Register now to get rid of these ads!

Firesuit phil passes away

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by GASSERGUY, Feb 21, 2011.

1. GASSERGUY

GASSERGUY

I'm shocked and saddened beyond words.

'Firesuit Phil' Pofahl and his '46 Ford were an integral part of my GASSER Magazine experience. I remember standing in his trailer, shooting video of him and knowing how special he was. If I had any doubts, he wasn't shy to tell me the place he held in racing history. Makes me laugh even today.

We weren't always on the same page but always saw things in the same way...'let's keep the GASSER history alive."

Phil, you are missed and loved.... Ernest McIntyre

2. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

too many leaving us these days
    Never got to meet him, but my prayers are sent

3. bigbob55

bigbob55
    from Pittsburgh

That's a sad note Ernest, Phil will be missed by many

4. side_valve

side_valve
    Alliance Vendor

I'm sorry to hear that. My all time favorite gasser and Phil ran it hard!!!

5. storm king

storm king

You mean the guy with that car with the 40 year old paint job? About a '46 Ford?

6. GOATROPER02

GOATROPER02
    from OHIO

Thats him...Injected early Olds powerplant

Got to meet him a couple times last year,Quite the character

Tony

7. BigNick1959

BigNick1959

[​IMG]

Phil lived down the street from me here in Kenosha and was one cool guy, always seemed to be in a good mood. He also wasent beyond doing a couple dry hops in his Ford in the middle of the street before loading it in the trailer on his way to an event. :eek:

Phil, we miss you already!

Big Nick and The Polish Chick

8. hotrod_32

hotrod_32

What a great guy and racer Phil was ! He always made time to tell you a story or two...Will be missed by all that knew him.

9. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My husband and i were lucky enough to spend some time with phil at the gasser meets. A very nice man to talk too. So sad that he's gone. God bless him and his family.
    Gasser Girl

10. rip Phil

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/CxxFRngwa0g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

11. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

12. drunkandgreasy

drunkandgreasy
    from nunya

RIP...my condolences to Phil's family.

Cheers
    hodge

13. storm king

storm king

That is a shame. My brother and I talked to him quite a bit at the HHR in Bowling Green a couple of years ago. As said, very nice man.
    Celebrate his life people, I'm quite sure he lived it his way!
    Godspeed, Phil!

14. slammed

slammed

He ran at the Cordova Il. Oldie's race a couple year's ago, spoke to him too. He really loved his car. Praying for the man's soul.

15. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Big John, Barb Hamilton, Firesuit Phil and K.S. Pittman at Thompson.[​IMG]

16. Phil was the real deal. For those who never met him you missed something special. He always had a smile on his face. Even if he didnt have the fastest car there he always was having fun. Phil was also a very good machinest and made many trick parts for that olds that are one of a kind. I always made a point to talk to him at the track or around town. I hope his car goes to the proper hands a museum or someplace that wont mess it up and change it rip

17. What a shame. I met Phil several years ago at the Gasser Reunion at Thompson. A real nice guy. Rest in peace Phil.

18. Bob Mosher

Bob Mosher

19. yardgoat

yardgoat

WOW !!! Great looking Gasser.Sorry for the familys and friends of his passing.I never did know him but from the storys posted,you guys were blessed and thanks for sharing his storys to those that didnt know him......................YG

20. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

21. primed34

primed34

Always enjoyed watching him run. RIP

22. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

I am totally stunned. Are you sure he passed away? Dang it, I just visited with him a few weeks back. I had no idea he was ill. Let's hope it was sudden and painless.

I raced Gassers at Great Lakes Dragaway and often pitted with Phil. He tried to maintain a gruff bravado, but he couldn't keep a straight face with me. I always gave him so much crap that he really took a liking to me.

It was a pleasure to visit him at his trailer. I especially remember the one he had a few years back. He had used it for quite a few years and had the entire interior covered in photos of racing events. It was a site to behold. I know I have spent hours looking at his photos.

Phil and his son/daughter in law were always ready to race. His car was always well prepared. Even though the paint was rough, he was proud of it and kept it very clean and tidy.

He loved to race and was very successful in bracket racing. I remember how pleased and proud he was to win the 2009 GG event at Bowling Green. Not the fastest car, but very consistant. Phil was good on the tree.

I am still hoping somebody will chime in and tell me this announcement is a mistake. If not, I am happy to have enjoyed some very personal times with Phil. I am going to miss him and his smile. He was a crowd pleaser and a good fellow.

23. TerrytheK

TerrytheK
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Had the chance to talk to him for just a few minutes after the "Geezer Gassers" ran at Goodguys Indy in 2006. Seemed like a very cool guy and I wish I'd have had the chance to get to know him. Godspeed, Firesuit Phil.

24. TerrytheK

TerrytheK
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Photos of Firesuit Phil's car from Indy 2006:

Attached Files:

25. the other me

the other me

Sad news indeed. I've never met Phil, but know some who have and they all had nothing but nice things to say about him. Just as the stories already shared.... RIP Firesuit Phil...GODSPEED.

26. To bad, he was an entertaining fellow, I met him in the early 90's at the Indy Good Guys Drags. He did some inovating things on that car of his. R.I.P.

27. Bob Mosher

Bob Mosher

28. I was lucky to have met him last summer and spent the little time I did with him. Great guy and he will be missed. We were lucky to have him participate at the show last year. Phil even rode his moped in our mini bike parade.
    Our prayers go out to his family.

29. funk 49

funk 49

R.I.P. Phil and my condolences to his family

30. When I heard I too was stunned. When I first got my car out he was one of the first to befriend me. Poking at me for running an amc then later admitting he used to work for amc. He was such a fun guy at the track and always seemed in a good mood. I think that is why so many of us are stunned, how could someone in such a good mood be in poor health! He lived his life how he wanted and is a role model for all of us in the nostalgia gasser community. Rip Phil....