Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Econoline Madness Who's got one?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kornfedlifer, Apr 25, 2007.

1. Hellfish

Hellfish

WOW! Sorry to hear that! I can't get the link to work to see the carnage though. Sounds impressive!

2. Balcones1

Balcones1
    from AUSTIN

Hellfish, go to you tube and look up "FORD 302 ECONOLINE ENGINE FIRE UP! FAIL! Action starts @ 3.23. Just got finished pulling the trans to bring to the pro's. Drained the fluid and its like maroon metalflake paint! Think this one may be toast! Now I'm fabbing the exhaust for the next go round.....

3. Uh...yeah, nice shot of the door to your crawl space.
    Anyone get singed in the flash over?
    Any idea what happened to the transmission to get so hot and tear up inside?

4. Balcones1

Balcones1
    from AUSTIN

Steve, the only personal injury was two small burns on my forehead where I got hit by two drops of hot fluid. Amazingly lucky! Don't know what exactly happened in the trans, but when I got it out today and pulled my $300 dollar JW converter off, it was bone dry! Don't know if it lost that much fluid when it blew or if 9 quarts wasn't enough to fill it up. Taking it to my trans guys tomorrow expecting the worst............ Gabe

5. Balcones1

Balcones1
    from AUSTIN

6. RodStRace

RodStRace

ALWAYS fill the torque converter before installation!!!
    Yes, it's heavy and slippery, but it won't croak that way.
    Sure hope that wasn't what happened.

7. Balcones1

Balcones1
    from AUSTIN

Converter was full. Its a 10" and it held two full qts. Doesnt matter now though does it. Oh well, I'm sure my trans shop will let me know what I screwed up....

8. crowen57

crowen57

Nice van elwoodwffw!

9. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

I'm wondering if it was fully engaged. I did that about 25 years ago and really tore up the pump. Since it was a customers car the repair came out of my pocket. Bad thing was, I knew better but was in a hurry. Had to kick my own ass over that one.:(:D

10. Balcones1

Balcones1
    from AUSTIN

OahuEli, that's a negative on the pump engagement. I had 3/16" clearance between flexplate and converter tabs before sliding it forward and bolting to the flex plate. When I pulled it out Sunday the nose and pump tabs were fine. I dropped it off at the trans shop this a.m. I'm awaiting diagnosis............

11. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Well, that rules that out. I saw your video, sucks that it caught fire. Hopefully it was something covered by warranty. Your truck sounded pretty cool by the way.

12. Hellfish

Hellfish

Glad everyone is ok. Thanks for keeping the camera running!

That motor sounded great. Keep us posted on the trans diagnosis.

13. Balcones1

Balcones1
    from AUSTIN

Got the aftermath photos. Messy!:eek:

Attached Files:

14. MD1320guy

MD1320guy

Balcones1...I have learned over the years to always roll a project outside before startup. I've had 3 friends loose their whole garage (one lost his whole house & 3 cars) from startup mishaps. I'm glad your damage was only minor.

15. Balcones1

Balcones1
    from AUSTIN

MS1320GUY, I totally agree, and that was the plan. But in my rush and excitement, that didn't happen. Oh well, live and learn. I thank my lucky stars every time I go through it in my head.
    Just picked up the trans from Dan @ Eagle Trans in Austin. These guys have always treated me and my customers great. I HIGHLY recommend them to anyone. They only found heat damage, nothing found in trans to cause the problem. Had to replace the pump and a drum, but all else was ok. Just dropped off the converter @ shipper to send back to JW Transmissions for diag. and repair. We will see what they find out. They have been good over the phone and are willing to honor the 90 day warranty if defects are found, but I've been around this business long enough to not get my hopes up. Just have to wait and see.....

16. crowen57

crowen57

How many Econoliners do we have within driving distance of San Antonio/Seguin TX?

17. Balcones1

Balcones1
    from AUSTIN

Right here in N central Austin. But, mine's not drivable yet. Does that still count?

18. Straight Axle Steve

Straight Axle Steve

I've got 3" of lift in the rear. Runnin 275/60/15 on 15x8.5 Torque Thrusts. Not stock, just tellin ya what 3" does for ya.

19. Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blam [​IMG]
    What size tires are you guys running on stock set ups? I got some 14x7 mags, and I'm runnin 185/75's the dudes at the tire shops are telling me i can't run anything else but i know that's not true. I want some bigger tires!
    Thanks,
    -Ryan

You can go as large as 225, but it will be squishy. The 7" rim takes a 175-185 (7x25.4= 177.8) and you can go 1" under, and up to 2" over. Going under messes with slip angle a little. Going over messes with slip angle a lot. If you want them inside the rear fender, get out a tape measure and see how much room is in there, then get a wider rim if you need it. Don't forget to check your backspacing.
    I hope that helps answer your question

20. Blam

Blam

it does, thanks a lot!

21. Balcones1

Balcones1
    from AUSTIN

Hey crowen57, I was born and raised in Port Arthur. Haven't been down there in 15 years or so. Can you still taste the sulfur in the air from the refineries? Lol........

Last edited: Jan 18, 2011
  22. stationWAGONS

stationWAGONS
    from Vegas

***Guys -
    which are more popular, the PANELS or the WINDOW VANS?***

I like the trucks the best,
    but I have a chance at a solid unrestored panel
    AND
    a soild original window van from the same older guy's
    "collection"

...which is more marketable"?
    (It'll be resold to make a few bucks on is why I ask).

23. Hellfish

Hellfish

probably panels, but neither are worth very much. Shorty/regular, or extended panel? Regular or Falcon window van? I'd say 65-67 are more valuable due to the relative ease of motor swapping, but that may not make much difference

24. crowen57

crowen57

I've been here all my life! Use to have an OT salvage yard near the old sulfur plant south of Beaumont. The air seems 'normal' here, at least until come home after being away for a few days.:(

Are you going to have the Econoline ready for LSR?

25. Balcones1

Balcones1
    from AUSTIN

Crowen57. I'm trying like hell to get it driveable once again for lsr, but it looks pretty daunting. I'll just keep at it and hope for the best!

Last edited: Jan 20, 2011
  26. J CRUZ

J CRUZ

Lets get back to some pics!

27. model-a-fan

model-a-fan
    from Kentucky

I agree. Love these things but never come across a good deal.

28. Radical Dave

Radical Dave

Hi' there, just thought I would post an update on this 61' I bought it off Tim from Roadhouse Retro who posted it on this thread way back when he first shipped it to the UK. Soon as I got it home I gutted the inside and replaced the rear springs as they were sagging and bending the wrong way.
    While I was getting the springs reconditioned I had them put an extra leaf in to give it a little more beef on the back and it sits nice now with a nice rake on it.
    I'm now waiting on some cool wheel's to come from the states, they were posted on the 4th Jan by U.S. mail but they haven't left the country yet :(. Oh well as long as they get here safe in the end thats the main thing, fingers crossed.
    Cheer's Dave.

[​IMG]

29. Hellfish

Hellfish

I took this on Saturday...

[​IMG]

30. crowen57

crowen57