crestliner

I am and i'm not that guy. Been collecting for years and selling extras to feed my hobby. Now at 71 and old body isn't what it used to be, its time to sell most of my parts and a car or 2. Really don't want to auction, rather give good prices to others in the hobby.

16. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

There is so much stuff out there that IS for sale that no one could build it all.I dont get why there are always THOSE GUYS that hound and bother THAT GUY. Its his stuff.This stupid debate has been going on since the beguinning of time.No one owes any of us anything except to treat each other with respect.

17. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

im becomeing that guy. no no no im that guy. But im 30 and need more stuff. i need parts or maybe parts cars. I have like 14 cars right now.

18. Ah shit! I may be a little bit of "that guy"..I'm only about 1/2-2/3rds finished with my 34 five window and I'm 63 years old...made a solemn promise to myself [and the missus] that I wouldnt' buy any more projects or parts for projects I dont' currrently own. Welp, I have 4 SBC chevy motors [using a Pontiac in the 34] and 3 T-5 trannys, 2 sets of trick pistons for chevys and a killer set of Oliver rods, dual quad setup, trick distributor, big heads..all for chevy.
    There's a swap meet tomorrow..maybe I should dump the chevy parts but what if I don't like the Poncho engine or it breaks?Hmmm...guess I'd better hang onto my little 57 Lloyd tudor and all the chevy stuff...just in case.
    Then, I remember I have 2 rented storage garages just for my "stuff"...geeze.

Attached Files:

19. SOCAL PETE

SOCAL PETE
    from Ramona CA

A good friend of mine and I had this very discussion the other day.

We decided to throw in all our parts and build a gasser to race and enjoy...screw it Life is to short.

20. castyman

castyman

Amen. Hoarders,,,Im a recovering pack rat too!!Might as well put it all together!Rat rod!!! Saw some Kool ones at the Queen Mary!!!!!
    There is no A&E episodes yet!! Thanks Vic

21. darkk

darkk

I'm gonna get smoked for this one....I HATE those guys. I bought a 33 chevy 3 window coupe about 15 years ago.<==**edited to correct**old age has me, my wife informed me it was closer to 18-20 yrs ago.**I paid a $1000. for it. The body was complete with all the window regulators,garnish mouldings,in/out handles,with a bare frame. The body had absolutely no rust,no rot. It was untouched and mint. I had big plans for it. Well after sitting down and figuring what it would cost to build what I saw as a finished car, I realized I would never afford to do it in any reasonable amount of time. I had that car for 3 years in my garage. I sat and looked at it every day for a month debating what to do with it. I realized that if I kept the car I would be one of those guys that's gonna build a hot rod some day. I called one of the guys I knew at one of the local car clubs and told him what I had for sale. Nobody even knew I had it. I told him the first guy that shows up with a $1000. owned it. I'll bet 50 guys from the club showed up in about 2 hours. Trailer,money, and bibs to drool on, causing a traffic jam in my neighborhood. Somebody got the deal of the century, I'm glad it went to a good home. I'm really really sorry I sold it,but it would probably still be in the garage waiting...

Last edited: Jun 27, 2011
  22. whatever works for YOU :p

There's gonna be a big auction at my place! :) When?.....Outlive me and find out. :cool: I'll be adding to the inventory in the meantime.....

23. A tractor Guy I know died about a year ago. He was a Allis chalmers collector. He collected more than 40 project tractors. His wife reciently had a auction. Those old tractors& parts he collected and saved from the scrap man brought thousands of dollars. He got to play with & enjoy his hobby and in the end his family benefited. much better than dying and leaving nothing but debt. I fail to see the problem with being THAT GUY. As long as you can keep the perspective that you own the stuff. When It reverses and something own,s you and it becomes more than just a car tractor ect thats a problem. If it harms others or causes financial hardship that is bad. In the end it is only just stuff that you like. OldWolf

24. bigalturk1

bigalturk1

"That guy" is my friend up North. He bought a nice 41' Ford 2 door Sedan, all stock. HE drove it from Vermont back home to R.I. and parked it in his driveway. The only things he done were to squirt the cylinders (ATF) and put it up on Jackstands. The first winter it had a cheapo car cover (Lasted one season) and for the other 24 years it's just been sitting there! He has an AMX in the garage that is 95% finished (That took 16 years) and a Harley that he crashes about every other year. I went with him to buy a complete Lincoln Virsii disc brake rear end ($100) for the 41' Ford and it's been sitting (And rusting) in the grass uncovered, for 20years!
    He's 63...WTF is he waiting for?

25. cakes

cakes

My problem is that no one wants to buy my stuff...

26. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Well, this thread has been very interesting to read. Certainly people on both sides of the fence as well as the middle. If this thread doesn't get you to thinking about this topic, then you might be dead. I now understand how some of these hoarders feel towards those who aren't as well off as well as vice versa.

In the end, there is no wrong "path" to take. This also brought up another concern.. Making sure those who inherit your parts and cars know how valuable they are. Nothing worse than some low-life ripping off people because of their lack of knowledge regarding their inheritance. But then again.. They may get the "Barrett-Jackson" curse.

What's a good middle ground in between those extremes?

iPhone - TJJ App

27. Invicta

Invicta

My Dad always told me, You never want to be "That Guy". In this case, I think I do.

28. The Shocker

The Shocker

Im completely the opposite of "that guy" .I will use a plastic knife and garbage bag ties to get something on the road if i have to .Im 38 now and i may never see 39 ( you never know).I havent and will never let lack of motivation stand in my way ...

29. woodywagon1965r

woodywagon1965r

Was noting the stuff i had laying around ..just gave away free to a good home.. t bird gave away a nice steel caddy aircleaner..cam ..roller tip rockers.. heads ..intake holy crap stuff was flying outta my place like it was on fire..now i need to go buy some stuff my basement is looking empty...crap

30. PinHead

PinHead

I say there's nothing wrong with hoarding or stockpiling stuff so long as you keep it well preserved. You may not ever get to it, but at least keep it in decent enough shape that someone will still be able to use it, someday.

Now the guys that let perfectly good tin sit and rot til it's worthless, all because they're too stubborn to admit that they will never, ever get around to fixing it up... That's a different story.