Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration You gotta see this! Estate Sale Purchase

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by G V Gordon, Nov 18, 2010.

1. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

About a year ago a local MOPAR enthusiest was killed in a car fire. His 66 Imperial burned as well.
    Today I went to his estate sale and this followed me home.

Chris, at one time was a window dresser and designer for Marshall Fields Dept store in Dallas and his friend Phillip told me he thought that this was from those days. A prop piece.

Obviously influenced by mid early 60's Chrysler products it measures a little over 5' long and is fiberglass/resin type construction.

Even my long suffering spouse thinks it's kind of neat. First thing she said was, "your'e planning on keeping that aren't you?"

Enjoy.

What do you think, refinish or leave original with flaking paint and cracks?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. satin&flake

satin&flake

thats bad me i whould mod it a bit and make it a pedal car for one of my 4 kids lol with flaked out paint
    nice find and sorry to hear about MR.MOPAR

3. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Neat. It looks more like a '57 Chrysler to me... ;) Definitely late '50s Mopar inspired. I see cues from several different cars, but that horizontal bar grille is pretty distinctive.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

Sorry for the double post guys, For some reason it wont give me a delete option. Can mod maybe combine the two. Thanks.

5. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Cool find. I would carefully refinish it with some interesting 50's era color to make it look original as much as possible to the era, but perhaps with some more flash. Then finish out the "chrome" and other details.

I HATE the spray chrome, but this might be a cool place to use some of it.

Then put it up on a loft or shelf just to stare at. Nice!

6. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

pretty cool score , i think it would look cool with some color on it

7. HRod 50

HRod 50

8. Cymro

Cymro

If you intend to paint it, first take a mould, replicas would make awesome pedal cars / tot rods. A source of income for car building cash perhaps.

9. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

That is cool. Normally I'd say leave it, but in this case, I'd paint the thing, hang it on the wall and just look at it. AFTER I pulled a mold from it...

Brian

10. noboD

noboD

Kind of has a Christine look to it. How about red?

11. axle

axle
    from Drag City

You're joking, right ?!?!?!?!?!?!?

12. Marcy

Marcy

Let me know when you are ready to sell it;):)

Marcy

13. Block it out straight, finish in pastel Mopar color ( it ain't straight enough for black). Bumpers/ grille etc.w/ Alkide (sic) or whatever that chrome paint is called- do it well !)correct width whitewalls.

Better still- for advice take it to the Plastic modellers Social group.

14. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

paint it up, drop a baby hemi in it, stacks out the hood, and hit the streets

15. paint it and pin stripe it.

16. make more of 'em George! then paint that thing and stare at it ....rafters or up high like said previously....i think some retro looking refinish for sure...good score, i totally would've bought it too

17. darkk

darkk

smooth it out, make a mold for reproduction,sell repo's and finish this one in 60's custom paint w/flake and gaudy colors.....

18. mow too much

mow too much

I would paint it and if you know someone who can pin stripe;):D, that would look neat.

19. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No signs of a manufacturer's mark on the bottom or anywhere? It would be awesome to learn some more of the history before you made any changes to it.

I would have to agree that a tasteful restoration in a late 50's appropriate color scheme would be nice.

20. RAY With

RAY With

If it was a display then it was finished to look nice so I would do as 90% are saying and finish it out and paint to desired color. It makes a great conversation piece

21. punkabilly1306

punkabilly1306
    from ohio

this is a weird coincidence, I just got a hold of this.
    [​IMG]

22. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

I would mount that upside down on the ceiling of my shop without telling anyone and see the reaction when people spotted it. Detailing it out with proper correct color scheme would also be an option. Also when viewed from a distance the spray chrome might not be too bad.

Frank

23. real cool piece would make good garage art. paint and put on a shelf let me know when its for sale?

24. al8apex

al8apex

that is awesome, I agree with the making molds and painting it in a 50's color, tutone perhaps ?

25. olskoolspeed

olskoolspeed
    from Ohio

I'm in the minority here........I'd leave it alone. With relics like this, I prefer the "as found" look.

26. 59KUSTOM

59KUSTOM

27. Just what i was thinkin';)

28. norms30a

norms30a

Low and slow Ramone!:cool:

29. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Not quite from an estate sale. But when I went to a "Metal Meet" in Herkimer NY I spotted this hanging on Dutch Comstocks wall in his shop, quickly recognizing it was a 41 Willys P/U I asked if it was for sale, he said yes and now I own it. I have a full size 41 willys P/U that I'm building a tribute truck of Eddie Sanzo's A/GS P/U. The model is 1/3 scale and will be radio controled. The plane is a giant scale 1930 Stearman RC

Pat

Attached Files: