Register now to get rid of these ads!

1951 Nash Rambler Build Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by D_Lazaris, Oct 11, 2010.

1. D_Lazaris

D_Lazaris
    from So. Cal

Beep Beep! I have to listen to this song when I'm working on the Nash in the shop!! I still don't know if I am going to chop it or not, just some late night thinking. I do love the original lines of the car, that was the reason that I bought the car! I am going to lower the car though no matter what, not kissing the road but lower.

For the color I am stuck between the original color and this color I found on a Nash postcard, maybe not AS RED as the roof in the picture, but something like this~~~

[​IMG]

2. D_Lazaris

D_Lazaris
    from So. Cal

UPDATE!!!

Well I went through the tranny cleaned it up... which took 4 cans of cleaner and two days chiseling but it is now ready to go!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also I made a block off plate for the fuel pump. I am going to be running an electric fuel pump.

[​IMG]

3. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Cool...like what you're doing with it...post some pix of the flathead rail in the background too.:D

4. D_Lazaris

D_Lazaris
    from So. Cal

5. farna

farna

Good, you still have the exhaust pipe brace on the right side! That's very important to keep the pipe clamped to the block from cracking at the rear of the block where it turns down. If you have any trouble with the OD working let me know! I'm pretty familiar with it.

6. D_Lazaris

D_Lazaris
    from So. Cal

Thanks! I will deff. be calling for you if it doesn't work!

7. D_Lazaris

D_Lazaris
    from So. Cal

Update! Update!

I got the tranny hooked up to the engine. Got the starter hooked up. Just waiting on the generator to be finished getting converted to 12v... But that's a different story :/

So once I get the generator on there I will build the headers and rebuild the carbs and i will finally be able to start it! Then I will work on the supercharger...

[​IMG]

8. its nice to see non traditional rides

9. farna

farna

Now I'm very interested in how you're going to hook up the McCullough supercharger. Blowing through the carbs looks easiest, so I'm assuming that's the plan. As long as you keep the boost down to 6 psi or less you should be okay with the carbs. Anything higher than that will require a lot of carb work to prevent too much air leaking out. You will need solid foam floats anyway, I think, not sure the original hollow brass will tolerate even 5-6 psi.

5 psi should give you about a 25% boost in hp, from the stock 85 hp to around 106 hp. The dual carb head and a good exhaust will gain maybe another 10 hp tops, so you will be in the 110-120 hp range. But remember -- that's GROSS hp and at 3800 rpm (stock hp was at 3800). So compared to new cars you're looking at 77-85 hp. A 2012 Honda Civic has 140 hp, but don't let the numbers get you down! That old Nash six is ready to pull away at idle! Try that with a stick-shift Honda and you'll choke the little engine down right away. From experience I can tell you that the old Nash L-head will chug off without a problem as long as you're on a level surface and the engine is warmed up to full operating temp. It doesn't have much hp, but has usable torque right off idle.

It would be a good idea to call one of the older cam companies (someone who has dealt with L-heads, maybe Isky?) and ask them about regrinding the original for a bit more umph. you're not going to get a lot, but could easily gain 15-20 hp in the mid range (around 1500-2500 rpm -- over that isn't worth going for!). I did that for my 196 OHV engine. The cam made for a much more enjoyable car that easily kept up with modern traffic. The original lifters will need to be surface ground to be used with the reground cam.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2011
  10. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

The engine looks great!

11. D_Lazaris

D_Lazaris
    from So. Cal

Thats exactly what I'm going to do with the Supercharger, have it blow through the carbs. From doing a lot of research on the McCulloch supercharger they put about 5psi out which is why I thought it would be PERFECT for the Nash. --Good thinking on the floats, didn't think of that!--

I knew going into the build that unless i threw BIG $$$ at the engine I was never going to get a huge amount of hp out of it! It's just going to be a really fun ride, and it's sure going to be different. But when it comes to going fast I already have a dragster for that!!! :D

...but don't get me wrong when the Antique Nationals come in June for socal.. My little Nash will be there! Won't be quick but it will be fun!

12. D_Lazaris

D_Lazaris
    from So. Cal

Thanks! Means a lot! It's amazing what elbow grease and some paint can do!

13. farna

farna

Actually, the whole project looks so good and is close enough to stock that I'm going to print something about it in my little AMC magazine -- if you don't mind. Send me a PM with an e-mail address and I'll e-mail you a PDF file copy along with permission to print up a few.

14. D_Lazaris

D_Lazaris
    from So. Cal

Well the generator has been converted to 12v and is now on the engine... Baby steps

[​IMG][​IMG]

15. farna

farna

Might not be much, but it IS progress!

16. D_Lazaris

D_Lazaris
    from So. Cal

Stuff really doesn't get done when you spread yourself too thin... I have way to many projects going on and haven't got time to work on the nash. I've been working on our flathead rail, and the hauler for it and finally had to slap myself to stop and work on the Nash!

SO finally another update!

I started working in the engine compartment, getting ready to clean out and paint.

I pulled the heater out and got to see the cool little fan that makes it work.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then I started sanding down the compartment, I discovered that the original paint is the cream color I've been wanting to paint it! So that made me feel good!
    [​IMG]

It's going to take awhile...
    [​IMG]

I am also starting on the headers and will be using pieces from the original exhaust to start them out.
    [​IMG]

17. D_Lazaris

D_Lazaris
    from So. Cal

Now! I am finally beginning the bracket for the supercharger. It's not done yet but here is the first part of it. Yes it looks ugly but after I'm done with it hopefully people will be looking at the supercharger and not my bracket haha

[​IMG]

Now here comes the question. I was going to use two 2 barrels for the carbs but I need to use them on another project so I am probably use two 1 barrels instead. What do you guys think would be the best carbs for this application?

18. farna

farna

Carter YFs were used on the later Rambler American 196 flat-heads and were used on many other cars/small trucks. They would look about right on there and should be easy enough to find. Or the slightly smaller Holley 1909 AMC used on the 196 OHV. The 1909 is probably a better carb even though the venturi is smaller than the YF.

19. D_Lazaris

D_Lazaris
    from So. Cal

Thanks will look into that!

20. electromet

electromet
    from Tucson, AZ

Hi,

I just found this thread today, and I'm drooling! This is the project I've been thinking about for the past ten years. My specs are a little different, however. My thought was to use a 232-258 cu. in. engine with some mild 60's speed equipment, and an AMC Torqueflight. I agree that you shouldn't chop the top. The stock lines are great as they are. I guess I'll have to start shopping for a victim now so I can start when I finish my Met. Keep the pictures coming. You're doing a great job.

Mike

Last edited: Apr 29, 2011
  21. D_Lazaris

D_Lazaris
    from So. Cal

Thanks for enjoying! Yeah I'm not going to chop it, I love the stock lines.

And that sounds awesome! When you start the project PLEASE keep in touch love to follow it!

22. farna

farna

The 232/258 won't fit. The engine compartment is 4-6" too short. The only other six short enough is the Ford 144/170/200/250 family. They are small bore/long stroke like the old Rambler 196 (well, they don't have 4.25" strokes like the 196 -- the 250 might, but the smaller ones don't). The only way to make the later AMC six fit is to ditch the heater and make a notch in the firewall where the heater used to be. It's been done before. If you must have heat use something from Vintage Air (or a similar heat/cool system) or get a 50s truck heater and mount under the dash on the passenger side.

23. PhilJohnson

PhilJohnson

Nice job on the Nash. It's good to see the stock motor rodded instead of going the SBC route. Keep up the good work :)

24. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

If you still want to run 2bbls, you might want to look at carter webers like were on for 1600 and 2000 4cyl. they are easily adjustable and 1 was designed to feed 98 cubes so your engine is about 2x of them. Plus they are progressive secondariy set up. If you don't like the looks of them, take a look at SU's from a 3 liter Austin Healy or a TR 4/6.

These are simple and the main jet is externally adjustable for mixture. 2 of either 1 1/2 inch or 2 inch throttle bores would probably be the right fit. the can also be mounted at an angle instead of straight side draft so you could use something similar to the stacks you had the 2bbls on. you could even do something like a 60 degree elbow and mount the carbs above the head.

25. D_Lazaris

D_Lazaris
    from So. Cal

That would look pretty awesome with the supercharger plumbing and everything!

Thanks for the input! It's good that I have options, just need to start searching and see what would be best, and also what would be best for $$$$$....

26. D_Lazaris

D_Lazaris
    from So. Cal

Maybe I can do mechanical fuel injection :D

27. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Like this??

[​IMG]

There is also a thread on here from a fellow putting a supercharged quad 4 into a 59 or 60 Rambler American. You might want to search for that thread.

here is a chart with carb suggested per displacement for non hufffed applications

[​IMG]

28. D_Lazaris

D_Lazaris
    from So. Cal

Sounds good to me. I was just checking out the mechanical fuel injection on our flathead rail and I'm thinking this could be fun :)

29. farna

farna

Well, that's an SU type carb on the back of a supercharger. Ramzoom (user name) has a Weber on his supercharged quad four Rambler. You should be able to search for "ramzoom" here and find a pic. Mechanical FI would be tough. It's only used for racing for a reason -- works best wide open. Part throttle driving is tough. You need something with more tuneability for everyday driving. GM did it (but not for long) as did Porsche (they used a diesel type injection pump though), but it wasn't real efficient at part throttle.

30. D_Lazaris

D_Lazaris
    from So. Cal

I finally got the supercharger mounted on the engine, it was a tough little bracket to make. I still need to make it look pretty but it's very strong. Tomorrow I'm building a support for underneath the supercharger that will mount to the block. Then I'll build the idler arm.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]