Register now to get rid of these ads!

Why is cruising dead???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Zombie 51, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Lead by example maybe if a kid sees a group of lowriders or customs cruising they will think it's cool and want to join in. Invite some kids you know to go cruising with you!

In the meantime let's just enjoy this clip as the Japanese understand the true meaning of cruising!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PH831OB7eTY&feature=player_embedded

2. Hot Rod Elvis

Hot Rod Elvis

Ya know I got to thinking....almost weekly, I see some flyer about a poker/charity ride with motorcycles. Why don't they do one with cars??? Have 3 or 4 destinations, a start time and donate to a charity if you want or toys or something. It can be free.

3. Okay...

I did not read the thread from the start so if it has already been mentioned sorry?

The cell phone killed cruising, how you ask? When I was a kid we had no way to find anyone. I mean hell, you went to school or work, it is Friday or Saturday night right?

How do you meet up with your friends? How do you find out where the action is? Your parents will not allow you to tie up the phone aimlessly (rotary land line).

You hit the streets and meet up and....well

The computer you are using right now helped kill cruising also....

:confused:

4. choptvan

choptvan

Workin on it here in CO. We will have a toy drive organized by next fall for sure. Different destinations, and donation boxes all over the city. Even a show that requires toys for an enterance fee. Got to do it in the fall here though. Or noone would show up. Also doin a reliability run up the side of pikes peak sometime in the late summer. We are doin it cuz we are the only group that could really do it. We live right at the foot of it. So why not?

5. Greezeball

Greezeball

True but I keep my skateboard in the trunk of my chevy. I'll be 40 in about 6 weeks! We gen Xers got the best of both worlds grew up pre Internet and cel phones but also at the dawn of the PC. I've been on the net since '93 and have had a cel phone almost as long. I still cruise every chance I get! Drinkin' beer was never an issue since I was allowed at home from the age of 14 so it was never "something to get away with". In highschool if you had a car you had to have a CB.
    We also used to do something else, call me retarded if you like but I still do it sometimes and the wife laughs at me, it's what I call "window cruisin'". You find a nice block of store fronts and cruise by nice n slow and you get to see your car in motion. Works best at night. Am I the only nut job that does this? An old timer showed me this when I used to drive his drunk ass around in his Duece 5 window. Ha ha! He'd make me do this one block over and over!

6. Hahahaha I do this to. Thought I was the only one!

7. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

I don't know him, but I've only lived here about 7 years.

Have you been here recently? They've spruced up Main Street a bit, it's fun to cruise the square at night under the vintage hotel neon and look at your car from the reflection of all the shop windows.

Maybe "blip" the throttle in between the buildings for a little echo? :D

8. Greezeball

Greezeball

Ya! Window cruisin'!

9. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

I'm telling you, it's really cool at night. With all the neon, it's like we have a little slice of Vegas right here.

10. Greezeball

Greezeball

Ok that tears it I'm going to start another thread on window cruisin' just so we don't 'jack this thread.

11. smarg

smarg

That could be a cool picture thread dude.

I will have to start snapping pictures when were out and about at night.

12. A Duece Bruce

A Duece Bruce

When I was in high school we used to cruise 4th st. in San Raphael. If you had a car you WERE the social network. The cars were full of bored kids hanging out the windows, partying and looking cool. In those times there wasn't so much to do as there is now. Tv wasn't much, we got out of the house and listened to the radio and cruised to see and meet people. And show off! The whole country was hotrod crazy. It was an expression of freedom and power. Now it's the Multi-universe out there. Cars are only part of it. But when you cruise now, people still love to see the cars and meet people. They just don't grab it and make it they're own like we did. Too much going on in cyberspace. Too much corporate pressure to buy one of the millions of new cars. Give 'em a ride whenever you get the chance! Cruising is still a Gas around here.

13. rosco gordy

rosco gordy

You guys stay away from minnesota, hey I can still spelled oops, well our nites are so big they spread them out to the subs fri sat and usually every nite some where and free food at some of the smaller ones with a car stay on the west coast its warmer we are too full now!!!! but the world famous Porky will suck this year!! poss done

14. espo35

espo35
    BANNED
    from california

:rolleyes:

Sorry, man...I don't speak minnesotan....

15. KooDaddy

KooDaddy
    from Wis.

Thats cool we used to call our cruise spot in Milwaukee Wi. the AVE as in Wisconsin Avenue, oh the good old days. We even went up and down it in the winter. ah yes the Ave.

16. MBog

MBog

I wish just paid $1.35 per litre which is $5.22 gallon...

17. firingorder1

firingorder1

Its dead because we now have more than 4 channels on the TV.

18. hell I thought everyone did that. Sometimes I get out and walk to see how cool I look. :eek:

19. dseale4888

dseale4888

Lake George, N.Y. the weekend after Labor Day for the Adirondack Nationals. Cruisin' the main drag 24 hours a day and almost 2000 cars in the show grounds. Open headers and slicks OK, just no burnouts or side by side accelleration. I've been going the past 4 years and it's a blast. Cruise my car a few passes and the pull out the lawn chairs and watch the others cruise. Check web site: adirondacknationals.com
    Dave

Last edited: Feb 11, 2011
  20. Straightpipes

Straightpipes

Lake George is sure a good time but it's not "cruising". It's more of a cruise in. Cruising doesn't involve lawn chars. I guess you would have to have been around in the day. Anyway, thats gone forever.........

21. BeatnikPirate

BeatnikPirate
    from Media, Pa.

Cruisin' ain't dead. Reports of it's demise are greatly exagerated.

Attached Files:

22. studematt

studematt

Yep. What he said.

23. Bobert

Bobert
    Member Emeritus

It died because all us old guys are no longer trolling for chicks. Young kids text and so on.

24. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Man, that's Mickey Mouse Cruizin'! It's not the same. There used to be real cruizin all over SoCal once upon a time. Van Nuys, Whittier, E.L.A., Bellflower, just to name a few. Don't confuse "Cruize Nite" with "real" Cruizin'

25. glassguyOC

glassguyOC
    from O.C.

I still cruise the Nomad almost every weekend down to Newport and back. I wont stop.

26. craigmack068

craigmack068

27. nexxussian

nexxussian

We cruise every Thursday night durring the summer.

We have other cruises durring summer too, the longer distance ones are usually on the weekends (ie over 35 miles one way).

Admittedly not likely quite the same as what the OP had in mind, but it's what we do.

FWIW, I've heard suggested, and made the same myself, if you want to cruise, call a few like minded people, and go.

The airplane crowd call that a "$100 hamburger" run (if you fly), admitedly cheaper to drive. :D

28. choptop kid

choptop kid

im ashamed of my generation . no one see's cars as a part of your life , just a tool for transportation . my favorite part of the day is cold cranking my truck over till it chokes into life and boosting the decibles from the belly burners . ive yet to be warned about "cruisin" by any police officer but im gonna (respectfully) cruise up 15th and tennant way till they take away my bias plies .

29. Pat Pryor

Pat Pryor

video games and facebook. and i cant bleve no one knows why. its so kids can hangout with out leaving there house. and no guy wants to cruse without a bunch of chicks walking the streets looking for somthing to do. so try cruising facebook. :mad:

30. Cyclone GT

Cyclone GT

I'm too old to cruise!