Register now to get rid of these ads!

Unchopping a chopped 57 Ford Ranchero windshield

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by exStreamliner, Mar 6, 2011.

1. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

looks like you are one of the few that would have bought this unfinished project in the first place, much less be able to repair it. the other guy, like many, do not truly think things through when do a serious modification like a roof chop-especially with curved glass. that is why there are a number of "converts" running around because of failed chop jobs.Thanks for sharing this with us.

2. ratster

ratster

i cant wit to see this one finished, nice work!

3. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

This picture shows the lip that had to be bent flush with the post for the door to clear

[​IMG]

4. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

Finally the fun part... attaching the front section... seems like a lot of prep... and this is all you wanted to do from the beginning

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

I've always found a camera is an important tool in modifications... you can get to close to your project and not notice the overall impact... if a modification looks good in the camera at differant angles than the finished product will too

[​IMG]

6. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

Now this is the shot that you realise you have achomplished something a little differant... it doesn't look like the front area of a Ranchero or a Retract... something about it being lower and forming a hooded effect over the windshield gives it the Square Bird look

[​IMG]

7. LDGn63

LDGn63

oh you make me SICK! and i love it! thanks for bringing the pain!

8. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

Here is part of the original panel being held in place to get a comparision (naturally it would farther back)... it gives you an idea how much differance an 1 1/4" makes... I know from my chopped 33 it will be more street light friendly having the extra visability... an if I can find a one with a tinted top it will blend in to the black

[​IMG]

9. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

This gives a little more prospective... weather this time of year doesn't allow for it to be rolled out side

[​IMG]

Boryca likes this.
  10. Good Lord man! That's an ambitious project. It really looks great though!

Boryca likes this.
  11. Where's you helper when you need one.....Make sure she wears gloves, YOU don't what her to break a nail......

12. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

Maybe these shots show the increased windshield opening... same chop... slightly less crown... wider... and an OEM unchopped windshield

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

You can really see the chop in this shot

[​IMG]

14. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

Lovely job, this will be one grouse lookin Rancho! :) hope this isn't the last of the updates on this job.

15. koolkemp

koolkemp

I love stuff like this, really nice work, well worth the effort !

16. that is trick! great job and foresight!

17. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

Another angle of the Chop

[​IMG]

18. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

Pretty amazing!!!! Great work and much better!!!:)

19. Pretty sweet combination of parts, vision, and skill.

20. Slova68

Slova68
    from Canton, OH

My name's Scott, and I'm the builder on this job. I just want to thank everyone for the feedback. This one's been a wild ride so far, but we've got a looooong way to go so keep the encouragement and advice coming.

21. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

Hi Scott, welcome aboard! We're all getting a huge kick out of your skills. Keep up the amazing work.

22. hvychvy

hvychvy

23. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

Scott has done an amazing job... applying skills to someone else's vision is difficult at best... dealing with all the mixed bag of parts has been insane... this is my 14th 57 and this project has had me through a few learning curves... If I didn't have so many parts it would have been an impossibility... all I've ever done before was modify suspension & drivetrain... this is first 57 restyling effort

24. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

As a side note... If anyone knows this Ranchero from when Butch's Rod Shop owned it or before, I would like to know more... the original chop looked good but was never finished

25. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

Another detail is the door of the Ranchero, Ranch Wagon, & Del Rio are the same as the Tudor Custom 300 Series so they follow the arch of the roof line which is hardly visable in the rear... but, the front tapor is more pronounced... the corner pix is a close-up.... the Retract is straight

[​IMG]

26. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

This shows the initial chage to the drip rail and the new roof profile

[​IMG]

27. CharlieLed

CharlieLed

Lots of good work here....after looking at this door I can't help myself, I need to offer another perspective. The rear edge of the window opening screams to be canted forward, either to match the slant of the A-pillar or to match the slope of the roof line. IMO the body lines would flow so much better...

28. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

The door is already done (I'm slow on the editing)... it looks a lot differant than... this is the door from the original chop and because of the differant A pillar angle we cut the top off this one and started over using doner doors... here is a differant angle with molding in place... a completed door is the first post (easily overlooked if ya like Betty Paige)

[​IMG]

29. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

I don't think anyone will mind seeing it twice and next to the other door

[​IMG] Posted

30. Slova68

Slova68
    from Canton, OH

Thanks! I've done quite a bit of metal work in the past but this one is taking it to a whole nother level! It's been a real education...I'm just glad that I've been able to make all the pieces of the puuzle come back together!:D