Register now to get rid of these ads!

Model A Steering Column, Can't get it out.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bob 1743, Jun 12, 2011.

1. Bob 1743

Bob 1743

I thought this would be easy, but it's not working out that way.

1930 Model A Coupe, I'm trying to remove the original steering column, and am having some difficulty. Every bolt at the base is loose, well lubricated, & the column turns freely. If I turn the steering wheel full lock to the right, the column begins to draw out of the box, about 3/4 inch. I can't get the column out any further. I must be missing something. Anyone have a diagram of how the column is attached to the box, or a detailed explanation on removing it.

2. i pull the wheel off and slide the whole unit out the bottom box and all, then the tube can be removed. the steering shaft that the wheel bolts to is part of the box.

3. Bob 1743

Bob 1743

Someone here must have removed a column at one time or another. How'd you do it ?

4. what am i? chopped liver?

5. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

I believe the sector and housing need to be removed if you want to part the column shaft from the box.

6. Fenders

Fenders

Ha ha I guess he didn't like your method :D

7. badshifter

badshifter

At least he took the time to say "thanks, but that's not an option at the moment".............
    Funny how so many want help but so few respond to the help offered.

8. Houston, we have a problem...this guy told you exactly how its done. What did you not understand?

9. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

while i havent taken one apart, i also have never seen a model a box without the column attached to it.

10. Bob 1743

Bob 1743

OK guys, I've been put in my place. I like the Chopped Liver answer, a real northeast expression, I'm a relocated NYer.

I waited a few days hoping to get an EZ answer to the problem, which goes a little deeper. I can't get the steering wheel off, the nut is mangled. tb33anda3rd probably has the answer, I was wrong in thinking that the column & box could be separated. There is also a problem with working room. The starter is very close to the box & the linkage goes through the chassis, the starter and linkage would probably have to be removed first. The object of all this is to lift the body off the chassis and the steering column & wheel are just in the way. I'm at the point where I am ready to plug in the sawzall, I just don't have the heart to destroy a good column.
    By the way, I do appreciate the answers I get in this forum, and I thank all.

11. The37Kid

The37Kid

Unless my mind is totally shot, you remove the pitman arm, remove three bolts that hold the box to the frame, pop the wire loom bail,remove the toeboard draft sheilds, undo two screws that hold the column to the tank and the whole things falls on your face. What am I missing? This is'nt rocket science.

barrnone50 likes this.
  12. AstroZombie

AstroZombie

That's pretty much it, but I do recommend you remove the starter. It's only 3 bolts IIRC, and it frees up a bunch of room.

13. The37Kid

The37Kid

That goes without saying, but maybe the guy doesn't hava a 9/16 socket and extention. :rolleyes:

14. it's harder, and you will need more people, but if you remove the floorboards and remove the bolts holding the steering column, you can lift the body over the wheel.

15. alchemy

alchemy

This is the opposite of how the factory assembled it. They dropped the body down over the fully assembled chassis, with steering wheel already on it.

16. Timsalways

Timsalways

I love this :)

17. The37Kid

The37Kid

Welcome to thne HAMB! Thanks for draging an old thread baxck to the top, wonder if that column ever got removed? :rolleyes:Bob

18. silversink

silversink

this is the way we do it

19. Bob 1743

Bob 1743

I can't believe this was brought up from 2 1/2 years ago.
    I ended up doing it the Silversink way.
    Removed the floorboards, lifted the body off & sold the chassis with the steering box,column & steering wheel still in place.

I did this 2 1/2 years ago, thanks for the trip down memory lane,
    Bob

20. a third way of doing this is a sawzall:eek:
    or are you asking about just the outer tube? they can be removed if it is a convertible or sedan if you remove the horn rod loosen the box on the frame, loosen the clamp disconnect the links for the advance and hand throttle and lower the column from the tank. but the steering shaft is still part of the box.

21. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

There were 2 entirely different Model A steerings...1928-9-early '30 had column made as a unit with box, '30-31 was like V8 with separate column tube held to box by a simple clamp at the bottom. Just look at top of actual box and see if there's a clamp around the tube. If no clamp, remove steering wheel (well, you need to do that for both) and whole mess can be dropped out the bottom. I think you should be able to get it out up hill too if you remove toe and floor boards.