Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Car's & truck's when we were kids.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Unibodyguy, Feb 27, 2011.

1. Unibodyguy

Unibodyguy

Don't know how much responce this will get but I was going through some old pics this morning of mine for my Mom and Dad's upcoming 50th wedding anniversery later this year and thought it would be cool to start a thread of us (people on the HAMB) of us and cars that our folks/familys had when we were little. I have to tell you my Uncle's and my Dad all helped me get motivated in the Hot Rod area real quick with many fast rides in just about everything. I was 3 on here (April 1965) and Bob taught me what most of the tools were and their names starting out when I was that age. I felt I was ready to drive when I was 10! Heck my Uncle Jim used to have 1/4 miles marked off on the pavement up the road from the house. If you got any pics please post them.

Michael

Attached Files:

2. orphanautomill

orphanautomill

Here is one that came up recently from my parents place. It's got a bunch on my favorites in there; a few Hudsons, an International...

Sorry for the small pic :)

[​IMG]

3. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

This is going to be an awesome thread. Subscribed!

4. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I don't have any pics from "back in the day" and would find it difficult to post them if I did..........but....I do recall very well the cars my dad had during my first 20 years on earth...........'30 Model A 2 door, '32 Ford V8 4 door, '37 2 door 85 hp, '41 Chev Fleetline 4 door (fairly rare now), '49 Ford V8 2 door, '50 Chev 2 door, '53 Merc V8 Stick OD 2 door, '57 Chev 210 6 cyl stick 4 door, 62 Chev Biscayne 6 stick 4 door, '65 Chev Biscayne 6 stick 4 door...........the later cars not so exciting now as the earlier ones.

My dad wasn't a car guy.........cars were just a means to get to work and haul the rug rats around. But I was aware of cars from a very early age and always took notice of what was in the neighborhood or that we passed on the streets and highways. Trucks too, for that matter.

Ray

5. Toymont

Toymont
    from Montana

I remember growing up in the 60's my parents always had mid fifties stuff, several Studebaker station wagons and my dad had some early 50's Chevy trucks

6. jdj9410

jdj9410
    from Paris TX

Mom and Dad's 54 Olds. At least they call it a 54, and looks like one to me.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 27, 2011
  7. Bad Daddy

Bad Daddy

My parents had many vehicles over the years. Including a red '62 Pontiac, and '68 Buick Gran Sport California GS that my mom drove. Dad also had a beautiful black big window '56 Ford F100. My uncle Tony has a '67 Cougar and a "70 SE Challenger. He also had a '71 Plymouth GTX w/440. My uncle Eddie had a '54 F100. One I actually got to drive while I was in high school, my parent's 1970 RT/SE Challenger sporting a 383 w/ Torqueflight tranny. It was set up with the full Hemi suspension as they initially were going to order it with the Hemi, but decided it would be a bit too much power.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 27, 2011
  8. Happy Golden Anniversary to the folks Mike..my pop was my hero too, growing up I was his shadow, full-time parts fetcher & Partner in Crime. Weekends were spent scouring side-roads for donor cars, we'd tow'em home many times with me, all of 8 or 10, at the helm piloting the chained beast tethered to the bumper for miles down back roads. Can’t even tell you what an awesome yet frightening experience that was and it'd begin with a brief but equally scarry pep-talk. Something like, "Look Knothead! Don't do anything to draw attention to yourself to make us get caught." We’d stop just short of the house and he’d let me get out and go inside to create a distraction to get ma away from the window while he'd push the wreck past to the barn. Somehow that worked more than once, Ma is eternally naive and gullible; man how I love that woman. Anyways pop was always tight lipped about his 60's hot rodding escapades in the hopes I wouldn't try to out stupid him when it came my time to sit on the left. The only time I'd get the real skinny was when the Schlitz flowed or one of his old hooligan buddies popped in and spilled the beans.
    Those guys are leaving us more and more as the years go by, thank the Lord I'm still my Pop's shadow when I can find the time and we swap stories ourselves like two old hooligans now!
    This was his boss 60 Impala, around 62, a year or two after High School. This one didn't survive his antics, on a Millwright job out in Redding,Ca. he let a buddy race it and they sailed right off an alleged cliff wiping it out. He managed to save the 3 deuce/348.
    [​IMG]

Here's Ma and Pop, look'n "Swell"
    [​IMG]

Dad, fancying himself as with the "Cash" look. R.I.P. Man in Black. Somewhere around 1959.
    [​IMG]

9. moffetkustoms

moffetkustoms
    from granby, mo

My dad drove a 55 chev when he was in the Air Force. I have a pic of him holding me on the hood when I was 2 or 3. I'll see if I can find it.

10. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

My uncle had a '49 Ford and a '59 Biscayne. Granddad had posession of his brother's El Camino SS and a land barge of a Lincoln Continental.

11. Unibodyguy

Unibodyguy

I am very pleased with the reponces on this! Thanks for adding your photos and comments guys! My Dad worked and ran a tire company when I was very young and later on got invited to work over at a Dodge dealership(both in Shawano WI) and eventually got to be the trans. R&R guy but he did everything there. One of his "specialtys" was wrecker calls. I went out with him quite a few times as a little guy doing that and saw some pretty wierd stuff. The guy at the Dodge dealership he worked for was always so good to me and my brother. He'd always be buying us candy cars all the time! I'd (since I was a little older) go with him on Saturdays and sweep the floors and help do trash detail. Lots a cool memorys. By this time my Uncle Bob (in the photo with the 57 Chevy) was in Kenosha WI working for AMC.

Michael

12. My big sister has all the old pics. I wish I had them but I don't. Maybe someday when it doesn't matter any more.

13. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

I wasn't old enough or born on the right side of the Atlantic to participate in this thread,but bet your ass. I'm subscribed. These kind of threads are just too cool for school:D. Thanks for starting it.
    Paul

14. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

These are the only HAMB friendly pics i could find. My Grandfather's chevy. Most likely 40-50 years before i was born.

Sorry about the pics being sideways.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Gabriel Howard

Gabriel Howard
    from OKC
    1. Okie Hambers

here is one of my uncle Bob

Attached Files:

16. Ratroddude

Ratroddude
    BANNED

My dad and a couple of rides he had when coming home from the Army ,(1966-68 draftie)

Attached Files:

17. Muttley

Muttley

I've got a ton of my Dads old pictures, I'll post some this afternoon.

18. 26 roadster

26 roadster

no pics but I remember sleeping on the package tray of Dad's new 56 chevy del ray and standing next to Mom in the seat, Try that now!!

19. Muttley

Muttley

Most of these were taken at least twenty years before I was born.

My Uncle Charlie's '35 Three Window. Dayton, Ohio, 1950:

[​IMG]

20. Muttley

Muttley

Uncle Bob's '40 Deluxe. Dayton, Ohio 1950. I tried to enlarge the photo to I.D. the decals in the quarter window but it was too fuzzy.

[​IMG]

21. Muttley

Muttley

My Uncle Henry's Cadillac, Bell Gardens, California 1952.

[​IMG]

22. Muttley

Muttley

Uncle Charlie's jade green '37 Chevy. Bell Gardens, California 1952.

[​IMG]

23. Muttley

Muttley

Charlie with his tangerine orange Merc. Bell Gardens, California 1952.

[​IMG]

24. Muttley

Muttley

Uncle Bob's Chopped/Channelled '32. Bell Gardens, California 1953. After this was sold off my Dad and Grandfather saw it a a used car dealer one day. The salesman told my Grandpa he could take it since it was still in his name. My dad who was about 13 at the time begged him but Grandpa refused. Considering how tight my Grandpa was with money this is almost impossible to believe. I'm surprised he didnt at least take it to sell it off. I've heard about this car for years but never saw pictures until my Aunt sent me these:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. Muttley

Muttley

My Dad's '54 Merc and my Uncle Jerry's '55 Chevy. Huntington Beach, California 1961.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

26. jchav62

jchav62

When I was little, my '62 belonged to my older brother... He owned it from around 1980 until about 2000 when I got it. Here's how it looked when he finished it back then in his Vo-tech auto body class...

Not sure how "HAMB friendly" these pics are, but back then I thought it was the coolest 'hot rod' and he was my hero...

Attached Files:

27. Muttley

Muttley

Uncle Bob's '39. This car had more custom work done to it than you can shake a stick at.

Written on the back of the picture:

"This is the way the car looked when I got it except fot the bumpers. It had '47 Ford bumpers. I changed it to '40 Lincoln. It had a chopped hood but it was all dented."

[​IMG]

From the back of the photo:

"Lowered the front fenders about five inches after this was taken."

[​IMG]

"Since this was taken I straightend the bumper up and put a '49 Chevy guard on the license."

[​IMG]

"Radiused front fenders, trimmed bottoms and rolled them under."

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thats my Grandmother sitting in front of the car.

[​IMG]

Uncle Bob with the car:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

28. Muttley

Muttley

My Dad's '49 Olds. Huntington Beach, California 1961.

[​IMG]

29. Muttley

Muttley

Dad's '58 Volvo. Westminster, California 1965.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

30. Muttley

Muttley

Dad's '58 DeSoto. Westminster, California 1966. The car had black Tuck & Roll and ran Astros W/Inglewood Cheater Slicks. One morning my Dad came out to go to work and the big rock at the end of his driveway with the address painted on it was stuck under the front of the car.............the Astros on the front were missing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Heres a closeup of the wheels & slicks:

[​IMG]

The Slicks were switched out when the car spun on the 405 freeway on the way to work one morning in the rain. Thankfully no one was hurt and there was no damage to the car.