Register now to get rid of these ads!

Copy of a 1934 Ford Coupe Seat

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 4ever18, Mar 25, 2011.

1. 4ever18

4ever18

New 34 Ford Coupe Seat 05.jpg New 34 Ford Coupe Seat 06.jpg New 34 Ford Coupe Seat 14.jpg New 34 Ford Coupe Seat 17.jpg New 34 Ford Coupe Seat 18.jpg New 34 Ford Coupe Seat 19.jpg New 34 Ford Coupe Seat 24.jpg For the past few years, a friend has suggested multiple times that I make a copy of the '33/4 Ford coupe seat. Don had a set of patterns for the wood and I have a couple of original seats. Since the home construction business isn't keeping me busy, I thought that this would be a good time to make an attempt at creating a seat. Who knows, someone might even want to purchase one of these seats (I made templates). The seat duplicates the original in size so that it will also use the original springs (available in reproduction from Synder's). It turned out well enough that I sold one of my original seats and will use this one in my '34 5 window. The original seat pan is a stamped sheet metal item. My seat bottom frame is made from square tubing. My version is much more ridgid than the original and is about 10 pounds heavier. Check out the photos below. I'd be interested in feedback from y'all, especially '33/4 Ford coupe owners/builders.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2021
  2. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

I think it's rather refreshing to see something other than a bomber seat in a coupe...nice job. :)

stanlow69 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  3. bobby_Socks

bobby_Socks
    from ǑǃƕǑ

Looks good.

This is something that I have thought about changing in my coupe in the future and would be interested in one at some point in the not to distant future.

4. F&J

F&J

Can it be knocked down for ups/fedex, that would be easier on the buyer not dealing with truck freight issues.

Start with 33/4 coupes then expand to other years.

5. Pete

Pete

How different are the 32 roadster seats??? I have those same patterns and was wondering if they would work in my roadster.

Pete-

6. 4ever18

4ever18

Yes, I would build the seat then disassemble it for shipping. By assembling the seat, both the buyer and seller are sure that the seat can be assembled without a bunch of extra work. The assembled seat can be shipped easily by Greyhound bus. The disassembled seat would be shipped by FedEx.

I started with the '33/4 Ford seat because that's the car that I have and I had a couple of excellent original seats to use as a reference point. The wood isn't too much of an issue, as long as you don't get the seat too wide. I used Donnie's wood patterns and then checked them against my original seat, which still has it's original wood. I built the metal base on top of an original seat pan. This way I made sure that the width, taper, and contour matched the original seat. It'd be a pain to go through all this work, get the seat upholstered (which means the sides get padded) and find that the seat hit your door panels.

7. 4ever18

4ever18

I'm unable to answer your question, Pete. I'd have to have an original roadster seat pan to compare to. It seems that a lot of the early Ford seats were built along the same style, which means they may be close enough to work or just different enough to cost you a bunch of work. That's why I built the seat frame off my original seat pan. If you choose an upholstery pattern that gets heavily padded door panel, even a 1/2 inch can cause you trouble.

Best regards.

8. 4ever18

4ever18

Here's a photo of the replacement seat frame, which I patterned after the original seat pan. I've also included three photos of an original seat pan, with new wood and no seat springs.

Attached Files:

9. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

I believe there MAY be a large market for a 1932 3W seat also.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I made and sent about 4 or 5 sets of patterns off my 32 3W seat to fellow HAMBERS ... before I had it upholstered.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It seems that most every 32 3W you find has the original seat missing :eek:

10. 4ever18

4ever18

Looks good, Deuce Roadster. Has anyone bothered to make a replacement seat pan for the Deuce? Given the number of replacement seats on the market, as well as the popularity of various bucket seats, is probably why the replacement sheet metal parts suppliers haven't bothered to make a reproduction seat pan (at least, non that I'm aware of).

11. id love a set of patterns for a 34 3w

12. woodyTom

woodyTom
    from canton MI

id like to get a set of patterns also for a 34

13. 4ever18

4ever18

I appreciate the feedback, guys. Do you guys think that this would be more attractive to potential buyers if offered as just the metal structure and a set of paper patterns for the wood? This way the buyer wouldn't be paying me to cut and fit the plywood, then turn around and disassemble and package the whole thing. Shipping would be cheaper, as well, since the bottom is smaller than the backrest, as well as not including the additional weight of the wood pieces and the associated angle brackets & bolts. I'd only be shipping the structure shown below.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 27, 2011
  14. 5 window coupe

5 window coupe

Your idea would definitely cut down the shipping cost. Have you set a price for the bottom pan and templates?

Thanks

15. JCW2110

JCW2110

Looks GREAT!!!! I would offer it as seat frame with the paper cut outs, just to save on time and shipping? If someone wants it fully complete then they would have to special order it that way.

16. F&J

F&J

Both. There will be people who have wood working skills/tools, and those that want the complete seat, either knocked down or assembled.

My guess is that more people will want a complete seat with the wood parts.

17. Crease

Crease

Very nice work!! I think the steel and pattern idea would be the way I would go as a buyer. Im sure others would prefer a done kit. Perhaps you could partner with an upholstery guy and offer a complete seat also?

18. 4ever18

4ever18

19. tinmann

tinmann

As one of those 4 or 5 Hambers, thanks again Randy. Your patterns were a great help.

I actually narrowed and deepened an original '34 fordor pan to work as the base in my '32 3w.

36pontiac likes this.
  20. Airborne34

Airborne34
    from Texas

This is a great thread!! I have a complete seat fram but Im missing the rear seat springs. Im trying to piece together what I need. Does the rear seat spring have a separate wood back? Would appriciate if you could post a few pics of the seat backs. Thanks

21. BAD PENNY

BAD PENNY
    from mass

Deuce Roadster...YUP, Me too...I need patterns for a 32 3-window. I've got mustang buckets in mine !!!

22. 4ever18

4ever18

The backrest springs fasten directly to the wooden frame back. Only the seat bottom springs have a separate wooden frame. Snyders reproduces the seat springs. Their springs include "tabs" through which the screws pass in order to fasten the springs to the seat frame (backrest) or the separate wooden base for the seat bottom.

23. Airborne34

Airborne34
    from Texas

Excellent, Thanks.

24. are you still considering selling the patterns? id like a set for our families 34 3w

25. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

The seats look great. Is there away to make it fold down?

Ago

26. joee

joee

i'd buy what ur going to make,i have a 32 fordor

27. Camel

Camel
    from oroville

I would be interested in purchasing the patterns as well

28. blindmouse

blindmouse
    from Virginia

29. Itchy-Pit

Itchy-Pit

How about a 1936 Ford 3W? - Thanks!@ D

30. six pack to go

six pack to go
    from new jersey

really cool, im running 66 Mustang buckets but do want a bench in the future...