Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects FED with killer Flathead

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fenderless, Nov 16, 2010.

1. Ah thanks man. Been wondering about that for a while.

2. fenderless

fenderless
    from Norway

Yes Carl, i think i have spent a long time on it now:)!
    This i my 4 th block, second Frenchi, i have ported.
    Allways some new ideas i can try, diffrent set-ups:)!:)?

Here are a picture of my good good friend next to me in the garage.
    The Big Barndoor looks scary:D

And a picture from this summers highlight weekend:)!

Taildragger&fenderless

Attached Files:

3. 8-Track

8-Track

This belongs to Rick Schnell, there was an article about him in Hop Up magazine a couple of years ago, they call him the Flathead Guy. The Slider is the quickest and fast FED powerd by a flathead. he is running 30% nitro fule mix and recently dynoed a new motor with 930HP

4. refried confusion

refried confusion

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  5. Not exactly a dumb question, seems I'm asked that more than any other. ;)

Nice work too Fenderless, very nice port work!

6. fenderless

fenderless
    from Norway

Thanks ! Very cool pictures of those Flathead FED`s, keep em coming:)!!!
    Over 900 hp ??? What would Henry think:D! Please post some video or sound fliks!!

What is the best cam bearings? Dura Bond? .....?

Taildragger&fenderless

7. skwurl

skwurl

But you didn't answer it. It's to trip the beams from my understanding. I may be wrong.

8. skwurl

skwurl

9. You're right, but someone answered before me.

10. skwurl

skwurl

Oh I missed it. My bad

11. Nice video skwurl

12. fenderless

fenderless
    from Norway

13. fenderless

fenderless
    from Norway

8-TRACK
    This belongs to Rick Schnell, there was an article about him in Hop Up magazine a couple of years ago, they call him the Flathead Guy. The Slider is the quickest and fast FED powerd by a flathead. he is running 30% nitro fule mix and recently dynoed a new motor with 930HP

Can`t get 930 out of my head:eek:! Let alone sleep:D
    8-TRACK, do you have any more info on the new SLIDER ?
    Videos, pictures or ....????

Br
    Kjell

Taildragger&fenderless

14. fenderless

fenderless
    from Norway

Last uppdate!

The engine block has been delivered, last i spoke to them, valve seats has been ground. Had to make another key, in total two, for the crankshaft pully. I will not risk the one, breaking, thus destroying the new crank.

Have had some time to fix other stuff, intake final porting innside...

Have a Happy new year fellow HAMBèrs:)!

Taildragger&fenderless

Attached Files:

15. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Looking very, very good! I can't wait to see that mill assembled.

...And be very careful listenening to Bored&stroked-if you don't, that engine will be even meaner than you planned! Lol!:cool:

16. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

Slick Willy, you made my day! That's my old rail, restored from a swap meet rolling chassis. Now owned and campaigned by Dick K. from Cape Cod! Great car, same one pictured in my avatar, went straight and true. I have always been happy that my bucket list item of owning/driving a FED has been checked off. We ran it with four 97s at first, then hilborns on methanol.

17. fenderless

fenderless
    from Norway

38Flattie, oh i have tried to listen to Bored&stroked...So i think i`m gona get a supprise when we get in the dyno:D!

olcurmdgeon, do you know where the frame`s from? Engine spec`s?

Have done som stuff today also, polishing the timingcover, and som minor finishing on the inntake. Took out 16 adjusting bolts from the french lifters, so that is checked out too:D!

Taildragger&fenderless

18. Hell . . . don't listen to me, all I have is a large mouth and a small brain:eek: You're doing an excellent job on this motor - I'm really liking what I'm seeing so far! I wish I was there to see you dyno and then run it :cool:

On the lifter adjusters, you're doing exactly what you need - as they have a built-in interference fit between the upper/lower threads. I guess Crower doesn't want to invest in making these - so the old Johnson tops should work. Just make sure they feel nice and tight . . . as if the tops are worn or the threads aren't just right, they can be loose. If they are loose, you might consider some thin 'jam nuts' - I've used these before and they do lock down the adjustment - which isn't a bad idea anyway.

Cam Timing:

On the cam timing, don't trust the tag and just install everything straight up - make sure you get a good degree wheel and figure out exactly what it is in relation to the crank. You may need to advance/retard it a bit. There are adjustable cam timing gears available -- I think my last one came from Mike Davidson in OZ. Seems the most common thing I find is that cams are retarded more than they should be.

Oil Pump Drive Gear - Back of Cam:

Don't just press it on and pray that it doesn't come loose -- put a small TIG tack weld on the gear to the shaft - cheap and easy insurance !

Bearing Clearances - Don't Pay Attention to Stock!:

Another thing to really pay attention to is bearing clearances and rod side clearance. Since this is a drag only motor, looser is better. I usually run .001 to .00125 of bearing clearance per inch of crank journal. So if you're running 2.00 rods, you should have .002 to .0025, on the mains you should have .0025 to .003. (some guys run even more!). On the rod side clearance, I use about .015 to .018. You need these larger clearances to promote oil flow and give the oil a place to get the heck out of the bearing . . . this oil flow helps cool the bearings.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2011
  19. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

All funning aside, I've experienced Bored&Stroked's design and fabrication skills first hand. I have no doubt that he gave you very good, solid advice.

...just don't tell him I said that!:D

20. John in Oz

John in Oz

I'll upload some pics of a mates FED flat head he wants to sell, they have only done a few passes, about 10 or so, with pro build chassis etc and conforms with Australian Drag Racing regulations etc, it would be a fun neat car.

I'll post this so I can find it again when I get the photos on photobucket.

21. You rotten bastard Buddy :D . . . I was going to start the New Year off right and reduce my amount of flathead bullshit -- lookout now, it is coming fast and furious! I have Pete to back me up and he has forgotten more than I'll ever know -- maybe I'll get him drunk at Bonneville and pick his brain for more 'secrets' to bestow upon the 'flat masses'. :rolleyes:

22. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

OOPS! Damn, I knew I should have backed slowly away...:eek:

23. fenderless

fenderless
    from Norway

Well, HAMB strikes again:D!
    Or should i say B&S:D
    I am sooo thankful for all the help i have had from Bored&Stroked, so mutch valuble innformation. I really can`t thank him anought, but again
    THANK YOU:D! And when i think about it, there must be other HAMBèrs that have learned from him!!

I have actually done some stuff today also, welded up tank brackets!
    But it was so cool to see my friends after New Year, that we spent alot of time in the "office", benchracing and drinking coffee:D!
    My neighbor in the garage, mocked up his SBC with the 6-71 blower, and the Barndoor, the tallest SBC i have ever seen, over 1 meter tall:eek:!

Taildragger&fenderless

24. jangleguy

jangleguy

Good to see the Lewis family twin flatty rail getting some HAMB love. These guys live up the freeway from me. Great work, nice details, etc. That car hypnotizes me at every race and has been an inspiration. Hope it gets you through the Norwegian winter, Fenderless! Good luck with yours.
    Scotty

25. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Man, we have to talk! If you don't quit it, he'll NEVER be able to get his racing helmet on!:D

Naw. Dale's a real helpful and knowledgeable guy. There are a LOT of us that have benefited immensely from him:cool:

!

26. fenderless

fenderless
    from Norway

38Flattie: i`m shure he`ll fit:D!

Alot of progress yesterday, we worked from early in the morning to late evening. Roger welded up alot of aluminium brackets, soldered the torsion springs and some minor weldup(final) on the intake.
    We made a new catchtank aprox 1. gallon, the old one was to small.
    It was a great experince to make curved end plates for the tank on the pullmax, very nice tool:D!
    We also made a new dash/steeringshaft support, but has to fit it in the car before final fabrication. It is gona hold the two guages, if i find one more, has already bought an vintage Sun Blue-Line water temp, but need a mech. oil guage. So if anybody has one, give me a signal:)?

A picture of The school project, T-27 Gasser.

Enough boring for now.

Taildragger&fenderless

Attached Files:

27. fenderless

fenderless
    from Norway

Some progress today, made new tank brackets for the catch-tank.
    Made a plastic sleeve for stearingshaft support, and did some more polishing:D!

Got a mail from my very good friend Roger, beside helping me building the dragster, he is currently building a modell 27 gasser:D!
    So he sendt me a picture of his homemade 12 spoke front wheels!!
    Really looking good:)!
    Oh! forgot, he is also building his late modell A Ford Coupe, and building a classic dragbike for another crazy guy:D!

Taildragger&fenderless

Attached Files:

28. fenderless

fenderless
    from Norway

Hi.

Last update!
    Block is now done, just await's new crank bearings, gotten wrong type twice:eek:! Chassis is ready to be painted again, also found the right colour for the body and sceme for scallops.
    Used the afternoon polishing the milled down end bearing plate on the blower:)!
    Got hold of a scoop e couple of weeks ago, but have not desided to use it? We will do some more details next weekend.
    If abybody has an idea on a name for it.........:)?

Taildragger&fenderless

Attached Files:

29. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Man, that is wicked bad-ass looking!:cool:

30. Damn Fenderless that is beautiful, can't wait till you get this together and run it!!!!. Whose injectors are those and what dia?...................... lookin for the video..............