Register now to get rid of these ads!

YES or NO: Curb Feeler

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by adamshumard, Jan 5, 2011.

1. Gman0046

Gman0046

Sorry Katfish, NOBODY where I'm from ever had curb feelers on their car period. They were found on vehicles other then hot rods and customs.

2. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

I think the original poster's car is more of a Kustom than Rod. As for "back in the day," I think you would probably have seen a lot more cars with curb feelers than those 20 inch "rimz" the car in your avatar is sporting.
    Glasshouses and stones and all that.
    Paul

3. bcharlton

bcharlton
    from Buffalo NY

Your kidding right?

4. 68Caddy

68Caddy

no curb feelers feller.

5. brad chevy

brad chevy

If you use them get you a little bobble-head dog for the back window and a hula girl to put on the dash and they"ll all work together.

6. I never personally had a set on my car, but they do sell well when we are vending at shows.They seem to be popular with the 50's stock classic car set...........we get 13.00 a pair for the clamp on type with free shipping 11.00 here to hamb members!!

Last edited: Jan 11, 2011
  7. 61bone

61bone

All those that say they weren't used back in the day obviously were not there. They were very common. I wouldn't run a set on a rod, but would have no qualms about using them on a custom or lowered full fendered car, front and back. If they give you peace of mind, run em.

8. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

right on Paul... :D

9. newpy383

newpy383

Every time i made out with a girl i got a knob. Not takiing a picture though!

10. Mercchev

Mercchev

We sell them at a brisk pace to lots of custom, stock and lowrider guys. Sold out at VLV last year in about 30 minutes. It all depends on where you are from and what you remember. They were on all sorts of cars in Colorado when I was a kid. Do what you want, it's your car...

11. Mercchev

Mercchev

12. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

DAMN! I ALWAYS find these threads too late! That was MY line!

13. Don't hate da playa jus becuzin' ya hate da game.

14. RDR

RDR

another gook wagon piece, kind of like the rear venetian blind thread a while ago...There wasn't one self respecting GEEK that didn't have both those and a monster hood ornament that was lit up! Usually was his dads' car ......NO......!!

15. Lunatic

Lunatic
    from Carson,Ca.

here is 1 type,I can't remember ever using these though

Attached Files:

16. Once again the lack or correct information on the Wiki comes through. Hot Rodders don't use them or White Walls!

That's funny, no idea what they are, but an opinion on running them - that makes me laugh

Look up Brodie Knob or Necker Knob to find out

Well, no self respecting hot rodder from where I come from would consider a 4 door wagon with big ass wheels a Rod OR Custom either :D

17. Dave Downs

Dave Downs
    from S.E. Penna

I think they may be traditional since a lot of true hot rod stuff originated with WWII airplanes.

Is that a curb feeler I see on the bottom of this P-51??? (OK, it does look a little short....)

:D

Attached Files:

18. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Thats an "oh sh.." detector, as in the last thing the pilot says when it touches the ground

19. John in Oz

John in Oz

Going by the title I thought you must have bought a right hand drive car

20. Blades

Blades
    from Chicago

It's your ride. Unless others are paying for your build, do what you want with it. Forget the stereo types. If you like them, go fot it. Besides, isn't it better to be different?

21. ...doc...

...doc...
    from Houston

Step away from the curb feelers

22. 39Dodge

39Dodge

Oh yeah, my Dad had them on everything that he owned in the 50s also had the occasional mud flap with reflecters. I used to get flack from some friends but he was a car guy and the others Dads were not. Also duals and skirts were mandatory on his cars. He had stainless steel skirts on a 1962 Ford 2 dr. hardtop 406 c.i., tripower with 4 on the floor when I was 16 years old - very cool. So go for it.

23. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

I vote to protect your shit. Run 'em. Those who say no aren't the ones who have to replace damaged equipment.

24. nwheels

nwheels
    from Washington

I vote YES on the curb feelers. I'm 25 so there is a good vote from a younger member of the crowd.

25. big creep

big creep

i love this move!!!! meklo!!! and el gallo negro!!!

26. 2010-10-28_16-02-57_543.jpg
    2010-10-28_16-03-21_566.jpg

On the right car yes. These were installed by the previous and original owner of my wife's DeSoto. He was 86 when he sold us the car. He added the visor, headlight visors and spring type feelers.

We like them.

BloodyKnuckles

27. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

I vote no ,I just dont like them I like driving on the sidewalks

28. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

I say learn to park your car so you dont need them

29. gsp392

gsp392

Double hell no! Not unless you throw on a set of twinny foes to go with them.

30. rebstew187

rebstew187

I'm supprised at all the NO's on this thread. I wonder how many of those that post that have to park in the city where there is a curb. Someone said learn to park? I can park. But there are times when you have a big bulky 40's or 50's model car with a small or no right door mirror and you are going to bump a curb. On my street you have to get these fat cars close to the curb or you will get side swiped by some teenage girl texting. Is it more ugly to see a set of curb feelers on a car or a set of $800.00 wide whites with curb marks? If you need them buy them. They make enough noise you will hear them. When I was a kid I remember my dad pulling in and you could hear them rubbing the curbs. Do I like the looks? No! are they worth putting on? YES!