Register now to get rid of these ads!

Remember Your First Model Car?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jimmitchell70, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Deuces

Deuces

Sorry, no scanner. :( I'll have to dig to find that copy.. I moved in this house like 20 years ago and I'm still not done unpacking.. DOH! :rolleyes:

2. Deuces

Deuces

Getting back on track here, I've been fiddling with these 2 kits this morning plus I've been gathering some parts from other Revell kits like the '68 Vette kit to build a blown big block Nova.. This should be a cool one when finished.. :) I just love kitbashing model cars. :D

Attached Files:

3. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

Nice,
    then after you do the 1/24 scale 'kitbashing',
    you can do it in full size, :D
    it is cheaper in 1/24 scale though,
    I cant seem to find the time to build a model anymore,
    too busy collecting real ones

4. Deuces

Deuces

I already had 3 of the real ones (No Yenkos) in the early 80's... So, building one of these would be a no brainer.. ;)

5. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

Yenko's are the same price as a house, :eek:
    too bad we didnt know back then what we do now,
    we'd all bought and stored muscle cars of all flavors..
    which brings us back to ,,, models.. :cool:

6. SOCAL PETE

SOCAL PETE
    from Ramona CA

That was my first one also!!

7. Dad and I built a black '40 Ford Coupe with white-to-yellow-orange and red flames. s I insisted the chrome wheels from the tractor trailor kit would look best. So, we tucked them up under the fenders as my four year old self mandated. So, I guess I put DUBS on a '40 and slammed it way back in the winter of '79! The 2nd was the big scale General Lee. Yeeeeehaaa.

8. Deuces

Deuces

....... And they're alot cheaper too!! :D

9. Deuces

Deuces

I decided to go with the L-89 3 x 2 intake instead of using the blower assembly.. I'll also use a spare set of Torq-Thrust mags I have laying around and some redlines! :D

10. Sonny Depalma

Sonny Depalma
    Member Emeritus

Mine was Mr Gasser the first in a series of ED Roth models inspired me to take up art. Man that old Testers glue melted a few brain cells!

11. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

I loved that smell,, toluene I think it was,
    used to take two models and cover with glue then set aflame,
    then smash together to resemble a crash,,,
    or heat up a needle and poke holes to mimic bullet holes,
    ahh the memories,

12. Deuces

Deuces

It helps to have propper ventilation.... Yeah right! :D

13. ~~Walts37~~

~~Walts37~~
    from Missouri

My first car was a 1931 Chev 4 door sedan Paid $35.00 so had to pay it off in payments. My friends & I would drag the gut of our local town till we ran out of gas then it would sit till someone came up with a quarter to buy another gal of gas. Then drive that gallon out and sit till another quarter showed up. Drove that car to the local junk yard with no low gear due to pulling crappers over with it on Halloween night & sold it for $7.00. That was a great car. ~~Walts37~~

14. ratfink56

ratfink56

1932 Ford roadster. AMT I think. Built it stone stock and black.

15. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

:confused: ummm, we're talkin MODEL cars here,,

16. My first model kit was the same as my dad's first model kit. When my granddad died in 1980, my dad was throwing away boxes of his old model kit parts to get ready to move my grandmother into an apartment. I was fascinated with all the models, so to get me to go away, he gave me what was left of this '58 Chevy 3-in-1 annual kit.

It turns out, this was also his very first 1/25th-scale model kit when he got it new in 1958.

Over the years, I played with it, wrecked it, and rebuilt it a million times. But in spite of my temptations to ruin it with a new paint job like I did to most everything else when I was younger, it still has the original brush-on cinnamon paint and flame decals that dad put on it more than 50 years ago.

I've got better than 2,000 models now, and even though this one will never win any contests, it will always be one of my favorites. :)

[​IMG]

17. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

Very cool story, and the car is very cool too Revoh,
    thanks for sharing

18. Deuces

Deuces

Never let that one go!!

19. jimmitchell70

jimmitchell70
    from CT

Great tale, Revoh.
    That is a kick-butt paint and flame job!

20. lordairgtar

lordairgtar

I saw a Boot Hill car at Volo Auto Museum a couple of years ago. They also had a stack of the model kits for sale and I bought one.
    My first model though was a 61 Mercury annual kit. My grandfather got it for me and I built it and painted it bright red with some enamel paint gramps had in his work shop. I remember going home with it and sleeping with it for weeks until it just one day disappeared. I was about 6 or 7 years old. Somewhere I have a small pic of me working on my second kit, a 57 T-bird Craftsman kit...I painted that one green metallic from the little Testor's bottle.

21. espo35

espo35
    BANNED
    from california

The first one I remember was a 1962 Thunderbird Sport Roadster. Coincidentally, it looked just like the one in my avatar.....

Last edited: Feb 11, 2011
  22. ToddJ

ToddJ
    from Marion, IA

My first ever model kit(that I actually built by myself) was the Tom Daniel designed California 'Vette. My next kit was the Super Zingers "Slightly Altered' '57 Vette.

23. Deuces

Deuces

AMT has another newer '62 Bird kit.... I wonder if it's the same kit or a newly tooled one???

24. 390Merc

390Merc
    from Indiana

Actually got 2 at the same time: A Gremlin funny car and the "Popcorn Wagon"

25. My49Plymouth

My49Plymouth

26. Not really H.A.M.B. friendly, but certainly old.
    The stamping on the bottom of the Cadillac says "Gowland and Gowland Copyright 1952". Not sure what scale these are, but they are somewhat smaller than 1:25.
    These three were actually built by my Mom back in the 50s.
    She used to build lots of model cars and ships back then. She had the good sense not to actually give them to me until I was an adult.
    She did give me an unbuilt one (very similar to the black "T" (?) sedan) when I was 16 or 17. I remember building a hot rod version using leftover wheels, lakes pipes and other spare parts from my Revell and AMT kits. I remember filling all the seams where the two halves of the body joined. Think I painted it candy blue with a white interior. Might even still have it in my box of old models that are stored somewhere.

Attached Files:

27. slammed

slammed

Black Beards Tub!

28. I'm pretty sure mine was a JoHan, 1960 Dodge Dart 3 in 1. I think I built it as a mild custom, white with gold or red "scallop" decals. I was layed up at age 12 (1960) after surgery and hated baseball on TV. And so, an addiction was born.........I'd buy one now if I found one. I have a closet full of kits and parts cars for "someday". I was a kit-basher, taking 2-3 kits and mixing parts to make customs, gassers, and unusual body-motor combos. Like; a Square-bodied Rambler American on a Corvette chassis. I used aluminum tubing for exhaust, thread for wiring, and cut up old shirts for upholstery. Even then I built cars that may have been seen on the streets.

29. I have a few of those my dad built. They were the very first plastic model kits ever offered as far as I know.

30. lanny haas

lanny haas
    from Phoenix AZ

it was in 1958, the 58 Edsel....and Im still buliding them, never really stopped....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Deuces likes this.