Register now to get rid of these ads!

T5 in a 56 Ford Mainline

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 56Mainline, Jan 24, 2011.

1. 56Mainline

56Mainline

I am wondering if anyone has information on installing a T5 in a 56 Ford Mainline or similar. I tried searching the HAMB for info but did not get anything really relevant to my situation. Bought my car with a 302 and a C-4. Appears to have had a 6cyl/3spd originally. The previous owner cut the clutch pedal off at the base but I was able to get a clutch/brake pedal assembly to replace it. I have no clutch linkage and would prefer to go with a cable or hydraulic setup. My main question is which is more feasible? Steering box clearance will not be an issue, converting to rack and pinion steering. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

2. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

You're probably on your own. I'd use a T5 out of a late-model Mustang - get the bellhousing back - it'll be a cable clutch too. Depending on the year of your 302, you may even be able to use the 5.0 flywheel/clutch/pressure plate too.

Measure carefully - you might not even need to change the shifter location on the Mustang trans - a carefully bent shift lever might work to clear your seats...

3. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

You're probably on your own. I'd use a T5 out of a late-model Mustang - get the bellhousing back - it'll be a cable clutch too. Depending on the year of your 302, you may even be able to use the 5.0 flywheel/clutch/pressure plate too.

Measure carefully - you might not even need to change the shifter location on the Mustang trans - a carefully bent shift lever might work to clear your seats...

4. Not necessarily on your own,,I did the T5 transmission in my '54 Ford wagon,which was original a 3 on the tree 6 cylinder car.

I modified the bell crank from a '84 mustang and used the mustang cable to engage the clutch,I was able to retain the original pedals and everything looks correct,without using the small clutch pedal from the pony car.and as Ernie said I used all associated parts. HRP

Last edited: Jan 25, 2011

5. 61falcon

61falcon

i have a 302/T5 in my falcon. i used the pedals from an '89 mustang and use a cable set up. works great.

6. 56Mainline

56Mainline

Thanks for the info everyone. I will look into the cable clutch thing a bit more then, sounds pretty straightforward to do from what I have seen online so far.

7. Mainline, have you done the clutch cable install yet? Issues? Things learned? To put a power steering box on my 56 they say I need to loose the stock clutch linkage.