Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone have info on a '53 Corvette Nomad windshield?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by heywacha, Jun 3, 2011.

1. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There is one of these cars locally. I asked him about the car and it's an older replica of the prototype mentioned. It is based on a Nomad with fiberglass front clip and rear fenders. The car is all steel, otherwise. He also had it chopped a bit.

I would bet on the windshield being a Nomad windshield if it's an older replica. If it's Superior's replica, you already have your answer.

2. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow Bruce! Something you want to share with us? :eek::D

3. heywacha

heywacha
    from Orange, CA

HAHA! Seriously Bruce, how does that accidentally happen?

4. heywacha

heywacha
    from Orange, CA

Thanks Scooter, I'll keep you guys posted...

5. Did a resto on 1 of the original "Waldorfs for a gentleman in AZ about 15 years ago.
    Needed a windsheild .
    Bingo, 55 nomad dropped right in.

6. WaldorfNomad

WaldorfNomad

I'm a Waldorf Nomad nut and if there's anyone who has researched the Waldorf more than me I'd like to talk to them. I do not believe there is any way a 55 Nomad windshield would fit in the original Waldorf Nomad. The windshield width on a 55 Chevy hardtop is 58.5 - Slope angle is 41.9 degrees - and the Height on slope is 16.8. The 54 Nomad windshield width is 57.5 - Slope angle is 55 degrees - and the Height on slope is 20.9. As you can see the Waldorf windshield is one inch narrower, the slope angle is more severe and the height of the windshield on the slope is 4.1 inches longer. If you look at an original photo of the Waldorf you can see that the windshield extends much farther forward than the 55 Nomad. Compare these figures to a 53 Corvette roadster - windshield width is 53.6 - Slope angle is 55 degrees (same as Waldorf Nomad) - and the Height on slope is only 16.9, 4 inches shorter than the Waldorf. All of the Nomads discussed here sound like production Nomad or Safari conversions of which there are quite a few around.
    I have searched for the original Waldorf Nomad for years. If anyone has any leads or old photos that have not already been in circulation, please email me at [email protected]
    Thanks, Dave

7. Maybe 56-62 Corvette?
    I know they're taller than a 53-55 but don't know about width.

8. WaldorfNomad

WaldorfNomad

The most obvious difference between the 56-62 Vette windshield and the Corvette Nomad is the slope of the "A" pillar. The Vette's is slanted forward while the Nomad's is more vertical. I'm not sure of the exact figures on the 56-62 model windshields but I believe the slope is 50 degrees and the height on the slope is 17.31. The width I think is the same as the 53-55. Anyone have the exact data?
    Windshields are tricky. One of the two 54 Vette hardtops created for the Motorama is being restored in Canada. The windshield looks very much like a 56-62 production Vette windshield but, it's not. The windshield is different and that is causing the owner a headache as somewhere along the line the original windshield got busted and in a futile attempt to replace it with a 56 windshield, the original, one-off frame was discarded. Now they have neither frame nor glass! <http://www.1954motoramacorvette.com/gallery/>