Register now to get rid of these ads!

what year did GM stop using steel speedometer cables on automatic trans

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ZZ-IRON, Feb 28, 2011.

1. ZZ-IRON

ZZ-IRON
    from Minnesota

so what year did rear wheel GM Hydramatic's stop using steel speedometer cables ?

had a project i was thinking about doing when i found out the trans had a electronic speedometer plug in and no place to hook up the mechanical speedometer cable - wow that was a surprise

2. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Circa 1993. It was not a uniform switchover on all units, but right about then.

Also, about then, the automatics are not really automatics anymore, either. They have no internal shifting capability. They are shifted via the engine management computer. No computer = no shift.

3. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

IF ... you have a 700R4 ... it can be converted over to a cable drive pretty easily.

[​IMG]

I converted mine ... with commonly available junk yard stuff.

:D

4. ZZ-IRON

ZZ-IRON
    from Minnesota

I was looking at a SBC / 4L60E combo that's when i found out there was no way to hook up the old style cable

5. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

Depends on the car line, I have had plenty of 87 up trans ams that used a VSS off the 700r4 while other GM same year cars used the cable and the VSS was on the speedo head. As stated it is easy to convert to the cable speedo, I just did one on an 87 700r4 and did not need to change the tailshaft or gear on the output shaft.

6. ZZ-IRON

ZZ-IRON
    from Minnesota

Thanks for the info it will come in handy for my next project
    the sbc with the 4L60E was sold so i missed out on it
    got good info here, Thanks

7. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Keep in mind, the 4L60E is not like a 700R4. It does not shift itself (nor does the 4L80E). It requires that you use the stock ECM or an aftermarket transmission control unit. This is a pricey setup.

8. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

Yah like over a grand pricey. There is an electric drive unit to put on the speedometer so that it will work. but again more money, i think 200 or more.