Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Old DETROIT AUTORAMA picture thread, what do you have ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Harms Way, Nov 18, 2010.

1. ProEnfo

ProEnfo
    from Motown

Tom Kasch / Cobo 1973

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. portage

portage
    from Montana

Surprise----Looks like they (1960 autorama pics) showed up in my previous post after all!!!!
    If my luck holds out, there might be more included with this posting!
    PLW

Attached Files:

Stogy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  3. ProEnfo

ProEnfo
    from Motown

Great photos.. keep them coming.. :cool:

4. Harms Way

Harms Way

Great pictures,... if you have any more ,. please post them.

5. hemifarris

hemifarris

Don't forget Pete's Custom on Fenkell, east of Telegraph Rd. Paul Hatton used to do flames, scallops and pin striping using Pete's shop as his home base in the late 50's, early 60's.......Pete was a great body man and Paul a Detroit area legend. Paul striped many of my Dad's old cars and I was lucky enough to have him flame my '68 Sportster, in '68..........Mike

6. 32coupedeville

32coupedeville
    from cincy

[​IMG]
    very cool and very close to the car i will be taking to this years autorama

Attached Files:

7. Great stuff from the old " Wheelspin News" colesy.......thanks.

8. That was my hangout, watching Hatton stripe and Pete do bodywork. The earliest work on the little deuce coupe was done at Pete's. I got the striping bug from Paul Hatton. His son Brian, is looking for photos of his dad's work from that era, so if anyone has some, please post them here.
    I also hung out at Bill Hines over on Dix and while he was painting my skirts, the original Lil Bat was sitting in the corner with the wire frame sculpture of the rear fins being installed for the 1958 Autorama debut.
    Great memories of the real Autorama era, before the wild stuff.

9. reaper71

reaper71

Just to throw this in. I lived in MI. for 28 yrs (moved in 99) me and Dad went almost every year and it's amazing how it has evolved through the years! It is truly one of the best shows out there. i haven't been back since i moved and really miss going to the show. just my .02 :cool:

10. =================================================

Met Paul and Brian at Bowling Green,they had the Mustang parked beside us..
    Both great guys..

And yes,there looking for pictures.
    Rick

11. Here's a few I shot back in the 60's.

Rick

Attached Files:

12. Harms Way

Harms Way

Recently I got a PM from "frightliner07" here on the HAMB,.. followed by a phone call,..we had a good time talking and knew a number of the same people,.. including a mutual Hot Rod buddy that moved up here years ago,..

Anyway, frightliner07 had a picture of his sweet lil 40' Coupe that he showed in the 1956 Detroit Autorama at the state fair grounds,... He sent me the picture,... so I could post it. And share it with all us knuckleheads !

Thanks frightliner07 !,..... Anybody else got some ? Lets post them up here,.....
    [​IMG]

13. Harms Way

Harms Way

And heres some other pictures (I think was suppose to go here) from another thread. Thanks for posting them 59BuickWagon !

"Dennis, here's some shots from the Feb'58 Autorama?? or its predecessors held either at the Michigan State fair grounds or at the University of Detroit building. Again sorry about the poor quality
    :eek:<o>:p</o>:p
    JC"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Harms Way

Harms Way

And a few more !,....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Can you find the pack of Camels ? :D
    [​IMG]

15. Harms Way

Harms Way

Another one from the 1960 Autorama (Dig that CrAzY PrIcE !!!)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 1, 2011
  16. Harms Way

Harms Way

17. Harms Way

Harms Way

18. Harms Way

Harms Way

19. Harms Way

Harms Way

20. 850 dollars for a Clark Kaiser Kustom urghhhhhh where is that time machine!!!!!

21. Thanks for the awesome pix! And doesn't Hatton drive a Dart (62/63ish, black primer, etc)? I see it all the time!

JK

22. the other me

the other me

Does anyone recognise the little white car in the left of center with the hood up? It looks like an English Ford that was builtraced by the Paris Brothers from Holland Michigan area. I can not make out what is on the side...might be "Run Spot Run"? I've only been told about the car by 333 Half Evil a.k.a. Al Larsen from Holland. He was asking me about my English Fords, as he was wanting to buy one for John Kouw of Cruisin Customs, whom would like to build a replica of the Paris Brothers English Ford drag car. I tried to attach a cut out of the pic showing just that car....hopefully it works!!! If anyone has any other pics showing more of that car, could you please post them or contact me. Thanks in advance for any info.

Attached Files:

23. Trichop

Trichop
    from Eaton,Ohio

I thought the first "Detroit Autorama" was held in 1952?

24. Check post 42 and you will see that the first Autorama was 1953. Harmsway is so old that he was there,
    oops, so was I.

25. Harms Way

Harms Way

No,.. actually, I was just a lil' squirt in 53', But "hotrod1940" is so old he farts dust !:D

How about a bump !

26. Not a real old pic but old to me. :)

Me and Mr. Alexander in front of my coupe. (I believe in 06)

Attached Files:

27. Back to the top. There has to be more photos from the early Autorama out there. The problem is that in the old days you got 12 shots then had to stick in a new roll and then take them to the drug store to have them developed. Not many bothered to do it.We are spoiled with the digital cameras and I love them.

28. Harms Way

Harms Way

Common,.... Post those old Detroit Autorama pictures !,.... If you don't have a scanner,... maybe some other HAMBer in your area will scan them for you.

29. Harms Way- Very cool thread. I grew up in south lyon, around the Cowtown Cruiser's and the Sparkplugs, both MHRA clubs. I hang out with some of the Cowtown cruiser's guys, Elwood, Billy Baakhaus (Billy-Bob), Ed Muha ('Edard)... I grew up riding my bike up to Brown's rootbeer... He daily drove his 34 roadster up there almost every day.... I'd love to join one of those clubs, I know the Cowtown Cruisers "arent excepting any members" right now.... How do they expect anyone to "carry the torch" without letting any new guys in? The sparkplugs clubhouse is in My friends Dad's back yard... Maybe I should go see them.... I know ya gotta be a "hang around" for a while, but everyone I hang out with is a member of 25 years+, and when they say it is impossible to get anyone in, it doesnt seem right....

James on here, but everybody just calls me "Rudy"

Back to your regularly scheduled cool Autorama pics.....

30. Photos that I would love to see are of a semi custom from the fifties in the Detroit Autorama that was owned by Gene Custer. Beautiful peach colored 1950 Ford COnvertible with Jimmy Jones skirts. I wanted to buy it bad, but my dad insisted that I get a new 56 Chevy. I really loved them both. Back to the top.