Register now to get rid of these ads!

How not to mount an engine...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Blacktop Graffiti, May 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sanfordsotherson

sanfordsotherson
    from So. Cal.

It's obvious. He was trying to collect life insurance on his father-in-law.

2. coupe33

coupe33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I did some bad work when I started and kept on trying until it looked right and solid. I have also set up temporary mounting points to get the angles and changed it after but I would never expect that to hold except for a mock up. Very poor welds.

3. It must be an automatic then? The factory cast iron bellhousings were strong enough to survive a nuclear blast, when the shit comes down all that'll be left is those and cockroaches!

Bob

4. Mart

Mart

They look like what you might tack in place to hold the motor while you make the motor mounts proper.
    Just didn't get to the next step.

5. Joe T Creep

Joe T Creep
    Member Emeritus

Come on give him some credit. At least its not a piece of galvanized threaded tube for a steering componant. :-(

Scary.

6. Well far out man. Now twist us up another one.

B G,
    At least the old truck has a new found friend. one that is going to make it right.

7. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

personally, i would have run some chain under the oil pan and welded it to the shock towers. :D

8. Blacktop Graffiti

Blacktop Graffiti

This sadly was one of his better ideas.

I posted this because I couldn't believe what I saw. I would have helped him do it better but he couldn't be bothered because he already knew everything. He let his kids ride in this and they drove it hard.

Again the guy who owns the truck is a very cool guy that would do anything for you and he got taken by this idiot. So I'm doing my best to make it safe so his grandkids can cruise with him. And not get killed!

He also grounded his wiring to fiberglass. And some of the lights work!

9. bmfcustoms

bmfcustoms

Going for that "rat rod" look? Lol

10. I know I've told this story before, but your post reminds me of a car my dad told me about. He had a buddy who used to street race a Lasalle with an Olds engine. Every time the buddy would shift, the car would heel over to one side.

Years later, they were talking about their racing days and the Lasalle came up. "Oh, I never finished the installation beyond the trans mounts, so I put a 4x4 across the frame the under oil pan and tied the board in place" :eek:

11. heywacha

heywacha
    from Orange, CA

If thats what he used for motor mounts, I wonder what he used for alternator brackets?!?!

12. Blacktop Graffiti

Blacktop Graffiti

Don't worry the engine was run through the Autozone store. It has all the 'neat' trinkets.

13. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

Finalòly someone that dares to say the truth! Fuckin nazi system that is.
    I live in a country where any mod in a ny car is illegal, and we all risk inpound by divin our cars, but having rules as strict as NZ means only engineers will pass the test, so good bye back yard builds and/or backyard engineering. Fuck IT!

Oh my! really i have nothin to say.
    is this is other car? ahah

Attached Files:

• POS.JPG
      POS.JPG
      File size:
      77.8 KB
      Views:
    • pos2.JPG
      pos2.JPG
      File size:
      102.7 KB
      Views:
  14. wow..... that is spectacular lol

15. Holy crap! I would go through that truck really carefully and check everything because that is a clue to his ability to engineer anything.

I ignored some of the clues on my '58 and only recently discovered a serious safety situation (nothing as bad as those motor mounts though). I had noticed that the previous owner really loved lag bolts and sheet metal screws (and wire nuts and PVC pipe) but you could tell that my truck had looked pretty good at one time and the engineering on the drivetrain looked okay.

In the interior he had installed a pair of bucket seats, he built a console, and even had seat belts. After driving it for a couple of years, I tore the interior out to discover that the seats were bolted to wood 2x4s which were lag bolted to the floor. Oh yeah, the seat belts were lag bolted to the 2x4s too. Gas tank straps...lag bolted to the floor. Damn!

16. Don Lyon

Don Lyon

Ah, necessity..... the mother of invention!!

17. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Bungee cords are too stretchy, I'd use rope.

18. gassermadman

gassermadman
    from Glendale

WELDS! Man, I have done this when i first starting welding, It is very important to grind the parts and frame or mounting area very good and make sure it is clean for a good solid weld. Making sure your welds are smooth and solid. Besides that good luck looks good.

19. ricktard

ricktard
    from spokane

20. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Oh come on. What a steaming pile of sanctimonious bullshit. Most of the guys I see doing stuff like this have been doing that way for decades, and arent the slightest bit interested in learning how to do it properly. Cutting the "mount" too short, and throwing a bolt in as a spacer?? Thats not lack of experience, thats "dont give a flying fuck", and theres no fixing that, its a philosophy, not a lack of skill/experience.

21. I agree sir!

Wasn't there a thread on hear where guys were using V belts to lift engines? If he had suspended it by a couple of V belts, it would have dampened the vibrations. :D

Last edited: May 24, 2011
  22. grovedawg

grovedawg
    from Heber, UT

I just turn my welder on and pull the trigger. It's worked thus far! ;)

23. grovedawg

grovedawg
    from Heber, UT

Start a thread and ask for ideas. Or start following some of the amazing peoples build threads here and you'll see EXACTLY how to do it!

That's why the HAMB IS SO INVALUABLE. I've been at points in my build and had no idea the correct way to go about it, and have asked for help. Everyone here will chime in immediately on what they've learned, what to look for and how to avoid the same mistakes they've made.

Be patient with us if every once in a while we want to criticize some crappy craftsmanship. It's poor work that has given hot rodders a "fringe / bad-rap / crappy-rat-rod" reputation.

24. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

um.... was this a level of sarcasm i'm not familiar with or for real?

25. Blacktop Graffiti

Blacktop Graffiti

Ok here is the gas tank and the killer mounting system.. The cool thing about it is that the way it's built there is always about five gallons or so that won't pick up. And also a pic of the truck. It's pretty solid and the owner is very cool guy.

Attached Files:

26. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

That's terrible! I always use several wraps of plumbers tape to hold my motors in place...

27. silentpoet

silentpoet
    from NWA

Ain't nothing you can't fix with duct tape, might want to go the extra mile if you are really safety conscious and use bailing wire.

28. MXrider13

MXrider13
    from Florida

I never even worked with Engine mounts before and I know that doesn't look right or safe!

29. Chuckles Garage

Chuckles Garage
    Alliance Vendor

I raise your wood and nails with styrofoam and elmers glue.

30. zArlen

zArlen

Yeah I think I missed something there too :rolleyes:.

But seriously, there's a bad weld and then there's... that. That my friends is just plain ugly. The sad part is that we've all seen work that bad over and over again. YUCK!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.