Register now to get rid of these ads!

Would you box the frame? '29 Dubble A build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Goztrider, May 6, 2011.

1. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

Okay... Its just about ready to go back out into the shop and hopefully become a runner and driver before the end of summer. However, I have been kicking it around and I'm not sure whether or not I should box the frame.

It's a '29 Model AA frame (Dubble AA) that has the stock '29 axle with '46 F1 spindles and will have a disc brake conversion on it. The rear is a Ford 9" out of a mid '70s pickup, using the original frame mount brakets - I salvaged them from the donor by cutting the rivets off the frame - then pinching the springs at the front allowing everything to be bolted to the frame. In the process, I shortened the wheelbase about 12-14", and now the rear springs are attached to the narrowed section of the rear frame - where is tapers to about 2" veritcally - and a 3/8" angle bracket to attach the lower section of the braket.

The frame runs from a narrow stock type A frame front, gradually widening to about 6" in front of the cab and through the mid section of the frame, and then tapers down to about 2-2 1/2" at the rear section. I do eventually intend to place 3/8" thick piece of steel in the center of the rear frame rails that was given to me and has a lazer cut Ford script in it. I figure I'll back it with a brake/tail light, and the fact that it has a cut out for a receiver hitch will make it kind of cool too.

I plan to run an '89 basically stock 350 with a 700R4, single quad tunnel ram and possibly even a very mild - possibly an RV type - cam. Nothing radical, as I plan for it to be a 10-11month out of the year daily driver, being only not driven when the weather is at its worst.

So, knowing this, I ask you - the knowledge gods - should I box the frame? I'd rather not, but I defer to those who know more than I do.

2. I do not believe you will need to box the frame.

3. NINE INCH

NINE INCH

BlueBear says... "Don't box my frame, Boyd !!!"

4. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

You have plenty of frame, more than most pickups that come with diesel engines. Boxing it will just add weight.

5. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

3 votes for no... anyone else care to join in?

6. badshifter

badshifter

Senior kicks the door in and yells "junior don't box the frame, I'm sick of this crap"
    Junior replies "fine I won't then, besides Vinny does all my work for me"
    Vinny says "I think he meant I won't box the frame for him"
    Mikey stands silently looking retarded and says "why would you want to fight a frame?"

7. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

Waaaaay in the back... damn this place moves fast.

Bump for the AM crowd.

8. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

225 people look and only 4 respond? Surely thought there'd be more interaction on this one - especially since there's a serious question involved.

None of the 'legends' of the HAMB respond? No controversy? Nothing but crickets here?

Wow....

9. RichG

RichG

I can't imagine you'd have to box a truck frame, they're pretty stout... but I'm no legend so who knows?:confused:

10. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Maybe box it just forward of the trans member..good enough

11. lol just watched that ep again yesterday. i think he shoulda did what the allmighty boyd said cos nobody ever built a hotrod before him and theres only one way to build one:rolleyes:. besides id rather have my frame snap in half and kill me than be seen riding in that butt ugly t that he built.:D

12. dudley32

dudley32

I think I'd do the front..not that big a deal..just a little welding..so 1/2 vote...

13. REM/Mo

REM/Mo
    from Missouri

No way it needs boxed.
    It is almost too stiff to start with for a light car.

I did one and it has almost no twist.
    I shortened the rear to fit an A body and sectioned the rear part of the side rails to make it look better.

<center>
    [​IMG]
    <br/><br/>
    </center>
    <center>
    [​IMG]
    <br/><br/>
    </center>

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  14. echnidna

echnidna
    from Australia

Maybe you need to sit the 350 in the frame and jack each corner in turn so you can measure the frame flex.

15. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

I would box it around the front suspension components and maybe a bit at the critical spots in the rear. It can be done nice and better safe than sorry. Not a full box.

16. Funny I should be reading this now. I just was oout to Gibbon today and Dwight Bond is doing the exact thing, except for a 32 PU 350 700r4. If memory serves me right even AA has a killer frame. I see absolutely no need to box any where. That frame is hell for stout all around. My vote is a NO!!!

17. RichG

RichG

My money is on a measurement of 0.

18. willys_truck

willys_truck

no need to box a big truck frame

19. ironfly28

ironfly28
    from Orange, CA

It needs a little flex. don't box it..unless you're running some 4,000 hp motor in it.

20. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

I'm hearing you guys... here's the link to the original build thread. I'll add to it as soon as I can get rolling (pun intended) on this project again. Schools just about out for summer - just 5 more days for us!

Anyway, here's the link: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=179243&highlight=Dubble+A

I figure it shows what I've done so far pretty well, and shows the frame decently.