Register now to get rid of these ads!

Full Service Station

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by adamshumard, Feb 9, 2011.

1. adamshumard

adamshumard

Are there any left anywhere? I'm 27 and I remember there being a few in town when I was young. I wondered if there were any at all anymore.

2. are you looking for a job ? confused . times have changed .

3. low merc51

low merc51

20 yrs since the last one was around here !!

4. the other me

the other me

YES. There is one on 28th street in Grand Rapids Michigan!!! I'm not sure what the cross street name is, but I was shocked when I saw it. I was up there a couple months ago to pick up some parts I had bought, and to my suprise there it was. It was great to see. I actually puled in and had the attendant fill up my truck...not that I was that low, but that I just wanted to do it!!! Cool stuff.

5. lordairgtar

lordairgtar

I think New Jersey only allows full service. I knew the city of West Milwaukee required them to be full serve but that was changed. When I ran the two New Horizon stations in Cali, they were full service. My choice! Met a lot of nice ladies that way.

6. kenseth17

kenseth17

There are still a few around here, at least where they come out and pump your gas for you (not sure if any actually do the check tires, oil, wash windows ect anymore. One down the road from where I work, at progressive farmers, If you park at a certain pump, this old bugger will come out and pump your gas. Also know there is another one in Green Bay somewhere, cause was shocked when I got out of my truck once and there is some guy coming out to pump my gas for me. I actually would prefer to pump my own gas anyways, kind of like doing things myself whenever I can (moved all my stuff from my old house to my new one in october, cept had to have my brother help with the washer and dryer because that was just too heavy, and a real joy to get down in the basement).

7. worked at one of the last full service gas station in our area back in the early 80's. can remember trying to align a 3 speed tranny into place and hearing the little "ding" of a gas customer pulling up to the pump. what a pain... stop what your doing put in $8 worth of gas, check the oil, clean the windshield and then go back to what you were doing.

8. cheveey57

cheveey57

Not full service, they will not let anyone pump gas except an employee. evidently they believe it's dangerous & that people are idiots..............Well at least they have part of it right.

9. GREASER815

GREASER815

We have 2 left sround here. Far and few between anymore.

10. rjaustin421

rjaustin421

In the small town on Long Island I lived in for years, Sound Beach, there is an independent service station named Matt's One Stop with 4 pumps, 4 full service bays and they do everything from light to heavy work. The owners son has a body shop 200 yards down the road with the same name and they turn out good work. Both locations are extremely well maintained inside & out and they support local activities.

Last of a dying breed.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 10, 2011
  11. Support!

12. pool

pool

Here ya are. Lyman Bott and son in Moundville Mo. I try to catch it every year on the way to the h.a.m.b. drags full service and a real trip back in time.

Attached Files:

• 044.jpg
      044.jpg
      File size:
      415.8 KB
      Views:
    • 045.jpg
      045.jpg
      File size:
      462.5 KB
      Views:
    • 046.jpg
      046.jpg
      File size:
      458.5 KB
      Views:
  13. Garry Carter

Garry Carter

Spent a couple of years working at Kyle Waggoner's Full Service Texaco in Saint Jo, TX back in the late `50's - early `60's. Did the whole thing for prices that averaged less than 20 cents a gallon. Checked the oil, water, belts, hoses, and air pressure; washed the windshield using a chamois ... and did car washes and oil changes to round out the day.

I've often thought of opening a full-service station in some high-zoot neighborhood where the ladies wouldn't mind paying a premium for not having to smell like gas when they pulled in for a filll-up.

14. retro54

retro54
    from PA

The one my grandmother went to the last one in Middletown, PA... it closed last year... I am her 'full service' station now.. taking her car once a week to the pumps for a fill-up, and I don't mind one bit.

15. VERY few around here, I worked at one of the last in my area (from pumping gas in school to turning wrenches).....a texaco to boot (not many around here also). I even thought about taking it over after the owner retired but the company did like the repair part, they really only wanted a food mart and gas.

16. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

We have one in Salina. A Sinclair station with the big dinosaur. It is ran by an outfit that trains people with disabilities.

17. lowrd

lowrd

Out here on the left coast, Oregon still has attendants at the pumps. No self service.
    It isn't really full service as I recall during my last trip, but it is nice to have someone take care of you. It's also employment for some folks who may need it.

18. spooler41

spooler41

A friend of mine has a full service Shell station here in Port Angeles ,Wash. It's on the corner of Lincoln and 5th. Pauls Classic Shell is the only full service station that I'm aware of in this area,He has 3 repair bays ,does oil changes,minor and major repair work,brakes,tune ups,sells tires and batterys. Truly a old time service station and a pleasure to experience.
    ...........Jack

19. Docfranknstein

Docfranknstein

I ran My Station here in Boron as a full service station untill I closed 2 years ago ( turned out the site was contaminated), ran it with the help of My Wife and Kids, and yeah nothing was worse than work'in alone and fixing someone's tire or be in the middle of an oil change and have to stop to pump a few bux worth of gas , give directions, or pose for pictures and listen to " anybody ever tell You that You look like Elvis?" My reply " almost every day, so thank You thank You very much", but I do miss it. Von Doc

20. I worked at one in Pismo Beach, Ca during college. Was kinda fun...got to talk to people about their cars or just normal stuff. Was a 76 station, I still have my uniform. That was from 2002-2005. I got to fix tires from all the people from the dunes.....got some crazy late night stories. I worked the 4pm-12am shift.

21. dirt slinger

dirt slinger

There's one here on main street in Fayetteville, TN. There used to be another but apparently the owner got lazy. I have definitely noticed a drop in their business.

22. pecker head

pecker head

Roy French TEXACO in Corsicana TEXAS , full service .

23. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

We have one left here in Olympia.

24. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

I drive a sprinter van cross country for a living.
    There are actually quite a few still out there. Mostly in "Mayberry" type small towns, scattered across the country.
    The most memorable one for me personally was a Sinclair station in a small town about 20 miles from Devils Tower in Wyoming... The real deal! They even had an old 50's ford up on the rack when I was there.

Honorable mention goes to the sinclair station in Wisconsin Dells, Wisconsin. It's not full service, but it's a tourist town. They have a GIANT dinosaur [60 feet tall], and you walk between it's front legs to go into the shop! :p

[​IMG]

25. Yep, 2 of them in downtown Clarksville.

26. adamshumard

adamshumard

I've also tossed around the idea of opening one. I think it would be packed all the time. And just plain cool to exist.

27. Edina Minnesota,70th and France.Sinclair if I remember.Full sevice and three bay shop.Gas price is the same as across the street at the conveniance store and self serve gas.

28. Deuces

Deuces

I worked at a TEXACO on Greenfield Rd. in Dearborn back in the mid to late '70's... We used to have gas wars with the station across the street. All in the name of saving a penny er 2 per gallon..:rolleyes: I had to do it all.. Wash windows and check the oil.. Thursdays and Fridays the cars were lined up half a block down the street waiting to get filled up. It sucked during the winter 'cause you never got a break to warm up inside or grab a bite to eat.. The only cool thing about it was that I met alot of gals while working there... :D :)

29. Four Banger

Four Banger

Only one left here in Boise. Dick's Chevron, on State Street. Same guy and same location since about 1966, I think. Dick is a long time circle track racer, and all around great guy!

30. There was one in Midland Park, NJ. Citgo I think it was. It was there till about 2009. High school kids came out filled up your car, washed your windows and offered to check your oil.

Place was always packed.