Register now to get rid of these ads!

Started the junkyard 331 Cadillac in my 1928 Tudor for motivation

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Brock49Ford, Feb 20, 2011.

1. Brock49Ford

Brock49Ford

Started the junkyard 331 Cadillac in my 1928 Tudor for motivation today. I have been slowly working on my Tudor as life, time, and funds allow. I was a batchlor this weekend and we had great weather so I figured I better make the most of it. Pushed the car outside to clean the floor, move stuff around, etc. I have been very curious to hear what my exhaust would sound like, so I decided why not.

The motor is a 1950 Caddy 331 that I bought in 2005. I heard it in the orginal car before they pulled it. Fast forward 6 years (I work slow, what can I say). I built the headers and 2" mandrel bent exhaust system. Used Porter steelpack mufflers. There is only a little water in the block, and I have the custom gravity fed fuel line. Screwdriver on the starter, a few old battery cables and jumper wires and I was there! I did not want to run it too long and I figured that I was not going to hurt a whupped engine.

I'd like to think that I could take it to GG Puyallup in July, its down the hill and only about 10 min from my house, so it doesn't have to be bullet proof. We'll see if time and funds allow. At the least I now have a little video to watch to keep me focused motivated!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOG2qBKr32Y

2. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

That's rad man. i DIG THE EXHAUST. Keep at it.

3. 390Merc

390Merc
    from Indiana

Just watched the video, pretty nice sounding motor you got there!

4. studefreak

studefreak

Nice job on those headers , cool car

5. BratRod

BratRod

Sounds darn near perfect at the rear!! (especially for what your calling a junkyard motor) I may watch a few more times for some motivation of my own.

6. F&J

F&J

The whole car is cool, the Caddy makes it cooler. Sounds great.

What is the fan? a stock Cad cut down to fit the 32 rad?

7. customizer2024

customizer2024
    from niles, mi.

GREAT, How cool is that... If that don't give motivation nothing will...:cool:

8. chop32

chop32

Now thats what I call a motivational video...Im gonna log off and head for the garage!

9. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Sounds like it's gonnna have a nice little crackle out back . That oughtta keep ya going !

10. sounds good
    i like your car
    where did you get the motivation for the cam shaft spreader bar
    tk

11. Brock, I thought I worked slow. Get busy would ya! Did you have that sedan when I was at your garage a few years back when I lived there? Motor sounds pretty good. I am sure you have a cool manifold for that baby in your immense parts stash. Dale

12. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Congrats Brock on the first fire up.. GG is not to far away,you should be able to get it driveable by then.... just keep plugging away.. missed you at the swap this weekend.

13. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

Step 2 make sure the brakes work, cuz yer gonna try and take it around the dang block

14. jrstockwagon

jrstockwagon

nice work. how come you didnt just drop in a SBC...... haha j/k.

15. Brock49Ford

Brock49Ford

Out of a Oldsmobile 303 ;) I made the front and rear spreader bars.

Rear one is 2 cams welded together, looks like something out of inline 11 cylinder. haha
    I just remembered I had a picture.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 20, 2011
  16. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

sounds good, keep moving forward.

17. Brock49Ford

Brock49Ford

It is the same one Dale... I think this will get a Detroit Racing 2-2bbl. Although I have a Beatty pruned 4-71 intake that would be killer too. I told myself no messing with carbs, cams, or ignitions until I drive it. If we have $5.00/gal gas this summer the 2bbl is staying. Your project is coming along killer!!! I was just looking at your new pictures.

18. Brock49Ford

Brock49Ford

Hi Ken-

Yeah I was going to go but Henry had a pretty bad cold and had a Baseball skills deal from noon to 3:00. I might have to have a few evening and weekend Misfit thrash sessions.

19. dude that caddy is Bad-A Lac!!! sounds and looks good, I think I need a 331 for mine

20. Thanks Brock, My goal is to get my 34 done so it is a long distance driver and be able to come up to the NW with it in the summertime and hang out with the old gang. I keep plugging away at it. Your sedan looks good. Get after it big boy.

21. das858

das858

Nice choice of engine, sounds great too.

22. Brock49Ford

Brock49Ford

It is a stock (as far as I know) 1950 Cadillac fan. Thanks for the compliment!

23. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hot Rod Model A with an early Cadillac motor...awesome. And somethin' about one bald snow-tire that makes me smile.

24. jjayf

jjayf
    from Yelm, Wa

lovin it, been looking for cadillac motor for my car...even more motivated now that I hear yours!!

25. Brock49Ford

Brock49Ford

Thanks! I have a few spare Cadillac motors. Shoot me a PM with what you are looking for.

26. slammed

slammed

That is recycling at it's best!

27. jjayf

jjayf
    from Yelm, Wa

I'm going this week to look at a cheap 472 that was put in a bus with a 4 speed behind it (I know not as cool as an early one), if it runs good and the conversion looks good I might get it...if I don't I'll hit you up!!

28. Brock49Ford

Brock49Ford

Here are a few stationary pictures as well. Ignore all the stuff on the top, space is limited, and I didn't feel like taking it all down. Drive ways slopes, so the rake is off in these pictures. The yellow shocks give it a little "flair" dontcha think? Kinda screams "name the new parts."

Attached Files:

29. F&J

F&J

Little things make a rod look right; you did good on the radiator shell height and headlight placement. Some cars have just one or two things wrong, and you can't seem to get beyond the "wrong" when looking. Great looking A

30. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

the engine sounds great love the old caddy mills ,nice exhaust cool project