Register now to get rid of these ads!

Steel 32 ford 3 window rebuild

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Crafty B, Jan 24, 2009.

1. jerseyboy

jerseyboy

Is this what you're picturing?
    [​IMG]

2. Crafty B

Crafty B

yes Jersey...exactly
    I ventured out to the shop and did get some work done, I have been struggling with the rear valance due to being hacked, welded, leaded, bent and just a mess, I got it pretty much staightened out and now I can now start thinking about the rolled pan... Im liking the louvers a little more now that the back is shaping up. Im useing my max bullet taillights but not sure where they will end up.. what you guys think of the wheel?
    CB

Attached Files:

3. daddio211

daddio211

Your talent simply amazes me over and over and over.

You asked about the wheel so I'll give ya my .02. I'm not feeling it. To me and my narrow little mind hubcaps are for customs, not for hot rods. Again, this is my mindset, not in any way to influence the actual finished product. I'd love to see the center piece alone, tucked into lug nuts as far as possible with a painted wheel and no trim ring.

4. Crafty B

Crafty B

Im hoping to make it look like a old racing wheel not a hubcap, I need to think on it some more.
    CB

5. Clam shell louvers are the only way to go for the vintage look, otherwise they look like they belong on a locker in the school gym! Whichever version of those hub caps will be killer, but I like the smaller hub cover ones better.

6. daddio211

daddio211

You're certainly a better judge of the style than I, but for an old racing wheel I think the cover comes out too far to begin with. I'm thinking late 40's belly tanks with flat aluminum discs, way before Dean Moon made his $$$. Do you have a particular race car you're thinking of for inspiration to help me along?

His username escapes me at the moment, but the HAMB'er running the Packard caps on his Model A comes to mind for me. I know you're not going that direction, but that's the only car I can think of with something along these lines.

You really don't need to bother with my comments. I'm just a guy in his garage building what I can with limited tools and even more limited skills. Your vision, skill and talent are astounding. I'm sure whatever you come up with will work perfectly with the overall package.

7. Crafty B

Crafty B

I like the looks of this wheel...anyone have a set.. haha
    cb

Attached Files:

• 008.jpg
      008.jpg
      File size:
      466.5 KB
      Views:
  8. daddio211

daddio211

I know someone by the name of Craft B that could make you a full set. The guy is amazing!

9. alchemy

alchemy

Yeah, I think this is the natural progression of your project. Make some wheels, but make them your own. Don't copy a Halibrand, but make it of the same style/era.

10. Almorenoldo

Almorenoldo

Wauw !!

You must one of the best builders out there, and it´s a true pleasure following the birth of a future classic rod !
    Espescially all the castings details are putting you in a completely different leage.
    the craftsmannship is outstanding, you got my deepest respect (and envy)

Tone it down a little will you. You are making the rest of us look like f...... amateuers :)

Allan, KillerBobbers Copenhagen

PS Sorry for my poor english, I live on the other side of the pond.

11. Crafty B

Crafty B

wow!! thanks for the kind words Allan and your english is better than mine... hehe

CB

12. HommerSimpson

HommerSimpson

Very very Talented man you are...Must be something in the water.. My grandfather was from grand rapids... You related to any Caverlys ? LOL....
    Very nice work... cant wait to see it done...
    Im still all giggly about that steering arm and that was pages and pages ago.. It looks so.. so... well just the way you wanted it... Factory...

13. Kirk - the car is looking great! I'll have to stop in the shop next time I'm in town!

14. Crafty B

Crafty B

little more progress..check out the panel I cut out!!this baby was CHANNELED at one time. I got the truck lid squared up and rebuilt the hinge pins..now it fit's pretty good all the way around. I cut a pile of garbage out of the inner wheel area's and started rebuilding the subfloor area.

CB

Attached Files:

15. daddio211

daddio211

Man, isn't it fun finding little pieces of history hidden in a car when you build it? I've never cared for channeled rods, just my thing I guess, but coming across evidence like that just makes your day!

16. AA/Fuel34fordpu

AA/Fuel34fordpu

I guess I live under a rock because this is the first time I saw this thread....WOW!!!!!

17. Crafty B

Crafty B

off to the shop..hope to get something figured out on the rolled pan area

CB

18. Crafty B

Crafty B

well it's a start...man Im having trouble sorting out this rear area, I want to run a small louvered panel under the rear area so I got one corner kinda roughed in as a starting point. I like the frame extensions so they will stay and be boxed on both sides and capped on the edge. That's all I have for now....

CB
    Crafty B Nostalgic Speed
    www.crafty-b.com

Attached Files:

19. Looks great! Is the fuel tank in the trunk? (too lazy to go back and look in the thread myself :))

20. Crafty B

Crafty B

Here is the future tank, I think they are couple of military nose cones off of something dangerous. oh ya it will go in the trunk along with a nos sw fuel pump and a military surplus filter. Im going to semi flush mount a pair of my gas cap..one on each side on the upper quarter panels.
    CB

Attached Files:

21. Crafty B

Crafty B

plan b on the hiney of the 32... I'll post more pic's later this one is from my phone.

CB

Attached Files:

22. Redz Rodz

Redz Rodz

plan b is lookin' real good ,hey what's a few more louvers going to hurt !!! keep up the work crafty !! and i say yes on building a set of wheels for that car deserves em' !!

23. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Crafty, The coupe is looking Great ! Not a Deuce kind of guy. It will be one sharp rod when completed. Is you goal to make Bonneville this year ?

Dave

24. Crafty B

Crafty B

I did just the 4 rows for today, I might do something down the center of the panel. I sat and looked at the back of this car for hours and had a couple different idea's but I think I like this so far.

CB

Attached Files:

25. Crafty B

Crafty B

I may change the holes in the side, I was thinking about making a finned aluminum plate that would fit over the side plate?

Attached Files:

26. Crafty B

Crafty B

worked on the alumimun side plate today and after what seemed like a week I decided on where the tailight would go..

CB

Attached Files:

27. Gassy

Gassy
    from Tennessee

Crafty,
    Your work is absolutely fabulous. I need to visit my old hometown of Holland then I would be nearby to drool in person.
    Gassy

28. Crafty B

Crafty B

Stop by Gassy!!! Im only 30 minutes from Holland

Thanks for the nice comment!
    Crafty

29. MR. FORD

MR. FORD
    from Austin, TX

The dash and switch panel are amazing.... I look forward to more progress.

30. Crafty, I love your sense of design. I would call it "retro industrial art decor". But definitely the craftmanship is a work of art.