Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone here into large scale (1/8) car models???

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by Deuces, Dec 10, 2010.

1. Ebert

Ebert

Cats? I'm gone.

2. oldschool55

oldschool55

Sonny, just saw your models for the first time. WOW, what can I say but, I'm blown away.

3. Deuces

Deuces

4. b-bop

b-bop

Here is my Deuce that has been in a box for about 10 years. Sorry about the crap pictures. Comes with scale size dust on the body. You can tell it was done a while back when tweed interiors were in.

Attached Files:

Deuces likes this.
  5. Deuces

Deuces

Very cool build!! Thanks for posting the pics!! :)

6. Deuces

Deuces

7. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

Not really into models---until now; i'd like to make a small mock-up of my next full size project.

Can you give me any tips as far as making a tube frame? i'm thinking of using like fuel line tubing, which is, i think 3/8".

Would "real" welding have to be used? Also, do they make tubing notchers that small?

8. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

A lot of the guy's use brass. Available at most hobby stores and even some hardware stores. Usually soldering works best. Tubing notcher?? You got me on that one. I would just get a file & file a notch. Try this for the metal http://www.ksmetals.com/

9. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

Just sold all mine on here a couple weeks ago! Damn wife thinks we need water and lights! Sooo selfish! Lol

10. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

OK, great; No as far as bending the brass tubing..........? Can this/should this be done by hand or are there special tools for this?

11. RAT "T"

RAT "T"

k&s makes benders, but long springs with a close id will work too

12. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

Here are a few current images of progress on the 1/8th resin tudor body. Still a long way to go.
    Geoff aka whodaky
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Deuces likes this.
  13. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ah Ha!! Making tube frames, my favorite past time in model building.
    Yes the K&S Tubing (And other brands) is your best bet.
    You can buy tube cutters, K&S make one that cuts through the tube with a wheel as you tighten the tube up between it and a clamp while twisting the tube. Problem with that is it leaves a 'chamfer' in the end of the tube.
    Benders (Both like the ones you get for brake lines and the 'spring' type) I think they are both useless.
    The best way to bend tube I have found is to make your own bender, a cheapo wood cutting board and a few short lengths of tube. Drill 3 holes in a small triangle shape, glue your lengths of brass tube into the holes and you have a bending jig. I have 3 with different distances between the triangle sides (On the one board).
    It can help to put a smaller size tube inside the one you want bent to eliminate the inside radious from kinking in.

As for cutting? NOTHING beats the good old dremel with a cut off wheel, they are also the best thing for notching the tube.

You can make anything.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just to show scale is no issue, the above chassis is 1/32 scale, about 4inches long, this is it under the car.
    [​IMG]

Doc.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2011
  14. aerocolor

aerocolor
    from dayton

Wow! Some of these models are amazing in detail. I don`t think I see well enough to do that small stuff anymore.

Did do some 1/4 scale Nascar stuff a few years ago but they were approaching real car cost status to stay competitive so stopped before I was in too deep. They were fast for big model cars.

26 cc gas with fully adjustable suspension. The base chassis was around $1200.00

Attached Files:

15. Deuces

Deuces

Wow! This is all fantastic stuff!! Thanks guys for posting these pictures!! :)

16. 61falconwagon

61falconwagon

just finished this 1/8 scale beast

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Deuces

Deuces

That's a cool coupe!!! :D Here's a couple of kits I'm sitting on... One is the 1963 release of the Monogram 1/8 scale "Big T" and the other, a 1/6 scale AMT 283 Fuelie motor from the '90's...

Attached Files:

18. Deuces

Deuces

That Fuelie motor is a 300+ pc. set.. Kinda like the real thing.. crank, rods pistons wrist pins, cam, valves, springs, rocker arms,... Etc..

19. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A work bench diorama??;)

20. Deuces

Deuces

21. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

22. Ace'sSpeedshop

Ace'sSpeedshop
    from Washington

I have two 1/6 scale rc 41 willys coupes and the wcc 54 chevy that I am working on now.he other willys im going to go for more of a led sled im going to make skirts for it and the 54. More pics as the progress comes.

Attached Files:

Deuces likes this.
  23. Deuces

Deuces

I think I posted pics of my 1/6 RC Willys on this thread??? Here's what it looked like right out of box and what it looks like gutted out..

Attached Files:

24. [​IMG]

Just had this dropped in to me. Its for my big 32 that i showed at the start of this thread.
    Pretty happy about that.

Deuces likes this.
  25. Mojo

Mojo

I've considered turning my 1/6th scale willys into a computer case. It's hard to find any performance motherboards that are the shorter formfactor though.

26. Deuces

Deuces

Congrats Kiwi!!! :D

27. Deuces

Deuces

I turned an aluminum mask to cover the chrome rims on these Torq-Thrust mags from the newer BiG T model kit. I then sprayed the spokes with some hot rod grey primer.. Does it look convincing?? This was just a test piece just to try the mask out.. :D For the set of 4 mags, I plan on making some covers for the lug nutz using some styrene tubing that fit over the chrome lugs so they don't get sprayed..

Attached Files:

28. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

I've been working on a 37 Hudson grille surround. What do you guy's think. It will be available in 1/8th & 1/25th scales.

This is the 1/8th
    [​IMG]

This is it going into rubber.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

29. indianhead74

indianhead74

Yep, I'm glad they've re-issued the ones I built as a kid. I took the Jag XKE to show and tell when I was in grade school. Dad helped the build a bit. I had to put a pure oil decal on the fender where I touched it with a gluey little finger. That car seemed huge but I was sure proud of it. My re-creation will include the decal without the extra glue smudge. Indy