Register now to get rid of these ads!

Remember Your First Model Car?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jimmitchell70, Jan 20, 2011.

1. jimmitchell70

jimmitchell70
    from CT

Let's try this again on a proper machine....

<TABLE class=tborder id=post6119072 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD class=alt1 id=td_post_6119072 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e5e5e5 1px solid">Mine was a '51 Ford Anglia Gasser, Skipper's Critter.
    I'll never forget it.
    Up until that point my modeling was strictly helping my Dad with his HO train layout of the New York, New Haven and Hartford rail lline.
    I might actually still have it in a box around here, somewhere....
    <!-- / message --></TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e5e5e5 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #e5e5e5 0px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #e5e5e5 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e5e5e5 1px solid"> </TD><TD class=alt1 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e5e5e5 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #e5e5e5 0px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #e5e5e5 0px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e5e5e5 1px solid" align=right><!-- controls -->[​IMG]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

2. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Had tons of them when I was a pre-teen, but not sure what the first one was. I think it may have been the Stone-Woods & Cook Willys.

3. gsp392

gsp392

When I built my first model car I didn't read the skill level part. I started with a glue together Revell '56 Chevy. I can't remember how old I was at the time, but it didn't look exactly like the one on the box when I was done.

4. Mine was the "Old Pro" Nova. What great memories!

5. bottledViolence

bottledViolence

57 chevy all red plastic and i put slicks on the back i think i was 7

6. LANCE-SPEED

LANCE-SPEED

Mine was a 57 Chevy, I had a killer model car collection until I got my first BB gun!:eek:

7. i cant remember my first theres been a ton but i remember the first one i built without the instruction sheet (on a dare from my dads friend) it was the ratpacker chevy 2 alterd wheelbase from amt i brush painted the whole thing with the old pactra royal blue looked hideous

my favorite models when i was a kid were the monogram 55 chevys (badman, and the black one) california streetvette, quicksilver the 2 66 chevelle flip noses and mpcs spirit of 57 57 chevy sedan flipnose gasser (still my favorite 57 to build) and amts flashback 57 ford

i built a ton of each of them

8. luciomduran

luciomduran

My first model car was the AMT 1949 Ford Coupe. I remember painting it and thinking how cool it looked. I put it under the dryer vent outside to dry faster and I came back to check on it and it was just covered in lint from the dryer. My first "fuzzy" paint job. Now, I have close to 200 model kits that haven't even been touched yet. Quite a sickness. Join our model club:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/group.php?groupid=105

9. Deuces

Deuces

Yeah!! It's this one right here... It even came with a T-shirt iron-on transfer.. Sure wish AMT would bring this one back with the original box art... I'd feel like I was 11 years old again.. That was damn near 40 years ago.... Sucks getting old.. :(

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 20, 2011
  10. Too long ago to remember the very first car model but it probably was the Munster Koach and then the STP Parnelli Jones turbine car. Built a bunch of fighter planes and boats before that being cheaper kits.

11. Christmas 1959, I got a '59 Ford convertible, AMT 3in1 kit. Still have it and the dozens of others I've built since....Don.

12. Mine was an AMT 32 roadster. The early kits had splined metal axles that kept the wheels on better than the later kits.

13. budd

budd

mine was a tiny little tank, i was maybe 4, i can still remember that the tracks would not stay glued, in any event it would of been lucky to last 24 hours..lol..my next one was the "big T" it had a green body, my dad and i built it together, we screwed up the rear axle and had to use one of moms knitting needles as a replacement.

14. My first was either the Monogram Black Widow or Green Hornet. When I run across the grille decal or those chunky tires in a parts box somewhere, it transports me right back to 1961.

Bob

15. LAROKE

LAROKE

AMT 1925 Model T roadster. I built the pickup version (you were given the choice of "turtle deck" or pickup box in the kit). It met its demise carrying a firecracker over a 3' "cliff" on Independence Day sometime in the early sixties.

16. indianhead74

indianhead74

Sure do, The year was '60 and the model was a corvette. My dad helped me build it. we left the body white,but I painted the cove blue, with a brush. Indy

17. The Brudwich

The Brudwich

This is the first one I "helped" my dad build as a kid, loved '41 Willys ever since!

[​IMG]

Deuces likes this.
  18. Deuces

Deuces

I have that one also.........

19. First one I built without my Dad "helping/taking over" was the Tarantula

20. Anderson

Anderson

This is the wrong box, but this is the first kit I ever built.

[​IMG]

21. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

This is from Mazooma1's collecion but this is the one....1959
    [​IMG]

22. lowpunk

lowpunk
    from berwyn, il

The very first one was the A Team van...so?!! Ha, the first one i actually built on my own: '64 Chevy, lowered with astros.

23. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

The instructions said to slide the wheels on and then light a match, melt the end of the axle and mushroom it so the wheel could not come off but still could spin.

98 cents each at Mr Butlers market next door to my house. I seem to remember a yellow Stutz Bearcat with big swoopy fenders. This was over a half a century ago.:D

24. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

When I was about 8 or 9 my mother took me with her to visit a lady whos husband owned the local Chevy dealership. Thier son (somewhat older than me) gave me a '59 Brookwood wagon promo model and a whole bunch of old amt customizing parts. Hood scoops, cruiser skirts, multiple antenna, contenental kit. Screwed it up good. lol

But it hooked me on models.

25. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

My first was an old AMT 1937 chevy convertible, it was brown on the box and was a pic of it at the races, think it had a clear hood too.

Dad painted it purple for me in the kitchen...
    Also remeber the 70's snap tight funny car models, had quite a few, also my neighbor gave a a SWC willys model that I still have..

Also the 36 ford early iron series and a 36 Ford AMT Street Rod kit from the early 70's that dad bought at the 72 nats in detroit

26. Deuces

Deuces

R-M will be releasing that kit again sometime this year... With the same box art.. :) Can't wait! Last time I had that was in '73 or '74..

27. lowtruck

lowtruck
    from Omaha

My dad helped me build Ed Roth's "Outlaw" when I was way to young to tackle it myself. I still have it.

28. Tommy's post brought back a lot of memories;I recall doing the same thing with the axles of a car.Those were Revell Highway Pioneers kits and I think I built all of them eventually.Then there was the Lindbergh(I think)32 Hot Rod with the flathead and twin exhausts coming out of the rear axle.
    The best one though was the one I entered in the Rod & Custom model car contest in 1956.I even got mentioned in the article although not by name.
    The model was a Sirkorsky helicopter I had cut the cockpit from and mounted a Hemi Chrysler engine from the Revell 1/32nd scale 56 New Yorker inside the rear of it and drilled holes in the side to accept metal axles and wheels from their 56 Mercury kit.Painted it black and the engine silver.Bizarre enough looking that the guys at R&C saw fit to mention it.

29. I'm Tommy's age so the first model cars I remember seeing at the local store [not a mall or a supermarket..just a little neighborhood store] were already-put-together 1955 and 56 plastic 1/24th cars. Pretty accurate too. I think they were 79 or maybe 99 cents. I'd redrill [heated metal axle] the axle holes to lower/raise the ride height. A salmon colored 55 Buick special hardtop was the first I remember.
    Then I got the wise idea to "test" my model airplanes to see it they'd really fly. Melted a hole in the wingtip and use dad's fishing line to whirl em over my head and let the line out further and further until they accidently hit the house's fountation...big explosion!

30. I built a navy sailor-probably about 1976, It was already an old kit when my mom bought it at a garage sale, broke it shortly after wards. My 1st car was the old amt 64 impala-still have it!