Register now to get rid of these ads!

60'-70's Vintage Oval Track Modifieds

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by john56h, Apr 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. That was my post on 3-Wide.

That was the car we built down here in South Carolina. I posted build pics here before. Now it's done and made its maiden voyage to the Turkey Rod Run this past Thanksgiving.

I know the owner visits here and I'm surprised he hasn't posted any pics, so I guess I'll do it for him.

It's completed except for the rear bumper and shorty side nerf bars. I did the design work for the chassis. Then I partnered up with a buddy to fabricate the frame and roll cage. Then we did the front/rear suspension, steering, fuel cell, drivetrain mounts and mocked the body into proper position.

The owner then had some other folks do the sheetmetal work (labor intensive, especially the doors). He had two others do the body work and paint.

I built the 348 "W" engine and did the Winters Q/C with a Detroit Locker so ya' can drive this on the street.

Then it came back to my shop for the front bumper. My buddy handled the bending, TIG welding and polishing of the $8 per foot stainless steel tubing.

The owner is aDale Earnhardt fan and did it as a tribute car. He's also a fanatic for stuff being bright, chromed plated and polished. He also has a touch for details. Everything he did that wasn't mentioned before is PERFECT. The dash, power windows, brake and fuel lines, pedals, seats, brakes, hubs , etc., etc..

It was a three year project for him and deserves space in some magazines. After everyone I told about the car looked at it, they said, "It's a bunch nicer than you described."

AND.....it drives as nice, if not nicer than it looks!!!!!!!!!

There's one thing about this car that pisses me off. It's not mine!!!:p;)

PS: He even put a glove box in and retained the working cowl vent. Headlights are stored in the trunk. Has a one wire and one bolt connection for each light. He's since put a stainless steel NASCAR mesh rock catcher in front of the custom made Griffin radiator.

Here's some pics:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 19, 2011
  2. EEZI

EEZI

Thanks for the info. I hope to post a couple pics that I have of W Bratt ~~ 1955.

3. ridin dirty

ridin dirty

Big Motors? I thought Red Foote in the J2 was running a Y block with three trips on it. Was he running a Lincoln 430 cid? That was a artical I never seen before. Thanks Ill print it out and put it in my history book im making. i think im going to do more research on the Bandits like info and pictures. I have a bunch on Red but not the others.

4. modcrew18

modcrew18

I think your thinking of Denny Lindberg, one of the origional bicknell chassis cars

5. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

Red Foote's J2 was Ford powered but I don't remember how many carbs (I would think it had a 4 barrel) also I don't remember what size (cui displace) it was. It was a Ford though, the rest of us had 327 Chevy's with a 4 barrel (stock except for a Duntoff cam). Denny Z.

6. I should get a mulligan Rich lol

7. retroridesbyrich

retroridesbyrich
    from Central NC

You mean a Joe Dirt hair cut?

8. Slippery

Slippery

Here's some early Red Foote from the Waterford Speedbowl. The car on the left was a 'cutdown'....these were outlawed not long after this picture was taken when a driver died in one at this track.

Doug

Attached Files:

• 24.jpg
      24.jpg
      File size:
      410.4 KB
      Views:
    • 22.jpg
      22.jpg
      File size:
      415.2 KB
      Views:
  9. leadfoot4

leadfoot4

I could be wrong, but I thought that Don was an IBM employee....

10. joe dirt? I got a haircut today but my hair ain't long in the back, only Mulligan I know is Blackjack Mulligan lol

11. [​IMG]
    Thought this was cool
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. katman43

katman43
    from pa

Attached should be my photo of Don Diffendorf that I snapped at either the first Daniel Boone 200. Might have been his only trip to Reading. He finished second to Stan Ploski.

Attached Files:

13. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Nice build. I saw it at Daytona and also posted a few pix. One thing, however, is that the owner gave me the impression he built it. I guess he meant to say had it built, eh? Gary

14. Willie41

Willie41

Hey Denny. In the eyes of true chevy guys like my dad & myself you don"t get more TRUE STOCK than a Duntov cam. lol. 1 of chevys best efforts for a small block. Wish I could still get them today

15. In defense of the owner, he was involved in most aspects of the build and is a true "hands on guy". He detailed and assembled all the components along with being present and doing whatever he could within his level of expertise to complete the build.

I'd venture to say that most owner/builders hire folks to do a wide variety of tasks in a car build that they don't feel comfortable doing. But in the end still feel comfortable saying they built it.

I guess it's similar to a person that said they built their garage. But they had the concrete men pour the footings and slab. Hired an electrician, roofer and overhead door installer. In the end they say they built the garage but in reality contracted a high percentage of the work out.

16. KRASH63

KRASH63
    from MONROE NJ

the gold #2 of wally weaver won first night out at wall when with the new car.Wally is more famous for the night the body flew off his coupe,

17. twisted wrench

twisted wrench

nice to see that I am not the only one who remembers Wally Brown

18. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Fair enough then. I'm kinda the same way... I pretty much designed my car and "built" my car, too, the best of my skills, but don't weld or paint or sew. I had plenty of help, too. Taking foot out of mouth. Gary

19. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

By any chance are there plans available for the "Nance" style super modified coupes that were once popular in the midwest? Thanx, Gary

20. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

Abyone else notice the duelies on the back?

21. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

Thanks to Kris Holmberg on Facebook .. some more Denny Zimmerman pictures.

Attached Files:

22. shamrock 3x

shamrock 3x

Bullfather,
    Oh, I LIKE that #67 coupe in post 8351. Looks like it was a NY car, but I don't remember seeing it. My guess is it might be from LI, since I never made it down there. Anyone know who drove it and approx. year of the photo?
    Bill

23. daveww1

daveww1

Now were at Flemington
    [​IMG]

24. daveww1

daveww1

25. daveww1

daveww1

26. daveww1

daveww1

27. daveww1