Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Rock & Roll Radio History: New Year's Eve With Wolfman Jack !

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jonnie King, Dec 30, 2010.

1. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

That was cool Jonnie----thanks for posting it!

2. rjaustin421

rjaustin421

There was an interview with Linda Ronstadt who grew up in the southwest (Arizona I think) years ago .In the interview she said that Wolfman was a huge influence on her because he was working across the border in Mexico for a station with a very powerful signal which carried way far into the US because they did not have to adhere to the FCC rules for signal strength stepping on other stations and blocking them out. The Wolfman played the music that was never heard on the US stations which at that time were all tight format top 40 genres in the early to mid 60's.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2011
  3. Zack Methvin

Zack Methvin
    BANNED

Isn't it strange how someone will come along only once in a lifetime that makes a life long impression? Take Elvis, Buddy Holly and especially Wolfman Jack. Wolfman was (still is to me) an American music icon who added an extra special shine to some already wonderful music. I remember the EXACT spot i was when i heard him for the first time and i remember the EXACT spot i was at when i heard he has passed away. When i heard he was gone that literally ruined the rest of my week. Wolfman had a way of making you laugh even when you were not in the mood to laugh. I could always go to my radio when he was on the air and before i left i was smiling. He was the BEST and he is missed very much. His laugh and howling will live on forever!

Wolfman Jack
    Date of Birth: 01/21/1938
    Date of Death: 07/01/1995

RIP my Radio Friend

Last edited: Jan 1, 2011
  4. Good thread!

5. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

What a GREAT way to start a NEW YEAR ! Postive thoughts all the way !

I originally posted this just to share with all of my friends here at the H.A.M.B. a piece of personal Audio History that I've treasured for years...and it's turned into a FANTASTIC sharing of memories for ALL OF US !

Yes, rj, the Wolfman powered over the airwaves out of Mexico. First XERF, and later XERB, and entertained millions of listeners every night. He also influenced not only Linda Ronstadt, but many "wanna-be" dj's out there who loved what he did...but could never hope of imitating him.

There was only ONE Wolfman Jack !

JK www.legends.thewwbc.net

PS: Got memories of Jack ? Post 'em here, and thanks in advance ! It's an honor to see how he moved everyone who ever listened to him.

6. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL MY FRIENDS HERE AT THE H.A.M.B. !

I've just re-mastered the Audio on this Special New Year's Eve Historic R&R Radio AirCheck so you could enjoy it better than ever.

AND, in answer to many, many requests by all of you here on the Board, if you listen closely, you can now "CLAP FOR THE WOLFMAN" with the Guess Who as a part of the package !
    http://www.legends.thewwbc.net/gpage25.html

"HAVE MERCY"...ENJOY !

Jonnie

Last edited: Dec 30, 2011
  7. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Loaded and ready to fire off to my Friends. Very Cool, Thanks for sharing.

8. This tickles me................"You got any of them secret agent spyscopes,man,that pulls in the sky,the moon and the planets....and the satellites,and the little bitty spacemen?"

You must have the wrong number partner?:p

9. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Johnny Gee, thamesvan...

Thanks ! And, somewhere, from up there in Space, The Wolfman, is probably lookin' down, laughin' and wishing ALL of us here on the Board a HAPPY NEW YEAR all over again. I loved the guy. One of the true "Legends" of Broadcasting. It was a privilege to know him.

Jonnie

10. I can't even begin to imagine the number of lives he touched while he was here. Thanks for the memories Wolfman and thanks Jonnie for helping to keep his spirit alive..............Don.

11. robertsregal

robertsregal

The Wolfman RULES!!!!!!!!!!!

12. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Don,

Thanks you so much.

The Wolfman was "The Real Deal" and as much a part of our R&R Crusin' Kulture as we all are. And keeping his voice, his memory, and, as you said "...his spirit alive" is something I'm SO happy to do so that he'll never be forgotten.

Hope you & your family have a great 2012 too !

PS: Here's another pic of Jack from when we first met at my station then, KSLQ/St. Louis, about 1975. We asked him to do a part of our Afternoon Drive Show and this is him on-the-air from the 3p-4p hour.

Jonnie

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 30, 2011
    lothiandon1940 likes this.
  13. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Fellow Hambers !

'Tis New Year's Eve, 2011...if you missed this yesterday, here's your chance to see how it went with The Wolfman in 1993 !

AND, in answer to many, many requests by all of you here on the Board, if you listen closely, you can once again "CLAP FOR THE WOLFMAN" with the Guess Who as a part of the package !

Have a safe one tonight, my friends !!

Jonnie

PS: Here's another cool pic of TWM when he was with us for that afternoon in 1975 at KSLQ Radio in St. Louis

Attached Files:

14. cool37

cool37
    from SoCal

Awesome! When I grow up I want to be like the Wolfman!

15. paintcan54

paintcan54

Thanks, for the link. Just sitting going over the post and found this, and it's only 14 min. till the New Year, guess what I'm gona' play to bring in the New Year. Clap for the Wolfman.

16. 296ardun

296ardun

he was everywhere, even in Cincinnati...was in the airport on the moving sidewalk heading for the gates, Wolfman, hat and all, passes me going the other way...turned and stared, not sure that it was really him...the guy behind me said..."yup, that was him."....still miss his show

17. When I was in high school in central Oregon [Bend area] my buddy Jim had a nice black 50 ford with the original radio in it...we'd cruise town all night, drinking beer and listening to XERB in CALIFORNIA BABY! to da wolfman. 100,000 watts made it all the way to central Oregon from Mexico..never forget his humor.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
  18. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

19. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Sincere thanks for the warmth & memories shown here for the Wolfman.

He impacted the lives of so many through the years...and still does thanks to the Archived Audio that has been preserved by those of us who knew him and respected his talent, creativity, and, his love of his audience & fans.

BTW: He loved beaming out music to the "Cruisers" listening in than almost anyone I've known !

Jonnie www.legends.thewwbc.net

20. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

TO ALL MY FELLOW HAMBERS :

If you're new to the H.A.M.B., or, missed it last year...this ya gotta hear ! It's the "Biggest Kat To Cruise With", my old friend : "WOLFMAN JACK" !

As mentioned at the origin of this Thread, the "Wolfman" surprised me with a New Year's Eve phone call while I was On-The-Air at "Juke Box 96" Radio in St. Louis.

I've re-edited a bit of the Audio...it's short, sweet, and, just as I remember him: THE BEST !! PLUS: The pix you see are very rare and come from my private archives, and, yes, you can "Clap For The Wolfman" with the Guess Who !!

Here's the Link: http://www.legends.thewwbc.net/gpage25.html

AND, yes, "Have Mercy"...if YOU have a "Wolfman" story bring it on for all of us to share !

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO EACH & EVERYONE !

21. Thanks Jonnie King! It was great hearing da Wolfman again.

Man, I love the fact that you have all this stuff archived. Amazing really.

22. HarryT

HarryT
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Once again Jonnie, thank you for the great memories!
    Jim

23. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Saxman...

Thank you ! Always glad to share the Archives ! Always appreciate your kind comments. The "Wolfman" was an amazing talent and a true original !

24. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

The Wolfman Lives!
    [​IMG]
    In our Hearts, and Soul!

25. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
  26. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

HarryT (Jim)...

You're welcome, my friend ! And thanks to all for the pm's & eMails !
    That's what makes the H.A.M.B. SO COOL...we're all in this together.

AND, the "Wolfman" touched everyone who ever listened to him...that's why I dug this Audio out of my Archives: he was a friend who I never want to be forgotten.

27. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I cant believe he has been gone for that long since it just seems like yesterday hearing about it.

28. Jeff J

Jeff J

I play my 8 track tapes of him Wolfman Jack ) in the garage all the time on my Monkey wards 8 track player that I bought with my paper route money when I was 14 . Memories all the time !!!!

29. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Jeff...

Your thoughts are the same as mine.

It was a privilege to know him...and, really, re-living that night he called (19 years ago tonight) takes me back completely to that moment in time and I remember it all-over again, exactly as it happened.

30. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

It is shocking to think of how many people we lost over the years and its not the same without them,I probably wont watch or listen any new years eve shows since it does not seem right any more.