Register now to get rid of these ads!

Parallel pinion alternative

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by vet57air, Apr 11, 2011.

1. I have a 34 Ford that I'm trying to make better. The engine is 4 degrees down, the rear is 4 degrees up and the driveshaft is higher at the rear by 2 degrees. As I understand that would be 6 degrees working angle, which is a little high.
    If I went to a intersecting angle by lowering the rearend angle to 4 degrees down which would reduce the driveshaft angle to say 0, would my working angle now be 4?

2. ddawg16

ddawg16
    from So CA

It would be close....but not exact....the actual difference would be a function of the distance from the pinion yoke to the tranny yoke.

My suggestion...use a CV driveshaft. Repostion the pumpkin so the pinion points straight at the rear of the tranny....the CV joint at the tranny will take care of the rest. Us off-road guys deal with this all the time....but just much more radical angles...

3. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bingo! Both my A and my 4x4 truck are set up this way. The A is essentially the upside-down version of the front of the 4x4 truck. Bolt on CV yokes can be had for almost any transmission. You may have to drill and tap your output shaft, but it is really not that hard.