Register now to get rid of these ads!

Am I missing something here? WTF?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FoxSpeed, May 28, 2011.

1. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

I'll focus on just the cost facter and not the lazy part. While it is true your paying for 50% water the real cost in most products is in the packaging. I see it all the time at work.

2. Uhhhh, if you have 50/50 in your car and you add more, premixed, 50/50, it stays the same 50/50 ratio

3. Willy301

Willy301

I always carry an empty jug in the vehicle along with my self mixed, if I run out, I buy a new gallon and Advanced auto has always allowed me to use their slop sink, I just fill both my jugs with a 1/2 gallon of water each and then divide the new gallon...in their parking lot...

4. skullhat

skullhat

funny, in my motorcycles i usually use peak pre mix, as you are just adding a little, and we get it pretty cheap.
    for cars and trucks, i just pour in distilled water and regular anti freeze.
    if the car is running a little warm, i may run more water than a/f , as it cools better.
    ive seen the mixed stuff on sale for much less than the regular stuff at times, and then you dont got to buy the distilled water

skull

5. wvenfield

wvenfield

I always carry a gallon with me when I travel also but the 50/50 can come in handy on the road. Sure you can throw it in straight but I'm not running tap water in my car.

A friend of mine saves even more by carrying a couple gallons of distilled water only. 1. if it leaks, no mess. 2. If you are low on coolant, the distilled water will work fine. 3. You can use it in your battery. 4. If need be, you can drink it. 5. Great for cleaning bird crap off the car. 6. In a pinch, washer fluid. 7. Hand cleaner. 8. Most of those don't apply in the winter.

6. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

its because 5 out of 4 people dont understand fractions:rolleyes::D

7. Deuces

Deuces

Hahahahaha.... I need my morning coffee. :D

8. What a sad commentary on our education system that adult males can't figure out a 50/50 mixture - to stupid to walk, so I guess they have to drive.

And I guess I may be in that category too, cuz I've never bought a gallon of distilled water in my life, and my batteries and cooling systems seem to last just as long as the best I've read about.

On the other hand all my pals get better deal on all major appliances, buy new cars below cost, get their car insurance at half of mine, etc, etc. Maybe I'll get lucky and find an acorn under an oak tree some day.

All with a smile.

Charlie

9. RichG

RichG

"It was my understanding that there would be no math questions..."

P.S. that stuff is there for the folks who drive up to the door and need coolant in their car. The parts store is making them pay for the convenience, and I personally think that's just fine. I bought a jug of premix, it's in the back of my wife's van. I could have mixed some of my own and put it in there, but this way she has a sealed bottle and I don't have to hear about how she can smell antifreeze in her car... so I paid for MY convenience!:p

10. They're geniuses.

And probably all sitting around a big conference room with a Powerpoint presentation saying "We raised our profits 100% this year!"

Sam

11. nukeGM

nukeGM

A little levity never hurt anybody but,

It was Alfred P Sloan.

Sloan invented the idea of designing a death date into every part of a product, he marketed the idea that bright and shiny new products would encourage people to buy more often, He designed Planned Obsolescence around the idea that both the Physical and Mental part of owning a vehicle would tarnish with age and what better way to make people buy more and by more often than to design the parts of the product to offer less functionality while also wearing out at a faster pace. -Make then Need a new product as the old one's shine has worn off and the engine is dead.

The off shoot of Sloan's Planned Obsolescence was that in the early 30's, many other companies started to copy Sloan by designing repeatable sales into their product.

Companies like Alka Seltzer hinted that it now took 2 tablets to relieve heartburn.
    Up until 1930, they had marketed as "Plop, Fizz Oh What A Relief It Is" but when Sloan's ideas began to spiral auto sales ever upward, Alka Seltzer changed their slogan to "Plop Plop Fizz Fizz" thus selling twice the product for the same money!

Do you see the relation here?
    We have been trained to believe that convenience and the short life cycles of products is the norm to such an extent that we buy Campbells "Ready To Serve" soups and "Ready Mix Antifreeze".
    -Both are nothing less than brilliant marketing as well as %50 water all heavily based on selling the market more for less and selling more, more often.
    The Company Accountants absolutely love the blind masses as do the company shareholders..

And it all started somewhere and that was back in the 1920's when Sloan came up with the idea of "Keep the customer coming back" by designing Every Aspect of the product to give less service, cost less to manufacture, imply that the new product is somehow better because it is new, design every part with a death date, design it to break in your hands and make it cost prohibitive to repair (if not impossible).

Selling the public water is just another offshoot of giving the consumer less for more money (profits), Thanks you Alfred P Sloan CEO of General Motors.

We have all been fleeced and now take it as the norm to buy a new blackberry or digital camera every 12-18 month's.

I am an old geezer that can remember when the Engineer's stood up against the corporation and questioned why Sloan et el was forcing them as engineers, to design mousetraps that fail and not design an actual superior car/parts.

The idea of 'a better mousetrap' is one that may or may not last as long as it takes to catch One mouse.
    When that better mousetrap breaks, we buy another and thus we all keep the accountants and shareholders happy.

Sad but True.

We could all Boycott Planned Obsolescence by purchasing the longer lasting, less diluted, larger 'family packs' and support companies that offer superior engineering in their products and not those that design a "death date" built in.
    But that didn't happen in the 30's when GM brought us cars that break in our hands so why should that happen now?

We have all been fleeced

12. FormerFueler

FormerFueler

That's like 125% !

13. You're not buying the air....you are renting the compressor.

14. Cub8556

Cub8556

Funny this thread came up. I'm changing a water pump today and bought some antifreeze, got home and realized I bought the 50/50 shit. Great. Now I'm that idiot

15. 38standard

38standard
    from il.

2 liter bottle of soda is cheaper than 1 liter, convenience

16. dragsta

dragsta
    BANNED

another excellent reason NOT to buy a new, over-priced POS!

17. dragsta

dragsta
    BANNED

it's easy ta dew... they don't like to advertise the fact that they are ripping us off.

18. Heartbeathotrod

Heartbeathotrod

I don't buy distilled water; I just keep a bucket under the rain spout.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    Back in my day we bought windshield washer solvent (and it was a new thing) in a metal pint bottle that you needed a "church key" to open.<o:p></o:p>
    We dumped it in the douche bag and added 3 cans of water.<o:p></o:p>
    Most folks had trouble figuring out that 3 to 1 meant just that. <o:p></o:p>

19. Dan Timberlake

Dan Timberlake

I friend bough some store brand premix stuff to put in the trunk. It was a couple bux less than the gallon of full strength stuff. After hearing that a co-worker had pretty filled an old tractor with 50/50 but had the final coolant test above freezing, we tested the new jug before used. my old antifreeze tester said the freeze point was something like +15 > 20F. A replacement jug was not much better. Sounds like the 50/50 may not be quite "accurate."

20. RichG

RichG

...and let's not forget "quilted" toilet paper: just add air! (30% less paper is what I was told when I toured a papermill!

21. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

But they use de-ionized water!;)

22. Whipped butter/oleo.

23. FoxSpeed

FoxSpeed
    from NorCal

I like the "genuine imitation leather" seat covers at Wal Mart.

24. 32Auburn

32Auburn
    from Oregon

Maybe they're marketing to women who just took a do your own auto maintenance class, flame away girls!

25. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

----------------------
    They pay way more than that even for
    little plastic bottles of the same drinking
    water they can get from their own tap at
    home.....for free! Years ago when I was
    driving truck, I hauled a load of Pepsi-owned
    "Aberfoyle Springs" brand bottled water
    1300-plus miles from Guelph Ontario, all
    the way to Houston Texas. After I delivered
    the load to the local Houston-area Pepsi
    distributor's warehouse, I stopped at a
    nearby convenience store and in the cooler
    in the back they had 'special' (woo hoo!)
    "Imported from Canada!" 'Aberfoyle Springs'
    bottled water for $1.25 a bottle ...and in the
    cooler next to it, local Texas-made "Lone Star"
    beer in the same size, on sale for a buck a
    can!!!

Mart3406
    ==========================

Last edited: May 28, 2011
  26. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

I think maybe its for the drunken people out there 50 / 50 isnt as lethal as 100 percent Im sure its just for the lazy people

27. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

----------------
    That's a shame and bad for the human
    gene pool if it's only 50% as lethal!:eek::D

Maert3406
    ============================

28. ems customer service

ems customer service

laugh, don't forget they guy with the " pet rock" made millions selling to idiots

29. Ned_Gob

Ned_Gob

Test with a hydrometer are they the same ? maybe thats why they are the same price and it's all marketing ?

30. FoxSpeed

FoxSpeed
    from NorCal