Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Breezed through a car show today

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Boeing Bomber, May 30, 2011.

1. Boeing Bomber

Boeing Bomber

Made a quick walk through of the "Cruise to Colby" in Everett today. Maybe 14 blocks of car show in down town Everett, Wa. Several hundred cars, but only about 10% were of interest to me. I know, to each his own, and if you're into muscle cars you might have been more impressed, but what are the new Challengers, and Mustangs doing there? A row of Mavericks? And I'm not taking built of anything, just like my Grampa's ol' 6 banger. It all made me realize the best part of our old Hot Rods is DRIVING them.
    Lookin' forward to "HotRod-o-Rama, and Billetproof. Thanx for lettin' me vent.

2. ErikDaViking

ErikDaViking

I was wondering if they were doing Hot Rod O Rama again this year. Thats a good show...The Camwinders show in August is fun too...

3. ErikDaViking

ErikDaViking

Also, July 2nd the Anchor (on Hewitt) is doing a car show with a few bands, thats usually a pretty good show for cool cars, and the bar is cool too.

4. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

yep, some shows just do not do much for me either. do a quick walk through and say howdy to those people I know are plenty for me. knew a guy that was nick named 1/2 Day, because by Noon at a show he was ready to leave. sometimes I consider myself 1/4 Day because I am ready to leave a couple of hours after getting there.

5. mt shasta steve

mt shasta steve

Went to Hotrods and Hotdogs, a small local show in Mt Shasta Saturday. About 30 local cars, I've gotten to know most of the people. Got there about 11, walked and talked, had a hotdog, and the show broke up about 2:30. Drove around town and saw a few other car show guys cruising. Got SNOWED on on the way home. A good day all around.

6. uncle buck

uncle buck

I did a cruise thru this morning too. I saw Dirty Dug's roadster for the first time and that was my favorite car there. I have to agree about the new Mustangs and Challengers, not of any interest to me, but they were having just as good of time as the rest of us.

Last edited: May 31, 2011
  7. 61falcon

61falcon

we (me and the better half) don't do many shows, only if its for a charity. We prefer local cruise nights and goodguys events. sitting around waiting for someone to judge my car and give out plastic trophies got old real fast. the final straw was when some mental midget was fighting mad because my car was in the wrong class and if i won, he was gonna protest. i told him where he could put the trophy, and that was the last judged car show we have gone to. we have more fun just driving the car to dinner, or friends houses or whatever. the journey is usually better than the destination.

8. jrt49box

jrt49box

[​IMG] I was there! Had a good time!

9. RHOPPER

RHOPPER

I don't get guys with stock late model corvettes at hod rod shows. If I can go to the chevy dealer and buy one just like it, it's not special. Likewise new mustangs, camaros, and challengers. Nice cars and I wouldn't kick one out of my garage, but not show material. I must admit, I prefer shows without classes, trophies, or "winners". Just gatherings of like minded people who can't leave their cars alone.

10. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

how about some pictures from Colby... I heard Hotrod o rama was a no go this year...

driving is always more fun..

11. Dave B.

Dave B.

I had a busy working weekend! Hit 2 cruise-ins, one Friday and one Saturday... about 90 and 300+ cars respectively. My mission was to pass out flyers for our club's upcoming events. The bad weather this spring meant that attendance at the cruises was so poor that we had hundreds of flyers waiting to be distributed.

Sunday I went to a car show at a local church. This was a flyer-only mission! Drove the daily, parked in the spectator area and passed out about 90 flyers in 15 minutes. There was very little of interest to me at that show!

Today was much better... I'm a ham radio operator and was honored to be part of the communications net at the oldest Memorial Day parade (143rd consecutive year...) in the U.S. The route was a little less than 3 miles, but the temps were around 90 with very high humidity. Since I'm the "old car guy" in the radio club, I got assigned to the parade division that contained the old cars... That was fine with me. I saw quite a few old friends and made some new ones. The hi-lite of the division was a guy who showed up with a bobbed deuce-and-a-half with historic plates! The little kids went nuts for it.

12. Dave B.

Dave B.

Oh yeah... about the guys who bring the new cars to shows...

I just don't get it, but they seem to have a great time, especially talking to each other. The show I went to on Sunday even had a Smart Car, complete with dealer brochures in the hatch area.

Our club has come up with special classes for the new stuff so that the older cars don't have to compete against them. Kind of a pain in the butt, but it's the only way we can have fair judging. After all, how much fault can you find with the paint and interior on a brand new car?

13. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

Rolf and I went up to Colby. There's nothing wrong with an all breads car show. They are what they are and that's why I usually wouldn't bother but Rolf asked so we went. It's a good thing not everyone is interested in early Fords, all the more for you and me. Traditional hot rod builders, I think, would rather go for a drive on two lane blacktop than plant their ass in a lawn chair all day. There were five or six cars I found interesting and saw some good friends. We left at 1:30, clearly against the rules. Next Sunday is the Ford Picnic at Bellevue Community College. You won't find a better selection of great early Fords anywhere in the Seattle area all summer long.

14. jrt49box

jrt49box

here are some pictures

Attached Files:

15. jrt49box

jrt49box

more

Attached Files:

16. mlagusis

mlagusis

Where is the Camwinders show and what date?

New to Washington so what are the other show to go to? I heard Hotrodarama was a great show...but it is no longer.

Going to Palouse next Sat for the Knuckleskrapers show. Anyone else going?

17. jrt49box

jrt49box

pictures

Attached Files:

18. jrt49box

jrt49box

more

Attached Files:

19. nice pics love the blue 39 coupe thanks

20. jrt49box

jrt49box

more

Attached Files:

21. jrt49box

jrt49box

pictures

Attached Files:

22. Got there early, parked my 41 Chevy 6 wheeler "Crusty Cruiser #2, down from Colby off Hewitt Street. Walked several blocks looking at all the cool rides and snapped these pictures of Shaun's truck, another "Art Deco Chevy" .

Attached Files:

23. 390ford1

390ford1

Were you at the Lakewood plant farm car show? I think I met you there. Denny from Marysville.

24. I've got a shit ton of pictures of all the traditional and tasteful cars. I'll post later. Did anyone see the Auburn or the 1919 cadillac limo? too cool.

25. bloodyjack

bloodyjack

I took the roadster to the cruise yesterday. They block off the streets to traffic and I still got busted by the cops for pealing out and wearing Ipod headphones.
    Whatever

26. I was kinda hoping to see your car today. Sounds like you had a good time friday though.

27. bloodyjack

bloodyjack

Prolly gunna take it to the early Ford picnic next Sunday at Bellvue community collage
    Oh and I am going to buy a beeny to wear to hide the fact I am wearing my inear monitors, because the pipes are too loud

28. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

I woulda been there but my coupe is still motor-less

29. brady1929

brady1929

30. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

Never understood new cars at car shows, I always blow right by them without interest. I'd rather look at a rough car that someone has poured their heart and soul into, even if it is still a little rough or not finished yet. Someone sitting by their brand new financed bone stock Camaro for hours to get a little plastic trophy is pretty sad, unless of course the car is highly modified.