Register now to get rid of these ads!

Belt idler pulley

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by unkamort, May 13, 2011.

1. unkamort

unkamort

I'm trying to create something that did not exist in nature. What I need is a fan belt idler pulley (1/2" wide at the top of the V) and bearing assembly. The adjustment slot in the bracket I came up with is 3/8" wide, so the support bolt/shaft size is limited. 3" pulley diameter would work. I just got back from the local Bearing Agency... the only thing he could come up with was a standard pulley which I would have to machine to accept bearings. This is beyond my meager capability here at home. Looking for suggestions and/or advice.

2. medicinal_marinara

medicinal_marinara
    from Oregon

3. Older AC cars had an idler. Some were V belt some were back side idlers. They use a standard alternator bearing. I have one on that car you see to stop belt whip on the ac belt.

Last edited: May 13, 2011
  4. garyf

garyf

chrysler products used them-318 a/c- dodge magnum,mirada,cordoba- era

5. Bobert

Bobert
    Member Emeritus

You might want to look at early Olds like 303". They have an idler for the belt from the crank to water pump pulley.

6. J Twitero

J Twitero
    from Minnesota

I had a '66 IH pickup with a 266 that had a spring loaded idler on the v-belt.

7. 1/2" wide? are you using an A belt?

8. unkamort

unkamort

If I ever really knew what the code was for fan belts was its long gone now. I thought I might run the water pump direct drive from the crank... but after 5 trips to the parts store for a belt that would work it became ovious some adjust-ability needed to be built in. That being said the belt that fits the pump pulley is a "9" series width, which is the 1st digit of the part#, followed by a 3 digit length code. That was gates and goodyear. I didn't understand the top dimension they were looking for on the McmasterCarr page (Thanks medicinal !). I have a standard application, but the PS has been deleted, and that was the adjustment point on that belt.

9. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Just go to the wrecking yard and find an old Toyota with the 22R 4 cyl. engine. They've got a idler pulley that's already got an adjuster on it. The whole thing might be $10.

10. unkamort

unkamort

Yep... sounds like bone yard time. Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll just have to prowl around and see what I find.

11. cbillelder

cbillelder

For a backside idler pulley, I've used the one for the timing belt for the 2.3 Ford 4 cylinder motors. The pulley is flat on the diameter, but is about 1" wide, so there shouldn't be a problem with the belt slipping off the edge if positioned correctly.

12. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

I've got an idler pulley on my 291 Desoto and it works fine but I'm trying to come up with something to use as a replacement should the time come.. suddenly!
    So far, I ordered from Advance an idler pulley for a 1989 Ford pkp with A/C. The pulley looks to be the same diameter as the stock pulley on the Desoto. They also sell the pulley with the idler mount, too but I was too cheap to buy that! I'm hoping to come up with a bolt that will bolt the new pulley in place of the old one. I hope this helps you at least get a starting point. Good luck. Al