Register now to get rid of these ads!

Mystery Carb..Stormberg -holley 97/94 hybrid?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lowsquire, Aug 19, 2010.

1. lowsquire

lowsquire
    from Austin, TX

Got me stumped..

top entry fuel inlet like a 94, but angled main jet fitment from under the bowl like a 97.standard 3 bolt flange...Made in USA stamped on the bowl, no other markings at all.

anyone know what it is?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. 1952henry

1952henry

That's easy! Tis one o' dem Stromberg 94s!! I hadn't ever seen one before, just kept seeing Stromberg 94 in the titles of carbs for sale on ebay. Now, I can put a carb to the name. Seriously, I have no clue!

3. The37Kid

The37Kid

4. 1952henry

1952henry

Not from the flathead or early Y-block era.

5. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

maybe its a generic replacement carb? I hear tell you could order them back in the day if you needed a new carburator

stillrunners likes this.
  6. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

agreed.

7. lowsquire

lowsquire
    from Austin, TX

yeh that would be my guess too, replacement generic carb, but some more info would be great..anyone else got one? ordering a rebuild kit could be difficult! the gasket shapes for the top and base mounting surfaces are different., as is the accelerator pump setup. Lord knows what else inside!

It came from a guy who is into flathead powered military stuff, but he thinks it came on a car motor he bought years back.

??

8. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

could be a military carb from ww2. you can make your own gaskets with gasket material and some time.

9. Maybe it's like a Tillotson or something. Their replacement carbs used to sell cheaper than a rebuild kit for the original would.

stillrunners likes this.
  10. bob308

bob308

you have found one!!!! those rare carbs that came out in the 50's that got 50 mpg and the oil companies bought it and locked it away.

it was 50 miles per gallon

Last edited: Aug 19, 2010
  11. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

--------------------------------------
    "50 mph"?? Fifty 'miles per hour'??!! :D Ha!
    I guess we need to thank the oil companies
    for saving us from it then! Because,. if you
    could only get up to 50 mph with it, it should
    have been locked away.....and then had the
    key destroyed too!!!! LOL :D:D

Mart3406
    =========================

12. 1952henry

1952henry

It looks like it could fit a Ford, but would have to be pre '52 since it has a ball on the choke lever, not a cable swivel. If I'm not mistaken Lafayette, and others, used a 3 bolt carb, could be a replacement for the Stromberg EE1 that was original.

Bruce Lancaster would know better than I, but I think the WW2 Ford V8s used the Holley 21-29. The militarized '42-44 Ford trucks had six cylinders.

13. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

It is clearly made for use on a Ford, but is not anything Ford supplied. It is a replacement aftermarket something...I have seen a few, including Tillotsons, but never saw anything interesting enough to stick in my mind!
    There were a number of funny carbs on British military flatheads, but I think all used enrichment devices and not a choke valve. They would be just as unlikely in Australia as here, since you guys were supplied by Ford Canada with conventional Ford carbed stuff.
    I would suspect this is American in origin, simply because of market size and the amount of Ford-specific tooling on this thing.
    Carb King has probably seen one of everything out there...

14. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Canadian military...they went to war in '39 with stuff of that period, but seemingly changed models like USA rather than cranking out 1939 stuff for 6 years. I've seen apparently Canadian 1941 desert woodies pictured chasing Rommel, and their engine line was upgraded to 21A/29A 1942 type during the war. Ford England was much smaller as well as farther away than Ford Canada so I doubt their stuff made it over there much.
    Australian Military pulled out of the African war after Pearl Harbor/Singapore, and went home to work in the Pacific and defend home base.

15. carbking

carbking

It is a Marvel-Schebler model NNF part number 10-3300 (although it may have been marketed under other brands as well....see below.

This is an update of the earlier Rayfield model N.

Borg/Warner purchased several of the lessor carburetor companies in the late 1920's~early 1930's to include Johnson, Marvel, Rayfield, Schebler, Tillotson and others. Some of the Rayfield designs had no permanent markings other than made in the USA. Many of these had an oval depression on the side of the bowl where a decal was placed. These were sold under brand names Johnson, Rayfield, and Marvel/Schebler. Later carbs eliminated the oval depression (too expensive) and just the decal identified the carb. Of course the decal didn't last long.

I do have the Marvel/Schebler catalogue describing this unit.

Jon.

ottoman and stillrunners like this.
  16. Hot Rod Michelle

Hot Rod Michelle

That's one of those Stromberg 97 version 2.0 with the updated RAM capabilities, more storage capacity, and a better GUI.

Na, I have no clue.

17. R Pope

R Pope

Not Canadian Ford Army truck, got lots of them. They used 94's. Could be a Bren gun carrier carb, they had a weird setup on them. Never seen one, they mostly got 94's swapped on since WWII.
    It does have a general Tillitson vibe about it...?

18. carbking

carbking

Marvel Schebler:

[​IMG]

Jon.

19. drifters cc

drifters cc

Hey
    I just bumped my " Mystery carb" thread from back in March. SAME CARB! I guess better late than never.
    I guess Carbking is the carbking after all.

Marvel Schebler/ really?
    "Oh yeh it's a Marvel Schebler, it's the only carb i'll run"

20. lowsquire

lowsquire
    from Austin, TX

Cool! Thanks Carbking, Bruce and others..

it did have a decal on the opposite side to the made in USA, but only fragments left.

This place is way better than Google. :)

21. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Rumor has it that Carb King has carburetors from other planets in his vaults...

22. carbking

carbking

We had one ordered from one of the original gasoline powered Klingon mother ships that crashed in New Mexico; but it was packed in di-lithium sulphide crystals, and was badly pitted by the time we received it. ;)

Jon.

23. flatoz

flatoz

I got a brother to that Ben, obviously were both warped enough that a 3 bolt base carb that isn't a stromberg or Holley but we know will bolt on is of interest to us...

I bought mine at a swap guy told me he pulled it off and olds?

warped , or we need institutionalization.

24. [​IMG]
    AND THAT MAKES THREE

25. lowsquire

lowsquire
    from Austin, TX

Thats hilarious! And ryan, I have one of those DANGER Tags too!
    Well if anyone wants a triple setup of these beasts..you've got a few phonecalls and some fast talkin to do..

26. Were some of these carbs sold to other outfits for resale? I have one with the oval depression, not a Ford type carb but a 1-bbl 2-bolter, and I saw another one just like it at one of the fall swaps but the decal was intact - and it read Allstate on it, presumably sold by Sears(?) -

27. carbking

carbking

Probably, Western Auto sold them. Sears certainly could have.

Jon.

28. Hi all,

I have an occasional search of the net to see if any info on the Marvel Schebler 10-3300 carburetors comes up and found this thread!

This pair have been running since December 2008. I have a third as a spare! The spring on the enrichment needles has been replaced with lighter ones to use them as a twin setup and choke gear removed.

9 Flattie returned.JPG

Thomas Pitschinski likes this.
  29. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

And..someone mentioned Bren carrier carbs. British built carriers had 1937 type engines and use a British one-barrel carb on an adaptor over a normal Ford manifold...Lord knows why.
    Australian ones had 99 or 29 Merc engines with normal Ford carbs...these were also built in Australia from Canadian mechanicals. Have a manual for those.
    There were USA Ford carriers as well, with different designation and lots of differences from the Canadian models, and I think lots of Ford USA Merc engines also went into Canadian vehicles.
    See the extra boss on bellhousing of some 29 engines and on 59 blocks, right by the oil ports?? Those were drilled to take the Canadian oil coolers and full flow filter setups, and the casting was not changed there after the war.

30. Bruce,

An off track question, but my father and many other Australians call these motors "Mercs". I always wondered why, when most of the engines I have seen localy came from Blitz Wagons and other WWII surplus, they are mostly Canadian 59a style motors. The engine I have has a divers helmet distributor and measured 239ci. I'm told that it is about a 42 model due to the freeze plugs in the pan rails. I'm unsure of this advice as most of the information is regarding American engines, especially since there are some significant differences with the Canadian engines!

So are early 59a Canadian engines classified as Mercury engines?