Register now to get rid of these ads!

Remember Your First Model Car?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jimmitchell70, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Eracer

Eracer
    from Wisconsin

2. I still build models! Here's one of my first kits, an Aurora Cunningham.

[​IMG]

This car later morphed into the Cobra when it met up with Shelby.

3. This is a pretty cool car! The Jersey Bounce was a popular dance of the 40's.

[​IMG]

4. jimmitchell70

jimmitchell70
    from CT

All great stories and memories, it seems.
    Makes me want to rush out and buy a couple for my son.
    Chaos - that's about as touching a story as I think I'll ever read.

5. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

I remember my first few: The AMT '57 Chevy my dad built with me (we ran out of gloss red, and the hood was shot red oxide primer); the Monogram Deuce roadster I sawed the fenders off of and painted whitewalls on the radials; and the AMT '40 Ford coupe that came out real nice until I blew it apart and tried to chop the top.

I have a real bad track record for building models...

-Dave

6. Pharouh

Pharouh

The first model I had was the original AMT 40 Ford coupe. My brother actually built most of it though. The first one I actually built was an AMT 62 ford pickup w/trailer. Man those were the days.

7. jimmitchell70

jimmitchell70
    from CT

As a side, this sort of runs into what could be another thread topic ( I won't waste anyone's time, though)...How many of you remember good, old fashioned hobby shops? We still have a couple in my neck of the woods, but, not nearly as many as there used to be around here. It turns out, my Dad still talks to a few guys that run a couple up in MA and northern CT and VT at the Model Train shows he attends here, in the NorthEast. He asked me to go to one w/ him recently so I, of course, made my son come with and he "re-introduced" me to a couple of them. They're all 30 yrs. older than I remember, but, still really nice and just as willing to talk about the kits they carry.

8. das858

das858

My first one was a Tommy Ivo dragster, in about 1964 or '65.

9. Ocean56

Ocean56
    from Michigan

10. Was that the 4 Buick engined "Showboat"?
    I always wondered about those Revell kits back in the 60's ..like that 4 engine Mickey Thompson "Challenger".
    Difficult builds...Like stuffing 10 lbs of stuff in a five pound bag.

11. gtoeasy64

gtoeasy64

As you can see from the picture I was really little when I built my first model.....

[​IMG]

12. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

the bottom one....from a toy store in Temple City, California

[​IMG]

I still have a few of the boxes...great art work on the old ones....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These photos are from several years ago. I ran out of room, so they are now on the dry-walled ceiling

13. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

THIS was the one ya had to have...about 1964 or so, maybe '63...

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  14. spinman

spinman
    from new jersey

Not sure of my first, but i know i couldn't wait to get this catalog back in the early '70s. the T'rantula and Badman '57 were two i had, but sadly, not any more
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. dirty4

dirty4

this was my first also!~ it was fun to build and cool to look at.

16. My first Model cars were all ROTH cars! Still have them.....in the box! Never built them. The first one I ever built was the Lil' Coffin. I plan on building it again soon....I think I built a total of 500 or so. Still have a few of the ones I built when I was a kid.

17. KustomRocket88

KustomRocket88

A couple photos of kits my Dad built when he was around 12 or so - STILL exist today! These have been untouched and remain in identical condition since 1960.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A couple of radical kustoms my Dad hand built at the age of 13, still preserved:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

First model kit I ever kustomized (age 10)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 20, 2011
  18. This was my 1st 1/8th scale model. I have a bunch of them still built back in the day. Even the gear box works on this one. I bought at least 8 different 1932s but in the smaller version. My big T is Yellow. I'll post pictures of it.

19. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Believe it or not, my first model car was a '59 Stude Lark, which I painted black. I eventually blew it up with lighter fluid and firecrackers. (I'm sure I'm the ONLY one who ever did that! LOL. I don't know HOW most boys don't grow up missing at least one eye!)

My buddies at the time had a cool dad who had large models that I'd estimate NOW at being about 1/18th scale. Man! They were way cool! He had stuff like the '40s Lincoln Continentals. Sorry, but I was a 9-year-old kid, so I don't have pix!

20. wrayeugene49

wrayeugene49
    from eugene,or

I started with planes...had a battleship.....then switched to cars...had about 50..ended up kit bashing, customizing and scratch building...I had the "lil coffin" Ala Kart, showboat, double dragster set, Stone, woods & cook..a bunch of 40 fords.....several 3-in-1 kits which were mt favorites....and many more....great memories...sadly all went to goodwill while I attended college and my closet got taken over....I got into it again when my son was 10 or so..have about 50 again now...on display in the living room like a good bachelor...and stacked in the closet...and bookshelves...and in the garage.....probably always have some around...and always take pics at shows...my favorite thing...great thread...let's see more PHOTOS OF BUILDS..!!! here are a few of mine..
    the forty was a re-creation of one I did when young...but different....now on a pro-mod chassis...

Attached Files:

21. Rich1028

Rich1028

my first model car was MOPAR MISSLE DON CARLETON PRO STOCK DUSTER
    Given to me on Easter,by the easter bunny...no less!
    [​IMG]

22. Snake funny car

23. BeatnikPirate

BeatnikPirate
    from Media, Pa.

Attached Files:

24. Deuces

Deuces

I hope AMT/MPC comes out with this again soon!! I'd be bummed if they didn't.. :(

25. Deuces

Deuces

How about the Monogram 1/24 scale Snake and Mongoose funny car kits from the early '70's... I got the 2 'n 1 kit laying around here somewhere.... This was the Snake's Yellow 'Cuda and the Mongoose's red Duster F/C kits..

26. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Cool thread....
    I really can't remember my "1st" model...there's been SO many.....I do remember a Monogram 1957 Bel Air I helped my pops with....
    I still have @ 100 models....some still in the boxes, unbuilt.
    I do remember my favorite model, an MPC '57 Chevy gasser with the tilt front end. I got it when I sent in all my GOLDEN OPPORTUITY tokens from the side of the MPC boxes....still have it somewhere.

27. My step dad gave me a box of his old models going back to the 40s. I'll dig them out.

28. jimmitchell70

jimmitchell70
    from CT

Mazooma1-that room reminds me of my cousin's basement when I was growing up. It looked very similar w/ the boxes and pics on the walls. The center of the room was full of slot car tracks, it was the coolest place. When I was lucky enough to get invited up to his room, I remember there were dump truck models all over the dresser and a couple of wall shelves. He was 10 yrs older and the coolest guy in my world. He owns his own trucking business now with a fleet of dump trucks and has always had custom bowtie pickups.

29. 1/32 Opel GT molded in dark green metallic and '57 T-Bird in blue metallic from _______, and AMT 1976 Ford Capri. Epoxy glue to mess stuff up with.
    Must've been a can opener to what I have for model car stuff today. That was 30 some years ago.