Register now to get rid of these ads!

gasser mufflers?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jay.S, Mar 21, 2011.

1. Jay.S

Jay.S

So i finally got my car running and now i'm starting to put some thought into exhaust. The car is built gasser style and i want to keep the sound with that theme. So what did gassers or streat freaks from back in the day use for mufflers? The engine is a 350 with a comp270H cam, tunnel ram with hooker fenderwell headers. I am planning on putting cut outs but i'm just not sure on mufflers. Any opinions? what do you guys use?

2. Glass pacs or steel pacs Thrush Mufflers were real popular around here.

3. 1927 Death Trap

1927 Death Trap
    from CT

My buddy ran fender headers on his 40 Chevy and only had some Borla mufflers that looked like a coffee can They had a great sound, but he had a very radical motor. If your gonna have cut-outs, I would run 2.5 or maybe 3 inch pipe and Flowmaster super 40's. They sound great and give just about any small block that rumble ya want. But C'mon man, run em OPEN!!!!:eek::D:eek::D

4. Jay.S

Jay.S

Thanks guys. i would love to run them open but where i live its illegal for open exhaust and i'm a punk kid with a straight axle car, so i'm already on the watch by the police! haha

5. 1927 Death Trap

1927 Death Trap
    from CT

Another thought, if ya aren't going to run inner fenders, or you could modify the orig. you could get some of the Sanderson Zoomies. Flip them upside down and they look cool as hell. I had them that way on my T Bucket and loved it!! They were LOUD but in a good way. We put them on the 40 and they looked real cool with the 4 pipes on each side just looming over the tire. But if ya need the car quiet this is not the way to go. I never got bothered by the man though.

6. 1927 Death Trap

1927 Death Trap
    from CT

The Sanderson Zoomies have baffles so the are legit. Lets be clear though, they are for back pressure. Some states want the exhaust to run past the rear wheel though.

7. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

If I lived in Saskatoon, I'd install 2 mufflers per side I hear they don't like noise up there! Or 2.5 in. Flowmaster super 44 with tail pipes to the very back, Good Luck

8. Jay.S

Jay.S

^^^^ Yeah i agree! no one up here likes to hear their engines, its all, lets put mufflers on everything to get rid of that sound....... I'm leaning more towards a glasspack i think but not cherry bombs, anyone have any videos with good sounding exhaust that will fit my theme?

9. Please don't consider Zoomies on a Gasser style car unless it is going to be a Blown car and raced. Zoomies do not make good power on naturally aspirated cars, are not period correct for a Gasser and look pretty much Stupid on the street.

hotrodtodd1960 likes this.
  10. i know exacty what you mean i love the flow master sound but its really not the correct sound i do custom exhaust and i ordered some glass pack style 3in inside with a 5in outer case about 16 in long havent had the on yet so i really dont know what its going to sound like lol

11. Jay.S

Jay.S

anyone else??

12. shainerman

shainerman

I dont know shit, but it I had to run a muffler on a car like that it would be the shortest length glasspack I could find. I like the sound of a Cherry Bomb honestly, but they can suck. A lot of people love Smittys but I dont think that sound would be fitting of your car.

13. Judd

Judd

I have header mufflers from autozone, they are glass packs that have colector flange/bell made on them. I had muffler shop make pipes that exit ahead of rear wheels with bent rod that slips in hole in rubber block on my car, they come off in less than a minuite. I welded the nuts to the muffler flange and only need one 3/8 wrench to remove the exhaust. They sound good to me.

14. Ford Freak

Ford Freak

I used Flowtech "Purple Hornies" from Summit. PN#BIG50231FLT. Painted them w/Rustolium Barbeque Black. Great 60's sound, and they look period correct on a nostalgic gasser for the street or strip.

15. Ghost of ElMirage

Ghost of ElMirage

Definately Purple hornies are the way to go with turnouts that you can open maunually when ya wanna show off at cruise nights. Moon makes electric ones but they are stupidly expensive

16. H3O

H3O

I love my cherry bomb pro muffler!!! if I had dual exhaust I would have two...they sound awesome!!! lower rpms kinda sound similar to a flowmaster, but at the upper rpms they have a lil rap to them...sounds frickin sweet!!!!!!!!!!

17. OCIE

OCIE
    from TRINITY,TX

One chamber flowmasters sound pretty mean. They have a really deep tone.

18. 54chebby

54chebby
    BANNED
    from Ohio

They're kind of hard to see in this pic but im running a sidepipe type muffler on mine. Not sure what they came off of or if they were an after market item but they sound great. Still let it "live" but quiet enough they dont get you in trouble.

IMG_0930.jpg

19. SmokinBill

SmokinBill

20. tommyganly

tommyganly
    from seaford de

Purple Hornies my vote.

21. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Glass packs on mine run back to the rear axle with turn downs:
    [​IMG]

22. Larry T

Larry T

Not a gasser, but maybe a street freak (Anglia). The bigger the better, tied into 3.5" Flowmasters.
    Larry T

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 23, 2011
  23. LSGUN

LSGUN
    from TX

I'd run some chambered mufflers like sweet thunder or powersticks, amazing sound at wide open throttle and tone cruising.

[​IMG]

24. Igosplut

Igosplut

This is a cam brake-in. They're 3" Cherry Bombs....

<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hW-MP0u54Y8&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hW-MP0u54Y8&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

25. Butch M

Butch M

I think the purple hornies would be real cool....

26. papajohn

papajohn

I couldn't handle how loud my corvair (street freak) was, so I added afterburner mufflers with turn down tips. I put the cutouts in case I had the urge to uncork it now and then.

Attached Files:

27. straightaxlenova

straightaxlenova

I run Flowmaster mufflers when the tracks require mufflers. They sound decent, and don't slow the car down any.

[​IMG]

28. Bad Daddy

Bad Daddy

29. BronxMopars1

BronxMopars1
    from Bronx, NYC

PURPLE HORNS, or CHERRY BOMBS! There isnt a 3rd choice

30. stewartwhite

stewartwhite

Four inch tube with a modified baffle, nice sound at idle, low restriction and loud when opened up!

Attached Files: