Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Bench or Bomber seats ??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Blue One, Mar 22, 2011.

1. Office chairs were pretty darn comfortable for twenty plus thousand miles... I never was able to sit in the bomber seats longer than a quarter mile at a time and I was too busy to find out how comfortable!

2. Second that wisdom! Well played.

3. 392HEMI4SPEED

392HEMI4SPEED
    from Wisconsin

I agree, you can sit on the couch when you get home.

Comfort is important, but a lot of it depends on the style of your build. Some cars just would not look right with bombers. I think both look great when the right theme is there.

4. Is there a seat frame that can be adapted to a Caravan middle bench to make it slightly adjustable? Even though these cards are quite small inside, it still might be nice to having a sliding track for shorter people.

5. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I think I am going to mount mine solid and forget about any sliding. I decided to keep my narrowed bench as it really is quite comfortable.

I'm going to mount it basically right on the floor, as low as possible. There will be a small amount of space under it from the tubing frame of the base.

That will allow the spring base of the seat to work. The height of the foam will be how high I'll be sitting.

Sitting down that low and far back gives me almost perfect positioning in the 4" stretched bucket and the comfort will be welcome on a long road trip.

No smaller drivers will be driving it :)

6. gasser300

gasser300
    from Ft Worth

I have a dodge minivan center seat and it is heavily sprung. I love it

Attached Files:

• seat.jpg
      seat.jpg
      File size:
      227.6 KB
      Views:
  7. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

I started with a Chrysler minivan rear seat and narrowed it 5-1/2". In the photo below it is sitting on the subrails I fabricated with 1"x2" tubing and I have a piece of angle under the front of the seat to lean it back slightly, for mock-up.

Blue One, I'm thinking along the same lines as you --- I want to sit fairly low in the car. Part of the reason is to stay out of the wind, since my windshield is low.
    I am also not planning on using adjustable tracks, but will most likely make slotted holes where the seat frame mounts to the subrail crossmembers for adjustability. There will be four bolts holding it in, accessible under the car.

As I get this fabricated/installed, I'll post more photos.

[​IMG]

Malcolm

8. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Here's a shot before I set the seat in place. There's still quite a bit of work to be done before building a permanent seat mount structure. I need to build/install the driveshaft to ensure proper clearance and will probably have to build a slight tunnel under the back part of the seat, as well as rework the cross-tube that the mufflers are hanging off of.

[​IMG]

9. Nice seat Malcom, looks great.

10. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

If I had that bench in my 27 Modified I would keep it. I know it would be more comfortable then bombers

11. duck279

duck279
    from SC

I think the bench is more comfortable but the bombers look better.

12. ROBERT JAM

ROBERT JAM

Bench thats the the way!!

13. ratrod34

ratrod34

Hey all!! being tight on cash I built my own bomber type bench seat. i had an old aluminum stock car seat. cut it in half from top to bottom. cut some plywood for a bottom and back bolted it together. and it looks cool . cost? nothing. for right now ill use a trusty mexican blanket.but later ill use the red metalflake zodiac. just thought id pass that on.

14. harleycontracter

harleycontracter

15. pila38

pila38

The bombers are nice. But...you have the bench and once its upholstered it'll look right and be comfy.

16. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Old thread, I decided the bench was never going to be low enough so I bought a pair of bomber seats from Frank Wallic. They are very nice and will sit low enough.

Pics on my build thread.

17. silent rick

silent rick

everybody talks up the mini van seats. i think they were designed for seven year olds. they are already used when you end up with them and put a few thousand miles of adult ass in them and they can end being uncomfortable and unsupportive. i like what you ended up with.

18. I realize this is a older thread but my take on the bench verses bomber seat has a lot to do with the style your looking for and of course the size of the gluteus maximus that will be doing time in that seat.

Have rode in a coupe with bomber seats as a passenger a big guy like me at 6'4" and 235lbs was very uncomfortable,it would be murder to do 500 miles.

I had a bench seat in my roadster,I have one in my pickup and my sedan. HRP

19. guitard

guitard

I'd say make mounts and run both interchangeably. Bombers for local shows and bench for trips. The bench puts you up a little more in the wind, but hey - that's what the goggles & scarf are for!

20. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Just remember "no cheese".

21. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

:D On cheeseburgers or pizza only :D