Register now to get rid of these ads!

41 Chevy Coupe leaf springs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by twilloug, Mar 21, 2010.

1. twilloug

twilloug
    from Omaha

So I was looking at rearching my rear leafs, but found out they are broken in several spots. Ran across new stock springs at JC Whitney for $230 shipped. Ordered them today.

One of my shackles might be cracked so where would be the best place to get shackles/bushings?

2. waldo53

waldo53
    from ID

3. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I ordered a set of springs from J.C. Whitney a few years ago and waited.....and waited,.......and.....waited some more. I wasn't in a big hurry as I was building the truck. I finally received a post card a few months (like 4 or 5 months) later saying they couldn't provide them. I went to a local spring shop and they made them up for me for about what Whitney's springs would have been with shipping, etc. I even took them back for a little de-arching (my prefference) after I fit them and wasn't charged for the re-work.

My advice, FWIW - buy locally whenever possible.

4. sawzall

sawzall

fyi.

if your changing the rear axle you dont want "stock springs" but rather rear springs with the center pin relocated..

I bought a set of springs from posies that were a bolt in and were set up for a different axle.. (for my 47 chevy coupe)

I cant recall exactly but i think they were less than 230

5. ...for shackles, try thefillingstation.com

6. twilloug

twilloug
    from Omaha

So an update on the springs and shackles.

I ordered the shackles from Rockauto for $53 shipped for both sides. I had found them at Napa but called Napa and he said his chasis supplier wasn't making these anymore. (they were $28/each at napa) Ordered and received in two days.

The springs I did end up getting from JCWhitney. Ordered on the 21st and just got them yesterday on the 25th. I was suprised how quick they got here.

Next step is to take the axle out and fix pinion seal, repaint and put back under the car.

7. Rich T

Rich T
    from Michigan

Any chance I could get the part # of the springs you got from JC whitney I need a set for my 41 sedan. Also not to hijack your thread but does anybody know how far the center pin locatoin has to move for a non stock rear end (forward or back)

8. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Actually, all that needs to be done to center the rear in the fender is redrill the hole in the mount on the rearend to allow it to slide about an inch or so forward.

9. knotheads

knotheads

i bought a whole shackle set for a 1941 chevy pick up from Egge Machine . i think they are still located in Santa Fe Springs Ca.

10. twilloug

twilloug
    from Omaha

The part # is 21-165. I believe the measurements were 1 3/4" wide and 49" eye to eye.

Not sure about the spring bolt, and relocating the axle.

11. Rich T

Rich T
    from Michigan

Thanks for the information, I was having trouble finding it on the website

12. redsdad

redsdad

http://www.chassisengineeringinc.com/page27.html

I got the AS-1019CG for my 41. Very nice. One thing you have to remember about the stock springs, they were only designed to hold the car up. The torque tube controlled the axle rotation. The CE kit has wider springs designed to not only hold the car up but control torque as well. Comes complete with gas charged shocks. It also centers the wheel in the fender opening. Just my $0.02.

13. gcpc007

gcpc007

I battled this issue for 4 months as someone had de-arched and re-bent my stock rear springs and used a newer axle. I couldn't pop for the CE kit at this time and after talking with another great guy on here I finally ordered some new stock springs from St. Louis Spring Company for $98 each. They are going to lower them 3" so the car doesn't sit so high and the CE kit actually lowers the car 4" so we felt this was a good compromise. I was going to order them from JCW but they gave me a delivery date 3-4 weeks out from the order date which told me they needed to have someone make them. St. Louis makes them and could give me the drop with no problem. The original springs are not center punched but rather offset a little bit. I just have to make my own upper shock mounts and should be back on the road in another week. I'm surprised you got the JCW springs so quickly as I just tried to order mine on Tuesday and was surprised by the lead time. Keep us up to date on how easy yours slide in and if you have to change anything. I know I have to order some new axle bumpers as mine are gone and they are $38 each at Chevs of the 40s and it's the only place I found that listed them. I ordered some others off ebay that are close to the same measurements as mine for $10 for the pair and with all the fab work I'm doing what's another small job?

14. twilloug

twilloug
    from Omaha

I know this is kind of an old post but just an update on the springs. I swear I looked at the springs last year when they arrived but I went to install and they are too short. Trying to return them to JCWhitney now. Have to look into the options everyone mentioned on this post.

15. gcpc007

gcpc007

I ended up getting new springs from St. Louis Spring within a week and they actually did me a 2" drop and they fit like a glove! Cost me about $249 with shipping to Cincinnati.

16. twilloug

twilloug
    from Omaha

Re: 41 Chevy Coupe leaf springs

<HR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #e5e5e5; COLOR: #e5e5e5" SIZE=1>I ended up getting new springs from St. Louis Spring within a week and they actually did me a 2" drop and they fit like a glove! Cost me about $249 with shipping to Cincinnati.

gcpc007
    Not sure what springs I have now. Talking to my dad he thought they might have relocated the front spring mount. Can you give them measurements and have them make them? I am going by a suspension shop tomorrow to see what they will charge.

Do you know what the eye to eye measurements were on your springs? The springs I took off were 52" eye to eye.

17. gcpc007

gcpc007

It's been a while since I did all the changes I'd have to go out and measure, but they knew the measurements without any issues. They just asked me if I wanted stock height or wanted to lower the car any amount and they made the springs based on that. I know they are 1-3/4" wide and 50 something long. Shoot them an email or give them a call..they were extremely easy to deal with.
    http://www.saintlouisspring.com/

If you want to go a different route you can call Chassis Engineering and buy their kit for about $600 or so and you get newer style springs and it will relocate the wheels about 1" rearward which puts them in the center of the fender where they belong. Of course that means a new longer driveshaft too. I will eventually make a new spring perch and move mine back the 1" so I have better luck with different wheel and tire combos. My 17" wheels and tires rubbed and I had to go back to the 15" ones for now. All that will happen when I switch out the tranny for a 700r4.

18. chubbie

chubbie

I changed my springs out in 1968 so i don't remember the details. I used '57 chevy springs and made rear shackels. used lowering blocks to move the axle back 2 inches. this will get rid of the strange set up they used. don't use the '41 set up if you go with an open drive shaft, KISs!!

19. boogeracng

boogeracng
    from Eureka,MO

St. Louis Spring has factory spec/dimension sheets for probably 99.5% of all American cars and trucks back as far as the early '30's. I've used them for at least 6 sets for my Willys projects, as have several others. Their "bread and butter" trade is for heavy trucks, but they are more than equipped and happy to work with you for your classic, hot rod, or whatever. Talk to Jim.....he's ALWAYS busy, both with the shop as well as the telephones and public counter, so he may be a bit abrupt and brief, but it's only because he's busy. Good luck.......

20. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

21. twilloug

twilloug
    from Omaha

I emailed St. Louis Spring and you were right they new the dimensions for a 41 chevy as well as 55 oldsmobile. Unfortunately, my current springs match neither. I am currently trying to send the stock springs back to JCWhitney and get my money back and then I will have to ship one of my old springs to St. Louis spring company so they can fab them.

The spring perch and mounting plate have been redrilled for these springs, so I guess I don't see the use in moving the pin from the location it is in now. (The pin location on the perch moved forward about an 1" and in slightly about an 1/4".)

The measurements for a stock 41 chevy are as follows:
    1 3/4" x 23 1/8 x 25 7/8 (49" long)
    The measurements for 55 olds are:
    2 1/2" x 25 x 33 (58" long)

My springs measurements:
    1 3/4" x 25 1/8" x 28 7/8" (~54" eye to eye) Not sure what this came out of?

Have to look and see whether I want it lowered at all. I would think new springs will sit very tall. Maybe drop 2".

22. Dyce

Dyce

I used the stock springs with lowering blocks and it worked ok until I put 4.11 gears in the rear end. Then the axle would wind up and hit the floor. The stock springs don't take much torque. I put the CE springs under my '40 Chevy and have less lowering block and the car sits lower.

23. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

SLAM it! :D

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ro4yhp9L6Ok?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

24. twilloug

twilloug
    from Omaha

Here is a pic of what the rear sat like when we picked the car up at the farm. Talking with my dad about the springs and he said they used to run spring assisted shocks to help out the "torque" on the axle. Probably do that as well. (The front of car is sitting high b/c no motor in car.)

He also said they used to run the shackles "down" instead of up inside the rear mount. Still waiting to hear from JCWhitney on springs. Anyone need a set of 41 chevy stock springs.

Attached Files:

25. blucar

blucar

In reviewing this thread I have noted that most of the info supplied has been incorrect.
    In reviewing the pic supplied with the original posting I noted that the car in question has a V8 engine, it would be a natural assumption that the trans is an automatic.
    All Chevy's through '54 have a torque tube drive line. The stock type rear springs are designed to work in conjunction with a torque tube. When a torque tube is replaced with an open drive line, the rear springs must be replaced.
    With an original style of spring the car will have a lot of axle wrap and/or porpoising which will effect the handling of the car.
    Posie (717 566-3340) makes a replacement rear spring for the Chevy's that will solve the problem.
    My brother has a '54 Chevy 2dr that we modified with a V8, AT and disk front brakes. The car was not drivable on the highway over 55 mph. After a lot of hype from a lot of people I called POSIE, we replaced the rear springs with a set of POSIE Super Slide Springs, the car now drives perfect, cruising at 75 mph with no problems.

26. twilloug

twilloug
    from Omaha

It looks like Posie springs (not the kits) are made to mount in the stock front and rear spring mounts. If that is the case, are they still 1 3/4" wide? So what makes them stronger than stock springs if they have the same dimensions?

BTW, the car has a 283 SBC and a muncie 4 speed.

27. Hawaiianstyle

Hawaiianstyle

Twilloug,
    Post #2 hit it on the nose a year ago. Call the guys over at Chevs of the 40's. They have everything you could want for a 41 Chevy.

http://www.chevsofthe40s.com/

28. twilloug

twilloug
    from Omaha

Anyone know what the leaf dimensions for a 49-54 chevy are? I saw somewhere online that those are ~54" eye to eye and am hoping those are what I have. It makes shopping a lot easier if you know what you got.

Also, I was thinking if I had ST Louis spring make them, any thoughts on making them wider? The spring I have now the front bushing sticks out an extra 3/4-1". Could I use a wider spring with stock mount on the front and then rework the shackle in the back? Just a thought.

I really shouldn't have too much torque with a 283 and muncie 4spd with 3.23 gears.

29. twilloug

twilloug
    from Omaha

Just found dimensions for 49-54 Chevy car leaf springs and they match mine. Nice! Found them at TheSuspensionKing.com. Now I just need to decide whether to order from St. Louis Spring, Posies, or other.

I think I am going to lower a couple inches as well.

30. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

"Drop it like it's hot"