Register now to get rid of these ads!

1951 Nash Rambler Build Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by D_Lazaris, Oct 11, 2010.

1. Richard/SIA

Richard/SIA
    from No. Nevada

A good canister type will flow far more than those tiny little paper filters.
    The Jags were 3.8 and 4.2 liter multi carb engines.

If more flow is needed, add a few louvers.

2. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

I have not used a McCulloch blower yet but plan to. I don't think the fan belt that you have it hook up to will work, or last. I thought they came with a wider and stronger belt. Not sure but just a passing thought.

Good luck with the build. I almost bought a Nash last year but the seller backed out. Always liked the unique styling.

Neal

3. D_Lazaris

D_Lazaris
    from So. Cal

Ah ok sounds good.
    Thanks!

4. D_Lazaris

D_Lazaris
    from So. Cal

Yeah I know that belt won't work. That's the original belt, it's only there to make sure everything lines up.

The supercharger needs a larger belt, so it can work in high boost mode. The supercharger pulley actually expands larger essentially changing the ratio.

Bummer bout the Nash, hopefully next time around it will work out! Wish I would see more of them on the road!

5. D_Lazaris

D_Lazaris
    from So. Cal

Well got a lot done on the engine compartment!!!

Spent the last few days prepping, grinding, sanding, and welding to get ready for paint!

It was so rewarding when I got the primer on tonight! It just looks so good one nice clean color!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This mug shot says it all...

[​IMG]

I'm planning on painting the compartment the 51' Nash cream factory color I think it will compliment the engine colors very nice, and the reds will pop!!

But before I do any of that I will spend the next few days prepping some more, sanding till it's real smooooooth!!!!!

Also mocking the engine in there checking for clearance and measure for headers.

6. D_Lazaris

D_Lazaris
    from So. Cal

Engine is in the car! Well just for now.

We will build the rest of the engine in the car, until we are ready for paint.

Just as I thought there is room to spare in the little nash engine compartment even with the supercharger!!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. -Brent-

-Brent-

It fits well in the compartment. I like it a lot. This is a neat build.

8. D_Lazaris

D_Lazaris
    from So. Cal

Thanks!

9. D_Lazaris

D_Lazaris
    from So. Cal

Well started to redo the plumbing for the supercharger.

I was looking at old pics of what people did with plumbing for multi carb applications.

I found this pic which they said was pretty efficient.

[​IMG]

So this is what we did (it's not finished)

Also I will be building a 90* pipe bend on top of the carbs and connect it with the hoses shown.

We shall see...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

lookin good,fits just rite:)

11. Ed Zackley

Ed Zackley
    from Hokeyhomey

Ah yes, the Ramblero. Very rare. Is that the factory Egyptian motif?

12. Wow, Really cool project.

13. Grommet

Grommet
    from South GA

Awesome build and dig the rail
    Grommet

14. farna

farna

I don't know if I'd say "room to spare" under the hood, but you do have enough room... looks more like "just fits" to me! Should work nicely. You might try a bit less than 90° on the carb hats. I see you found your Carter YFs. DO make sure the jets are the same size! I had two identical looking carbs and ran them, only to burn a hole in a piston. One of them had a high altitude jet in it!!

15. electromet

electromet
    from Tucson, AZ

Is there any way you can rotate your air filter assembly so that it is closer to vertical? If so, you'll gain a little more clearance to the inner fenderwell (looks a little tight to me), and perhaps you'll be able to use a slightly larger diameter filter for more flow. Another option might be to use a remotely mounted air filter assembly (maybe that Jag filter mentioned earlier). There seems to be enough room under the hood for a number of different options. As far as the plumbing from the blower to the carbs, have you considered welding up a single plenum box from sheet material? You'd only need one feed hose from the blower to the plenum that could be very straight, and let the plenum bend the air into the carbs. Just my $.02.

Keep up the good work. You're doing a great job!:D

Mike

16. D_Lazaris

D_Lazaris
    from So. Cal

I'll do some more thinking on the carb hats, still not sure if I am making an air box, or the bonnets...

Also I have looked into carb rebuilds (mainly to get matching jets) and so far the only place I have found was from the carburetor shop. Talked to them, and sounds pretty good.

Are there any more companies I can get rebuilds from? Just want to shop around a little.

17. D_Lazaris

D_Lazaris
    from So. Cal

Yeah I am looking into a remote filter like the jag filter. I can also rotate the housing of the supercharger if I have to.

And yeah, I am considering a box still... trying to see what would work best, and what I can do with what money I have :p

Thanks for the support!!

18. farna

farna

The Carb Shop is well recommended. Make sure you tell them you're running duals and need the same jet size. If you order for the same year/model you should get the same size though... but check! On a fresh rebuild you can pull the top and check yourself.

For the pressure you're running a box may not be necessary. I think I'd try it just the way you have it set up first, then build a pressurized box if the carbs don't like it. With 5-6 psi I think you'll be okay. The air filter really looks fine. I don't think there's going to be too much restriction for the demands of the small six with modest boost.

19. D_Lazaris

D_Lazaris
    from So. Cal

I started with the 90* bends, just need to securely attach them and make sure they are air tight

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. electromet

electromet
    from Tucson, AZ

I like where this is going so far.

Rather than using the PVC which is quite rigid and prone to heat, vibration, etc., have you considered a pre-bent silicone tubing as used by the ricers for cold air intakes? The FLAPS around here usually have some pieces in stock. That way you could just use stainless clamps to hold everything together.

Mike

21. D_Lazaris

D_Lazaris
    from So. Cal

My buddy is into tuners and he knows some people that do plumbing for the turbochargers. I guess there is a guy down the street from me that does it from his garage... Hmmm

So if what I'm doing doesn't work at all, I may have to job it out..

It would sure be nice to have it all done in aluminum though!

22. jrwynes

jrwynes
    from republic

Sounds very cool! I'm building a 64 Rambler American Wagon & wanting to put a turbo on the 195 c.i. inline 6. The supercharger is an awesome idea! Good luck with the build & keep posting the pics.

23. D_Lazaris

D_Lazaris
    from So. Cal

I love those wagons! Good luck with your build, let us know how it works out!

Thanks for enjoying the build! It's been a blast since it's so different!

I haven't had time to work on it this week though hopefully next week, we have a race on Sunday and we are getting our flathead dragster ready...

So hopefully next week I can move forward at full throttle with the Nash!

24. D_Lazaris

D_Lazaris
    from So. Cal

Alright!

Well now that the races are over and the dragster is put away its time to start back on the Nash!

Not much done today though..

Pulled the engine out of the car and began painting. Started with all the black on the bottom.

Also pulled the master cylinder out and rebuilt it.

Tomorrow morning I am going to start the paint for the compartment!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

25. Dave K

Dave K

Do you have a header for it? Are you planning triple exhaust?

My dad has a Nash was wondering what it available or can be fabricated for a header.

Thanks

26. D_Lazaris

D_Lazaris
    from So. Cal

Headers have been made but are pretty rare.

I am going to fabricate my own headers for the project. I personally have never seen any for sale though

27. D_Lazaris

D_Lazaris
    from So. Cal

Just painted the engine compartment!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

28. D_Lazaris

D_Lazaris
    from So. Cal

Heres some pics with it now dry.

It came out a little more yellow then I thought it was going to be, but I love it!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

29. D_Lazaris

D_Lazaris
    from So. Cal

Heres some pics with the fenders mocked on the car

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

30. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv