Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Leo Caldwell won the race, but it was quite disputed. The Imca scorers weren't, for the most part, use to scoring long races with many pit stops so there was those who thought Clair Lawicki should have won.

2. easter

easter

IMCA scorers (at least 1 year) were high school kids at The Little 500. A couple of disputes at the end.

3. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

Scoring disputes at Little 500 have been standard operating procedure for years.

Ask Butch Wilkerson about Jeff Bloom sometime.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2011
  4. jimg12

jimg12

Rootie,
    Talked to Charlie. He also said the guy they said won the race was not the person that did win. He could not remember who won but said the car they said won was powered by a Ford motor[427] and Ford had something to do with the race. Dick Gaines was driving a car that was owned by a trucking company in Mitchel, In [the car was not owned by Dizz, but he was in charge] and the trucking company also had cars at Indy. Dick flipped the car and Charlie thought he was dead when he went aroun the first time, the secound time around Dick was getting out of the car because it had flipped in a ditch and Dick was not hurt. Charlie broke a torque tube and it went thru the belly pan and the drive shaft went right over Dean Roper's head. It dug into the track but did not catch on fire[Charlie said it must have had so much fuel in it that it put out the sparks[he had just made a pit stop] but when he got to the pit there where firemen everywhere. Hope this helps.
    Jim

5. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Thanks Jim, that's pretty much what the race report said too. It also stated that Wilson was quite a popular guy in the pits with guys looking for help with their setups, what with his Indy experiance and all.

6. okm3D

okm3D
    from Minnesota

alrighty so this is prolly pretty random but i came across this thread searching for idk what and fell in love with it! i dont know much about sprint cars and midgets from the 60's or 70's era and what i do know is second and third hand. My grandfather is Joe Demko and he raced sprint car's and midgets in the 60's and 70's in imca and usac and a few other sanctions more localized to our area. He was an imca champ in idk what years driving midgets and if anybody has any pics of him (650+pages is alot to navigate tryin to find pics) or any info on what happened to any of the cars he drove (im sure yall would need more info which im sure i could supply if i talked to my grandpa or my dad) i would be majorly appreciative as i find it incredibly interesting and cool and hope to one day go racing myself. i feel like im forgetting something but idk what, anywho heres a scan of him (#59)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 19, 2011
  7. baldtireman

baldtireman

Anybody got any more pictures/stories?:p

8. baldtireman

baldtireman

Was it John Auxter,of Fremont Ohio.? He was an IMCA regular who campaigned an Indy roadster with a big-block Ford.

9. baldtireman

baldtireman

Is this a Sam Traylor car? Sure looks like the Ed Lowther #2 that I admired so much as a youngster. Really Nice!! John S.:D

10. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

I'd heard about that race for a long time and was always curious about it but could never find much info on it. I then came across a old magazine called U.S. Auto Sports from 1964 that has the race report in it by Bill Marvell. Not much for pictures but a lengthy text. I'll scan it up tomorrow and post it.

11. jimg12

jimg12

Baldtireman,
    I do not know if it was him or not. Will try to remember the name and ask Charlie. Maybe Rooties results will have it.
    Jim

12. jimg12

jimg12

Rootie,
    You sure know a lot, what size hat do wear[15]? That was a compliment, thanks for all your imput[and you have always been right].
    jim

13. easter

easter

Dad's first Sprint without the cage.

Attached Files:

14. OldBill

OldBill
    from PA

Sideways27, more photos of the Paul Mead car. First at Winchester 10 July 66, 2nd in primer at Winchester 30 April 67, 3rd at Eldora 2 July 67.

Attached Files:

15. jmcintosh

jmcintosh

I think the car Dick Gaines was driving was the Martin Bros Trucking Car. They were a Penn. company but hauled cement out of Mitchell. They also helped sponser Kal Halls Indy effort these Cars were always # 71 an were the Hall Mar Specials.

16. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Scanned up the Bill Marvel piece on the 1964 Atlanta IMCA race. Here's the text. Double click to a new window to view full size.

Attached Files:

• atl1.jpg
      atl1.jpg
      File size:
      395.9 KB
      Views:
    • atl2.jpg
      atl2.jpg
      File size:
      338.7 KB
      Views:
    • atl3.jpg
      atl3.jpg
      File size:
      267.3 KB
      Views:
    • atl4.jpg
      atl4.jpg
      File size:
      515.5 KB
      Views:
  17. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Here's the pics that accompanied the article:

Attached Files:

• atl5.jpg
      atl5.jpg
      File size:
      332.7 KB
      Views:
    • atl6.jpg
      atl6.jpg
      File size:
      244.5 KB
      Views:
  18. easter

easter

The July 1967 IMCA race at Winchester. Somebody blew a motor on the front straight and dumped oil everywhere. A bunch of cars spun in the oil from the flag stand clear through turn 1. Dad had hit the outside wall but was in pretty good shape until Curly Boyd hit him. The newspaper had the wrong name for the #2 car. Both cars were torn up pretty bad. Karl Busson was leading and Dad was running second - separated by a group of lapped cars - the first of which blew his engine. Bob King was involved and split his hand between his fingers on the steering wheel spoke. He still signed an autograph for me while bandaged, drinking a beer, and waiting on the pay window. Can't believe (even as a kid) I had the nerve to ask him for an autograph after he was hurt.

Attached Files:

19. daveww1

daveww1

More from the Thompson shop. The balck sprint car was supposed to be a Traylor car in response to prior question.
    [​IMG]

20. daveww1

daveww1

21. daveww1

daveww1

22. daveww1

daveww1

23. daveww1

daveww1

24. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Those are great detailed pics of the Meskowski champ car. Thanks!

25. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

26. sideways27

sideways27

Oldbill,
    Thanks for the pictures, this told me alot about the car during these years. During the 1967 season it was the Paul Mead Cab Spl. I really liked the pic's with the car on its trailer. It is going to give me some ideas on how to build the new trailer. Im very thankfull for the pic's they are helping me understand the history more and more. :)

27. LittleFauss

LittleFauss

.....'Hey Rootie! I'm still wowed by DaveWW1's pics, so thanks for clueing me in on who's champ dirt car that is from the Thompson Restoration shop. 'Absolutely gorgeous! And that black midget with the Offy engine. My first thought was, it was the old Caruso Offy #2, the Black Deuce that Bill Schindler made famous. Also, all the Offy engines on the engine stands and work benches, Wow! 'Great variety. I've seen a turbo-Offy, a super-charged Offy, n/a Offy's and a host of midget Offy's. I really hope DaveWW1 keeps it up! One other note: most car builders always seemed to be afraid of an extra long tail pipe. But both cars pictured have EXTREMELY long exhaust pipes and that's what makes them even more attractive, IMHO.

28. MarioFanKri

MarioFanKri
    from France

29. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Some nice $tuff there for sure. Curious as to who's champ car that was but it's deffinatly Meskowski built. He said the sprint was a old Traylor car but he had several in his stable so it's hard to say which one. I'm thinking it might be the #55 with some updates such as the disc brakes and such. (?)

Attached Files:

• st-2.jpg
      st-2.jpg
      File size:
      65.4 KB
      Views:
  30. MarioFanKri

MarioFanKri
    from France

Roy this one's for you ;-)

Attached Files: