Register now to get rid of these ads!

The DO NOT TOUCH!!! Guy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by felix37, Apr 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

I'm with Hombres on this one.
    If you respect me and my property I will have no problem with you or your kids or what ever. Communicate with me and ask and hey, not a problem. Act like you own me and my shit and I have no right to anything nice and you are going to get a conflicting view point. As far as signs, most people who would f$ck with someone elses property just to be a d&ck can't read any way. So why put a sign. And I would be the guy who tells someone to walk away from your car too if he is being disrespectful to you and your property. The whole premise here is that these people that a sign may be intended for are not of us for us or by us, they are just jealous and full of hate. While a sign is over the top, you all have the right to have nice stuff. If you are a terd, please keep floating by.

2. kerfball

kerfball
    from ohio

had some fat hog set her Coke on the hood of my Moms vette while she fired up a cigarette. I grabbed it, poured it out and throw it in the trash can.

3. thesupersized

thesupersized

when i was younger i got yelled at for walking passed some guys 80s cadillac with a soda can in my hand. what a gem...

4. coolcorvette

coolcorvette

don't touch my car it might fall apart

5. When my boys were young we used to bring their friends with to shows. I always told them before we got there that there were only two rules at car shows. Number 1 was "do not touch the cars" and number 2 was " no crying after the owner breaks your fingers after you touch his car". Never had any trouble.

6. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Another lively thread with no chance of resolution. Guys that don't know cars for some reason like to touch them with their hands. Anyone that has spent hours buffing out a car will never touch another guy's paint with their bare hands.

Signs are for keeping idiots away.

7. this sure is making my day better! all shows are different and so are the people.

8. dmikulec

dmikulec

If I was gonna make up a sign, it would say something like... you fondle my car, I get to fondle your wife. :cool:

9. Fiddytree

Fiddytree
    from Durango

Who said "there are potholes on both sides of the street" - I owe you a quarter.

I don't like people touching my stuff (and don't anymore) but if I see a kid drooling with respect I ask him to climb in and belt up!

10. Hot Rod Elvis

Hot Rod Elvis

As a matter of fact, I went to a cruise in yesterday, and I met a guy who owned a 58 Cadillac (all original) and after talking to him for a good 10 minutes or so about how I like the 50's and old cars, and racing...I went to get a picture of the front in. When I came back around, he said "Hey, I'll tell ya what, gimmie your camera and you get inside and I'll take your picture". So I was so excited, I was carefully shutting the door when he said "Don't baby it, it's a car!" So after he took a few pictures of me in the drivers seat, he gave my phone back and then explained some of the features it had like power windows and then let me roll it up. (The window motor was just about as fast as the window on our 2007 Ford)

11. gasser300

gasser300
    from Ft Worth

Same here man!

I had the only POS at the lil show i showed up late for saturday night. I didnt even look at another car.

12. Zookeeper

Zookeeper

This post sums up a very, very good point and several years ago I had a similar experience. I'm a huge vintage racing fan and in 2003 I went to Laguna Seca for the vintage races when they celebrated Ford's 100th anniversary. My 3 year old son and I were wandering the pits, looking at some really, really expensive cars. You think your '32 is high dollar? It wouldn't raise an eyebrow among million dollar Cobras. Anyway, as we were passing one pit area with a USRRC Cobra and a GT40 with the hood open, I stopped to get a picture of the killer small block in the GT40 and I noticed my young son getting a bit too close to it. The owner saw me ask my son to not touch the car, and he sat his lunch down, and came over to ask my son if he wanted to sit in the car! I about crapped my pants! I was sooooo ready to get the picture of a lifetime when a couple stalls down someone fired up a car with open headers, startling my son. The GT40 owner tried his best to get my son to sit in his car, but no dice. He didn't care that it was an irreplaceable piece of racing history, to him it was a chance to give a kid (and his Dad) a huge thrill. Yes, I realize there are some real inconsiderate asses in this world, but I think the decent people at shows or cruise nites outnumber them.

13. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

two way street.i don't mind them touching my cars as long as they have had their tetanus shots:D touching is one thing,coming up opening hood then slaming hood is another.for sale sign or not.but thats another thread.hell my el camino even had a "yes you can touch it" sign on it
    WRITTEN ON IT with a sharpie:D i have fun with my cars but i respect other folks cars. hell my 2 son are 21 and 26 years old,if they go with me to a show they STILL walk and look at cars with their hands behind their back.still. like the fat lady says just a little respect:cool:

Last edited: Apr 18, 2011
  14. South_paw

South_paw
    from America

Signs don't help... and it doesn't matter if it's a cruise night or a concourse event. There are boneheads in every crowd.

I had a older man get into my car while holding a glass of red wine at a high end event. That scared the shit out of me because the seats were fabric. I didn't want to startle the guy and have him spill the wine. So in a low voice I told him that he had to get of my car and hand over the wine glass before he did so. Once out the car I gave him hell. Later on in the day he came back and apologized.

Then there was the time this guy had to step on my rim so he could get a better look under the hood. :mad:

15. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Ihave a hand made sign for my64 fairlane T bolt type that says " Go ahead touch it, climb under it,lean over it. Thats why I built it, if I didn't want you to touch it I would have left it in the garage! The worst thing it gets are hand prints . It at least gets a few chuckles and humbles the DONT TOUCH CROWD.

16. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

It's as simple as this:

Wanna touch it? Better ask.

Come to think of it, that's my wife's rule I think. Nevermind.

17. Jerryinok

Jerryinok
    from Oklahoma

I can sympathize with you guys with high dollar paint jobs. I dont mind touching and will let you sit in it if you ask,but Ive had a kid grab my drivers mirror and try to do a pullup while using his feet to help him on my drivers door.Another time this a$$hole with his buddies reach and grab my throttle linkage and jack it pumping raw fuel down the intake.So yeah I think its ok to blow a gasket when its called for.

18. norton58

norton58

An anecdote related to me by a mate who's a huge drag-racing fan. A guy brings his son to the pits to check out a race car just as they're going out for a pass. The driver says, "hey, we'll be back in a little while, come back and I'll show you the car." Half hour later, the kid's being shown the car, the motor being torn down, the different tools, the works. Dad is mighty impressed and asks the driver, "what's the ultimate class of racing?" Driver replies, "top fuel". Dad says "well, I'm the CEO of XYZ Industries, and we're looking at sponsoring a race team. Your attitude towards fans is great. Will you drive our dragster for us?" And all because the driver took a bit of time out of his day for a kid.

Enough computer time, I'm going out to the workshop to exorcise the demon rust.

Life's too short for bollocks.

19. RayJarvis

RayJarvis

just my 2 cents but i usually paint my own cars so the paint aint so hot. hense, i dont mind the kids getting hands on. I do sympathize with a 10 g paint job however. rayj

20. Respect
    Whare does it start ? you watch your kid put his ice cream cone on the side and say nothing
    Had a chrome monster i built in the late 60's could not leave it any whare (i was a wreck)
    Started to build the truck in the aviator as a chrome monster
    Changed my mind i built it so i could drive it any whare mud hole what ever
    This truck has had more pitcures taken of it than any other car i have owned
    This has been more fun been leagly in the road since 1974
    was a rusty cab frame and rear axel out of Lovelock Nevada
    been in California Nevada Arazona New Mexico Texas Lousiana Mississippi Alabama Florida Tenesee Georgia hopfly some more states
    Please ask before you stand your kid on the truck i dont mind

Please be careful around my truck sompthing may fall off. i do not want you to get hurt

21. Now thats just too funny....good lookin' truck BTW...

22. KraQer

KraQer
    from Austin TX

Never in my life did i want to punch the dad out and punt the baby across the parking lot, when me and my wife came out of the store to find a man and his kid sitting in my old 53 chevy taking pics. Touch one of my cars?? Sure.... Set your poop filled baby on or in my car???? ASK FIRST!.....Help yourself to opening my door to get a better look inside, then have trouble closing it, so you slam and slam and slam it shut.....God help you if i see it!
    Its about respect and the "NOT" so common,,, Common sense. I dont need you Finger F*cking my car, im not responsible for your burns when you grab my damn headers.. and if you start showing symptoms of TETANUS, maybe you should of thought about it before running your fingers over my rust bucket...... One more thing,,, Last time i checked BONDO and FIBERGLASS dont rust,, so i dont need you to run your goddamn magnet up and down my Rusted 30's chevy pick up!!!
    Ive had all this happen, feels good to vent, i need to see THE HAMB counselor.

23. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

i beg to differ. my dad has them in the windows of his cars for the specific reason of having run into too many jackasses who feel the need to run their fingers/etc up and down and all over the car ruining a good paint job. i suppose those of you with "patina" don't really have to worry about someone putting one giant scratch down the side of your car.

to each their own but i know my father, as well as us, would much rather preserve the paint jobs we worked so hard to achieve rather than have idiots crawling all over the car with a complete lack of respect.

24. Ratticis

Ratticis

I think the biggest thing is RESPECT. If someone doesn't want you to touch their car, fine, don't. If you're not sure, ask. But always be respectful about it. Sure, it may just be "an old car", but maybe the owners dad bought that original condition '62 Ford brand new and passed it down to his son when he passed away.
    2008 the local car show here was the first one I went to since getting gimped, and was really the first time I went out in public in the wheelchair. Was also the first time I was still in the rehab hospital at the time and pretty much begged the Dr to let me go. Was also the first time in over a year that I went home. We put my truck on the trailer and went. That really broke my heart. During the course of the day I let various kids sit in it and take pics and ect ect, but I couldn't get in it. Was really driving me nuts. Then when I was looking around at some of the other rides, taking some pics, a guy with a really nice '68 Vette convertable asks if I wanna hop in and he'll take a pic. Well of course, I was worried about scratching the paint w/ the chair, but he said not to worry. I had to transfer in two parts b/c the door frame is fairly wide, plus he had leg burner pipes (not chromed, thank got, cus that would've gotten scratched), but where there's a will there's a way. Within 30 seconds, I was in. Really made my weekend.
    When I was younger my dad and I went to the drag races ine Edmonton with a guy he worked with and his son who was the same age as me. It was the last time DOn Garlets ever raced there, so it was a pretty big deal. After the races we got T-shirts and the 2 of us went around getting as many drivers to sign the shirts as we could. 1 particular dork tells us, quite rudely "I'm not signing that, you want a signiture you buy one of my shirts" to which the reply was something to the effect of "Screw that". Nice attitude, especially to a couple of 9 or 10 year old kids. Another driver saw all this, and when we got over by his car he signed our shirts, invited us into his trailer to look at his car (it was getting late and he was pretty much loaded up by that time) and gave us poster sized pics of his car, which he signed. We noticed later the $5 price tag on them, but he gave them to us. After we were in the trailer (out of ear shot) he tells us "Don't worry about that jackass, he's just a blowhard prick". Attitude makes all the difference.

25. woodywagon1965r

woodywagon1965r

I dont have any probs with the guy who wants a sign on his car !!

Have myself been the victim of some dimwitted moron..
    for years did the bike thing before the cars had a few top winning HD s
    that yes were rode hard put away wet when to beat.. to clean them up right away after a long run in the rain ,or coast to coast

I Remember coming out of a coffee shop one day after getting caught in a storm that no man or beast in his right mind shoulda been riding in
    when i see this dweeb and his dim witted poop collectors .. like buddys line had to use it .
    Drawing down the sides of my tanks tried her best to follow the lines of my candy blue flames
    The fact that the pearl white with four shots of blue flip and 8 shots of blue flip in the pinstripping around the flames
    was now marked up from the grit on the road and her little gruby ass fingers
    I did my best to stay calm walked over to her father leaned down to him
    in a very low voice ..so his kids or wife wouldnt hear..
    get her hands off my bike or you wont be able to get MY hands off your neck
    Old School Rule ..
    Never embarrass a man in front of his kids or wife
    I did ask very polite and nice
    How was he going to pay for that little art lesson
    that was a 5 k paint job she used as a chalk board included all those nice little squiggly marks where she really didnt mean to follow

I let him sweat it out for a few more minutes and told him
    no prob i would pay to have my tanks buffed out
    but dont let your kids play with toys you cant afford to pay for or fix
    next guy might not be as nice as me
    P.S
    I know i made a friend that day

26. felix37

felix37

Wow!! I didn't expect this post to generate so much interest. It's obvious it's a divided post based on the comments made. A lot of good stories pro and con. I would like to point out that I don't mind the cars that have the please don't touch signs, It's just the one's that go over board with it! the overly concerned one's That act like coming to a car event or show is like a job for them and they are so consumed with their own car they can't even enjoy the other cars, These are the guy's that annoy me! I also understand there are some dumb people out there,and we just can't fix stupid! They will always be there! It's just the chance you take! If you truly use and enjoy your car, you will get some road rash along the way. If you can't fathom the idea of your car getting a scratch on it, put it in a museum behind velvet ropes, and do us all a favor! Maybe then, there will be an extra parking spot in the front of the Expo building at Louisville, where I can park my not so shiny car,for ONCE!! Power parking at Louisville! that will be a post for another day.

27. Some years back at a car show my then then 7 +/-year old son was looking at a '27 roadster and really liked it and was going to stand next to it while I took his picture. Well the owner was nearby and invited my son to sit in the car behind the steering wheel to get his pictures taken. My boy was so happy you would have thought he won the lottery - which in a manner he did. That was really nice of that guy and of course we thanked him!

28. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

a friend took this pic, caught the cameraguy and all. good thing my wife and i were not around. she would of black & blued those chicks for getting up on her merc!!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 17, 2011
  29. hisel76

hisel76

i dont mind the kid paws on the car but i think a grown man knows better.if someone asks ,i dont mind them getting in to try the switches or take pics in it. now the flyers in the car are even worst. i dont have wipers on my car so they throw them in the seats. one time someone threw some in the front seat while it was humid outside and the ink in the flyers bled through onto my brand new white seats. still havent been able to get it all out. and the sad thing was it was a show flyer for a donk show. so please think about rain and other possibilities when throwing the flyers in the car.

30. ol'chevy

ol'chevy

My dash card......
    [​IMG]
    Feel free to print out and use. I have seen these things in pictures from the midwest, I have given them out in the Carolinas.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.